Your Favourite World Cup

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Of the 3 world cups I have watched (96, 99, 03), I would pick 2003 as my favorite, primarily because it is the one I remember most (seeing that I was only 9 and 12 during the other ones and memories of that have since faded in my head). 1996 was a great World Cup because it saw the resurgence of Sri Lanka in a big way. India also played pretty well.

99 was a horrible World Cup for India--so the less said the better. Lance Klusener did provide tons of entertainment, though, and I still remember the semifinal between South Africa and Australia almost photographically, and the flow of emotions afterwards. It was kind of anti-climactic, though, as Pakistan were destroyed by Australia in the final in a little more than half a day's play.

2003 was great because India were considered underdogs and every match we played, it seemed like a loss would knock us out of the tournament. But we made it all the way to the final before being blown away by the Aussies. Sachin Tendulkar was simply on fire and my favorite games were the ones where we destroyed Pakistan and England.

However, any world cup would be my favorite given India's impeccable record against arch-rivals Pakistan. ;) 6-0, is it?

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've only seen 03 and 99. I saw bits and pieces of 99, and remember the Aus-RSA thing. Great atmosphere. All my uncles and all were watching it, and I was asking my dad "What's the score" on the last ball. He said they needed 1 run with a wicket left. And when he got runout, I started laughing :D

Brian Lara_06

Club Cricketer
2003 i watched bits of the 1999 world Cup But i dont remember any other world Cup i remember Australia Beating South Africa in 1999 But i remember the 2003 World Cup a lot more Like Lee taking a Hat trick aganist Kenya

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Has to be 2003 even though we lost the final.
The others,well i did see 1999 and 1996.
But 2003 has to be the best by far.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
I've never seen a World Cup properly, err Maybe 92, and just because thats the only world cup of which I've seen final of, I did'nt watch 2003 WC as I did'nt like cricket at that time much, It all started by watching Wasim Akram which gave me alot of interest in cricket maybe thats why i got Cricket 2004 and so on..

And how about a poll...

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The 1996 World Cup got me full time into cricket. The first match of the 96 world cup i watched was the india-pakistan quarterfinal which India won amazingly. I didnt know anything about cricket then, and when someone asked me what the score of Pakistan was, I said some 100 odd runs for 49 wickets! It was actually 100 for no loss or something

I watched the 1999 World Cup. Sachin going back to attend his dad's funeral, but then coming back and scoring a century! India losing inexplicably against Zimbabwe with Robin Singh failing to win it, the memorable win against Pakistan

But 2003 got to be my best! It entertained me more than anything else. I watch the World Cup only for India. Other nations dont interest me as much. And India's run in this world cup was the best that I had seen!

Amit89

School Cricketer
2003............simply becuase it was memrable for India although we lost in the final, India gave it their all but they fell short, it was memrable.

Before the world cup many Indian world cup fans were upset basically due to India's disasterous tour of New Zealand, beaten very easily in the test's and odi's, India lost a warm up match in the warm up games of the world cup. Nobody gave India a chance, I did not think they could get through to the super 6's stage. After India's defeat to Australia in the first round, I was almost in tears due to the fact that we are playing very badly, none of our batsmen are clicking and we needed miracle to win the world cup. But Sachin Tendulkar gave a statement to India promising a comeback and promsing that he will play well and team India did it in style, the great huddle got the Indian team back togther they clicked at the right moment, Tendulkar led from the front, it was India playing at their best. India won 8 out of 8 games in a row, almost one sided. The game agaisnt Pakistan was memrable, Tendulkar delivered a knock that the whole world wanted to see, in front of billions of fans expectations and watching the man, Tendulkar went out all guns blazing, simply at his best. Although India lost the final very badly, India did what no other fan or country expected, they won agaisnt all the odds, India's comeback was truly the best comeback I have ever seen them in my life, Tendulkar was unstoppable, unfortunatly he failed on the big day, but hats off to him for making many Indian fans happy with his batting, hats off to team India in that world cup.

Users who are viewing this thread