Official, confirmed, verified "You are the umpire" thread

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul
Even something as simple as the toss is drastically altered from the laws of the game for broadcast games!
Absolutely right that the Match Referee is the one that must be present, certainly in test matches at least. And that list of items would, I suspect, pretty much always be stipulated in the playing conditions for the competition.
The toss is only required to take place on the field of play. Doing it by the pitch, however, means you are on the square and hence very likely to get an obvious result. In the outfield if the grass is a bit thicker and there is a thatch layer etc, depending on the ground of course but you run a bigger than expected risk of an ... ambiguous result.

Fun Fact, did you know the laws allow for the boundaries to be worth whatever the umpires and the captains agree they should be worth?

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Fun Fact, did you know the laws allow for the boundaries to be worth whatever the umpires and the captains agree they should be worth?
Is this for real? The captains must try it out at least once then.

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul
Is this for real? The captains must try it out at least once then.

Yes - I mean often the playing regs will overrule the Laws and explicitly set it out, although I'm aware of a number of high ranking competitions where it isn't. So the opportunity is there. You do need agreement between the umpires and captains and you would hope umpires are sensible enough you dont end up with a situation where a 4 becomes 100 type thing. There was talk around the statisticians traps a few years ago suggesting using this to adjust for the size of ground, but that never went anywhere.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Honestly, haven't been following this thread like I should have been. Will answer those new questions soon (after the TKR match).

Some new ones...

A fielder sees a ball clearly going for six, but just behind the boundary. He steps behind the ropes, takes a running start, his foot does contact the field before he takes an amazing catch. Is it out? (easy)

Two batsmen are woefully running to the striker's end. Both end up at the same end (striker), with both batsmen putting their bats in at the same time. At the other end there is no batsman and the wicket is put down. Who is out? (medium)

Can a keeper field with no gloves? Or indeed for a matter of fact, can you have a field without a keeper? (hard - must reference rules/laws)

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Honestly, haven't been following this thread like I should have been. Will answer those new questions soon (after the TKR match).

Some new ones...

A fielder sees a ball clearly going for six, but just behind the boundary. He steps behind the ropes, takes a running start, his foot does contact the field before he takes an amazing catch. Is it out? (easy)
Will have to see... Assuming he does not make contact with the boundary after he catches the ball... It is out.

Two batsmen are woefully running to the striker's end. Both end up at the same end (striker), with both batsmen putting their bats in at the same time. At the other end there is no batsman and the wicket is put down. Who is out? (medium)
Oh my god, what a coincidence. Well, the person who was actually at the non striker before end would be out.

Can a keeper field with no gloves? Or indeed for a matter of fact, can you have a field without a keeper? (hard - must reference rules/laws)
Yes and Yes

A keeper can field with no gloves... (I think so)
Yes We can field without a wicket keeper. Worcestershire did it once....
Worcestershire ditch keeper as Dhoni gives idea for controversial ploy | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Contrarianump/fake passport and myself are having a healthy discussion over the toss lol. Can't give a definite answer on anything until we both agree. (We're easily agreed after some discussing don't fret...)

- It is a night game and the dew is crazy. The bowlers have to wipe the ball after every delivery. A spinner bowls and gets some spin, knocking the batsmans's off stump back. But his (white) towel falls off of his waist around the same time he delivers the ball. The batsman complains. Is he out? (Easy)

- A batsman has just defended a ball down to his toes. He looks at both the bowler and the keeper before picking the ball up from his feet. The slip fielder appeals. Is the batsman out? (Medium)

- The number 10 and 11 batsmen continue to run right up the middle of the pitch all the time, despite multiple warnings. You are concerned about the state of the pitch. What can you do? (Easy to medium to hard, depending on which Law you want to read)

Last edited:

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Going to provide a controversial historical question :p

Pakistan are still playing tests in Pakistan (1980's). Javed Miandad is batting. Bowler bowls and ball pitches in line with stumps. Miandad misses the ball and it raps the pads. If DRS had existed it shows ball was hitting middle stump half way up
Fielding team gives loud appeal

Is Miandad given out ? Give reasons for your answer

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul

Some new ones...

No issue with the last one as long as he's taken off from within the field of play.

