Which is the best paid web host?

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I would advise(as a friends point of view) that you go with a host that has the best support available. Believe me - you'll need it.
I don't agree. The best host would require no support, in my opinion, because everything would be seamless. If you know what you're doing then hosting support is not that valuable.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Kshitiz... I think i would need your help...

My current host (www.net4.in) is due for renewal in June. I am NOT happy with their service, and the features they are giving now. They stopped providing MS Access database support midway, and are asking for 2000 bucks to get it back. Certainly not what I had expected, nor I would like to pay so much as annual "database charges".

I obviously need another host. My requirements are :

Windows Server (Website is ASP Based)
MS Access Database Support
Atleast 100 MB Space
Not sure about the Bandwidth atm...

I don't think i would like to spend a fortune on this, and godaddy, etc are not priority for me.

I understand your company deals with the same, and i would like to have a quote for this :)

omkarjere

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Kshitiz... I think i would need your help...

My current host (www.net4.in) is due for renewal in June. I am NOT happy with their service, and the features they are giving now. They stopped providing MS Access database support midway, and are asking for 2000 bucks to get it back. Certainly not what I had expected, nor I would like to pay so much as annual "database charges".

I obviously need another host. My requirements are :

Windows Server (Website is ASP Based)
MS Access Database Support
Atleast 100 MB Space
Not sure about the Bandwidth atm...

I don't think i would like to spend a fortune on this, and godaddy, etc are not priority for me.

I understand your company deals with the same, and i would like to have a quote for this :)
Hey Abhas I need to know about their services because I was thinking to buy a domain name from them are they good ?

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Well.. I'm not too sure about the domains, but regarding the hosting, i'm not impressed.
This is mainly because they changed their terms midway, and started asking for more money to support MS Access db. They had not mentioned it earlier, when i booked space with them, and after sending them a query, they enabled it for me the 1st time.
(PS: That took 20 days to implement. They replied to my query after 1 Week, where they said it was not supported. I called them up, and I told them there is no option to buy a MS Access database in their "Buy a Database" Form. They kept saying you have to buy it. I was really pissed off, and strictly told them if they do not do as i say they've had it from me. I threatened to sue :p They promptly Replied in an e-mail saying that my MS Access database support is on, and i can designate a folder to keep my database.)
Now, they have disabled it again, and they are also charging Rs. 2000 for it.

I would recommend you should look for some reviews about Net4 before choosing it as your domain service,

I have bought my domain(s) from www.felixindia.com
on paying 1 $ extra, i have all the options relating to the MR records, CNAME records, etc...

It has not given me any problem during my tenure (around 7-8 months already).

Hope that helps.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
I don't agree. The best host would require no support, in my opinion, because everything would be seamless. If you know what you're doing then hosting support is not that valuable.
Yeah. But you cant do anything when someone else on your shared server is spamming a lot and the whole IP address gets blocked. Now one would say that the server should block it, but it really isnt what the server is supposed to do, and neither can it do it 100% accurately. There are numerous other instances like this. ;)

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Yeah. But you cant do anything when someone else on your shared server is spamming a lot and the whole IP address gets blocked. Now one would say that the server should block it, but it really isnt what the server is supposed to do, and neither can it do it 100% accurately. There are numerous other instances like this. ;)
That really doesn't tie in with hosting support, though. In fact, after you purchase hosting, you shouldn't really care about what the internal hosting is doing--if you did you would host it yourself or a virtual dedicated server. Hosting support is such as Abhas mentioned above--a good host would never get into the situation where you would have to call them up about stuff, is my opinion.

ATD, maybe?

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
That really doesn't tie in with hosting support, though. In fact, after you purchase hosting, you shouldn't really care about what the internal hosting is doing--if you did you would host it yourself or a virtual dedicated server. Hosting support is such as Abhas mentioned above--a good host would never get into the situation where you would have to call them up about stuff, is my opinion.

ATD, maybe?
Yeah. True, but not completely. Plus if someone is a newbie to web hosting(Someone who knows how to install scripts with fantastico but doesnt know about DNS, Domains etc.) IS going to need help. Now even though its not the responsibility of the company, some companies do provide that support though, which is a really nice addon. And not everyone can get a virtual server, is it? :)

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Yeah. True, but not completely. Plus if someone is a newbie to web hosting(Someone who knows how to install scripts with fantastico but doesnt know about DNS, Domains etc.) IS going to need help. Now even though its not the responsibility of the company, some companies do provide that support though, which is a really nice addon. And not everyone can get a virtual server, is it? :)
Hmm... I'm still not sure why you would need to know too much about DNS/Domains from your hosting company--I would think that is the responsibility of your registration company. Sure--your host can have support for how to get things like SQL and such up and running, but the fact remains that any good host should make it pretty easy to do that. :) For example, by offering cPanel. ;)

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Hmm... I'm still not sure why you would need to know too much about DNS/Domains from your hosting company--I would think that is the responsibility of your registration company. Sure--your host can have support for how to get things like SQL and such up and running, but the fact remains that any good host should make it pretty easy to do that. :) For example, by offering cPanel. ;)
Yeah Cpanel, it is something which simplifies tasks to a great level. If a host doesnt give you cpanel, he's looting you. Thats why, I do give that. That and a thousand other free things, including a free site builder(an efficient one). But I still say that even after those, one can need support. Even though I have a fully automated system, in which you can choose where you want your website to be hosted on the net. :)

Users who are viewing this thread