Who is your favourite All-Rounder???

graemejw

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Originally posted by andrew_nixon79@Jul 5 2003, 10:19 AM
I was just making a point that statistics can't really be used to show who is a good player.

I think a lot of people are called all-rounders when in fact they're simply batsmen who can bowl, or bowlers who can bat, it's very rare you get a genuine all-rounder. In current international cricket I'd say the list of genuine all-rounders is:

Kallis
Flintoff
Cairns
Andrew Hall (maybe)

And if you're being picky about the defintion of an all-rounder, a case could be made for Alec Stewart.

Batsmen who can bowl well

Tendulkar
Ganguly
Jayasuria
Mark Butcher (occasionally)
Micheal Vaughan
Andrew Symonds
Shahid Afridi

Bowlers who can bat well

Azhar Mahmood
Ian Harvey
Andy Bichel
Heath Streak
Wasim Akram
Shaun Pollock

Even in the past you can only make a case for a few players of being genuine all-rounders, probably WG Grace, Ian Botham and Garfield Sobers
Didnt you use statistics to classify the players? :rolleyes: Anyways I dont want this to go any futher.

That list is almost perfect. Almost because you can always add players like Chris Galye, Shoaib Malik, Chaminda Vass, and some others...

D

Duncan

where's adam gilchrist, ricki ponting, andrew symonds, andrew bichel, brett lee, jason gillespie, damien martyn, darren lehmann......and so on.....

i would hav votd 4 dem :devilish:

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Gilchrist is a fair point.

Ponting has oinly taken 4 test wickets and 3 ODI wickets, hardly an all-rounder

Lee and Gillespie are really just bowlers, they rarely bat well.

Martyn doesn't bowl much anymore.

Symonds and Lehman are batsmen who bowl.

Bichel is a bowler who bats.

graemejw

Club Cricketer
Lehman is no good. I remember, Lara hit him for 3 sixes off his first 3 balls of his second over and finshed the last ODI match. I think Lara also hit the last ball of his first over for a six too. Thats 4 sixes in 4 balls :lol: He is just a part timer.

I

imported_graham

i reckon Gilchrist is bettr than an allrounder cuz, he can bat, keep, and field (runouts)!!
he's like bettr dan ponting, jk :P :P :D :D

wackojacko

International Cricketer
i like Ian Harvey cause i used to live in the town where he woz from, Wonthaggi, but now i moved.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Ian Harvey is a very good player, and has been unlucky not to play test cricket. He's also the only player to score a century in the Twenty20 cup.

Users who are viewing this thread