Making bowling more enjoyable, seeing weather/pitch effects etc. - invitation to playtest

tazzron

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Similarly with spin:

Smith: drift:2, all other attributes 8 apart from googly which is zero as Smith doesn't bowl them as far as I know.
Maxwell: drift 0, AOA: 8

These are set low because they are only part-time bowlers. While a good spin bowler would be set more like this: Drift 0, AOA:14.

Drift is set low for similar reasons to the low swing ratings.

He does bowl them:

2nd Test: Australia v Pakistan at Abu Dhabi, Oct 30-Nov 3, 2014 | Cricket Commentary | ESPN Cricinfo (Pakistan 1st innings, commentary on 148.6 over mentions Smith bowling a googly)

2nd Test: Australia v Pakistan at Abu Dhabi, Oct 30-Nov 3, 2014 | Cricket Commentary | ESPN Cricinfo (Pakistan 2nd innings, commentary on 37.5 states him bowling a googly)

4th Test: Australia v India at Sydney, Jan 6-10, 2015 | Cricket Commentary | ESPN Cricinfo (India 2nd innings, commentary on 56.6, he bowls a googly)

When he does bowl, he usually brings out the googly at least once in a spell. The more you know!

BagoZA

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So tried Mrconnors teams last night, must say I was impressed by how it played out.

I only bowled, just wanted to see how the AI bats with these settings.

In total I had 3 edges behind, all to the keeper, 2 off quicks where the batsmen was pushing outside off and one to a spinner, the batsmen came down the wicket and played inside the line, the ball didn't turn so it looked like a proper dismissal. I got 1 lbw, again with a spinner, only 2 catches in the outfield, the first was when the batsmen took on long on off a spinner, he came down the wicket and it ended up being a ankle high fill toss on middle and leg, so very believable, the other when he hit a leg stump half volley straight down deep fine legs throat. I got 3 bowled, all were yorkers in the last 5 overs, the AI ended their 50 overs on 210/9.

Now the only question is, who is going to re-skill all the teams?

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Fantastic to see that it came out well in a limited overs game... Was that the England/WI teams or Rebels and Weaklings?

Unfortunately unless or until Big Ant engage with this thread and let us know if the over powered skills will be addressed in patch 3, we don't know whether it's worth re skilling all the teams or not.

BagoZA

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Fantastic to see that it came out well in a limited overs game... Was that the England/WI teams or Rebels and Weaklings?

Unfortunately unless or until Big Ant engage with this thread and let us know if the over powered skills will be addressed in patch 3, we don't know whether it's worth re skilling all the teams or not.

That was with the Rebels and Weaklings teams, that was the first time that I could be bothered to bowl out a entire innings, was really enjoyable!

Ricco_M

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Finally completed a ODI there with the modified WI and ENG teams as edited by Blockerdave

Firstly I must say that I normally just play DBC online and so cant really compare AI against the default settings so I can just give my view on the experience of this match.

Anyway I played on Pro difficulty with random conditions (screenshot below shows actual pitch and weather conditions and teams).

I used WI, lost the toss and was stuck in to bat, I initially struggled (maybe given that batting stats have been lowered) but managed a recovery from of sorts, mostly through Ramdins counter attacking century, recovering from 59-5 to being bowled out for 236 in 49th over. AI bowling was challenging enough for me and field placings were acceptable given the context of a ODI but I felt 30-40 runs short as hard to score with tailenders at the death.

To their Innings and the AI got off to a flyer in the first 10 overs and I although I managed to pull the RR back in mid-overs I was always behind and they pulled the score in the 44th over with 5 wickets left. I still thoroughly enjoyed the bowling experience and it always felt that I had a chance of taking wickets with the ball beating the bat. I had 3 edges of the bat, one through vacant 2nd slip area, one to dismiss Bell and then also an inside edge from Butler which was given out by the umpire but bizarrely wasn't recorded in game with it going down as a dot? glitch?

The pace of the game and fielders feels right for me now with a few catches just falling short of the outfielder making more realistic ( in default setting the fielders lightning speed would catch nearly everything). Nice to see the ball beating bat more, with mishit shots. Also great to see cut shots and square drives through point region (this is nearly redundant in online game) not just from AI too as I found it easier to play square on the off side, especially when using Ramdin (don't know if was because of line of AI bowling).

Anyway overall I enjoyed the match experience with realistic pacing and it definitely felt a lot 'looser' or less predictable and more enjoyable form of gameplay from default settings, especially when bowling, if that makes sense.

Thanks again to you guys for setting up the teams and putting the effort into improving this - Going to try T20 later in week.

2015-04-21_00002.jpg 2015-04-21_00004.jpg 2015-04-21_00005.jpg 2015-04-21_00006.jpg 2015-04-21_00008.jpg 2015-04-21_00009.jpg

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
@Ricco_M really good to see it playing out well for ODIs! That's you and @BagoZA getting good limited overs results[DOUBLEPOST=1429650525][/DOUBLEPOST]I know they've got other stuff on at the moment but still find it a touch odd there's been no BA engagement with this thread - we're just trying to get better playability!

Liam hughes

Club Cricketer
another point of view to this theory is when you play career mode, especially when you first start out your skills are quite low, a lot lower then most of the players in the game and when you're batting edges and plays and misses come along quite regularly, even if you don't make the mistake. But I guess because you don't bowl to yourself in it you don't notice the difference. So I guess that supports this to some point as well.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
@blockerdave I'm trying to find your teams to download. What platform are you playing on?
On PC - academy is cross platform so it shouldn't matter, but I think Xbox at least doesn't show the username of other platforms.

Find the weaklings, that should be only me, then do a find other teams by user and you can get the others

jmarcf

Club Captain
On PC - academy is cross platform so it shouldn't matter, but I think Xbox at least doesn't show the username of other platforms.

Find the weaklings, that should be only me, then do a find other teams by user and you can get the others

Maybe I'm slow today which isn't unusual (well according to she who must be obeyed ;) ) How does one find the weaklings? I play one PC as well

Sourabh007

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
please anyone tell me that what is the main theory of skills in batting and bowling ? Then i will try to edit teams.

Sourabh007

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
i want to know that things.

Users who are viewing this thread