who is the greatest ?

G

goochie333

Well in my view there is only one Graham Gooch
it would be said that in times of need and when u needed to get out of a pickle G.A.Gooch would be high on the list of openers in world cricket for that period and I will never forget the 146 at headingly against an awesome westindies attack on a dodgy pitch and being present on both days of the 333 vs srilanka at lords is among my fave moments in cricket

along with Goochie would be Athers his historical and monumental 185 vs South Africa was incredible but for Jack Russell thou I think England would have been in for a pasting

Even tho his career was almost over in the 80's Geoff Boycott was a hand full and even though he didn't quite do the business he is still one of the top order greats in English Test History

then of course you can not have a list with out Gower and Gatting. David Gowers consumate ease at batting was always a delight to watch especially when pasting the Aussies and Gatt ..... Mike Gatting was always batting for England come rain or shine and the three G's Athers ...not forgetting the reason for my love of the game one I.T.BOTHAM make this top Six Legend in it self

G.A.GOOCH hs 333 v sri :bow:
G.BOYCOTT hs 246 v ind
M.A.ATHERTON hs 185 v s.a
D.I.GOWER hs 215 v aus :bow:
M.W.GATTING hs 207 v ind :bow:
I.T.BOTHAM hs 208 v ind :bow:

M

Maestro

Your probably right.

But whoes the greatest one day player for England from the 80's-2000.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Greatest one-day player for England is probably Neil Fairbrother. He knew just when to accelerate the scoring, and when to just coast. He was capable of turning an innings completely on it's head. He'd make it into my all-time ODI World XI.

As for the best English batsman of the 80s-00s my vote would be split between Gooch, Gower and Atherton

R

ricky123

B) it is really a shame that even after having so many great players ,england dint win world cup even once ,but they have been in the finals 3 times, may be it is cuz of soccer has become the no 1 sport in uk. :sorry:

M

Maestro

Yes I would agree that Neil Fairbrother was a great English one day player. Along with Grame Hick as a strong fast scoring batsman, they were not easy to get out.

Users who are viewing this thread