Whoever was closer prior to drawing level would be safe.

The law permits, not requires the use of protective equipment. However if the fielder is taking up substantially the same position and discharging the same duties then they are considered a keeper. I can't think of any reference that requires a keeper.

Some would argue it's against the spirit, but it wouldn't stop me allowing it, nor would I stop batsmen leaving the ball and running byes.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Contrarianump/fake passport and myself are having a healthy discussion over the toss lol. Can't give a definite answer on anything until we both agree. (We're easily agreed after some discussing don't fret...)

- It is a night game and the dew is crazy. The bowlers have to wipe the ball after every delivery. A spinner bowls and gets some spin, knocking the batsmans's off stump back. But his (white) towel falls off of his waist around the same time he delivers the ball. The batsman complains. Is he out? (Easy)

- A batsman has just defended a ball down to his toes. He looks at both the bowler and the keeper before picking the ball up from his feet. The slip fielder appeals. Is the batsman out? (Medium)

- The number 10 and 11 batsmen continue to run right up the middle of the pitch all the time, despite multiple warnings. You are concerned about the state of the pitch. What can you do? (Easy to medium to hard, depending on which Law you want to read)
Depends upon the umpire. Saw in an IPL match. Rajat Bhatia was bowling and his towel fell down. The batsman was caught behind but the ball was declared dead. In his next over, a similar thing happened. The towel fell again but the ball was hit to the boundary, and it was given. So I cant really say.

Perhaps not. If the ball had stopped moving and neither the bowler nor the keeper were rushing to take the ball, the batsman was well within his rights to pick the ball up and pass to the bowler or keeper. This kind of play is very unsportsmanlike from the slip fielder :p

After multiple warnings, at first penalty runs must be added to the other team's total. Even after that, if they continue to run in the middile of the pitch, they must be declared out (I think)

PS - I know next to nothing about the laws... I only answer these questions according to the experiences I have seen in matches or heard in commentary.

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul

If the batsmen has been distracted the umpire can call dead ball. If the batsmen made no attempt to play the ball as he was not ready after 'recovering' from the towel falling then that would also provide protection.

It would depend if the bowler or keeper have given consent.

Without getting too technical, it's a first and final that applies to the whole team. Further incidences are 5 run penalties with a disallowance of runs.[DOUBLEPOST=1502585712][/DOUBLEPOST]Although, it needs to be stressed there is an art to umpiring effectively that the laws do not cover. Answers here might be technically correct to the laws, but don't consider things like talking to players, giving them a heads up etc.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
1. I would have to go in the batsman's favour and call it a dead ball due to the towel falling and potentially causing a distraction.

2. If the batsman has the approval from the fielding team then he can pick the ball up himself and hand it to them. As he has already looked at both the bowler and keeper and they didn't disapprove per say, I would go that he's allowed. Agreed that the slip fielder is just being a bit of a jerk.

3. See the above post for a very great and correct answer.[DOUBLEPOST=1502585951][/DOUBLEPOST]The spirit of the game oversees all I think...

Last edited:

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul
The spirit of the game oversees all I think

This is a point that can be lost with these sorts of threads. Particularly as umpires is really important to have a through knowledge of the laws, but that will only get you so far.

Mankad is the classic example of this, there is no requirement for any consideration of any discussion or warnings or anything like that. You are technically right to give it out straight away but it won't be appreciated by anyone...

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Agreed totally. But the purpose of this thread is to know the kind of obscure sorts of Laws that may occur.

However if one has even half a brain...then things on the field can be handled very easily without even having to refer to a Law book.

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul
1) The batsmen is not ready, bowler bowls the ball, batsmen tries to block the ball but nicks it onto his stumps

2) Lunch is 12-1pm, at 12:55 the captain declares his innings. Can he do this? What time do you start? What implications does this have in the laws?

3) The batmsen, playing forward has the ball hits his pads and the team goes up for an lbw appeal. The batsmen, out of his crease, watches the umpire for a decision. In the meantime the keeper puts down the stumps with the ball while the batsmen is out of ground. LBW appeal was turned down.

Is the batsmen out? How?

4) What is the difference between a tie and a draw?

Users who are viewing this thread