Making bowling more enjoyable, seeing weather/pitch effects etc. - invitation to playtest

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
I've spent the last 2 days playing a bit on veteran with the same attributes as I had on pro. First match, green pitch and cloudy, 65 overs bowled, not a single edge so started again with seam cranked up to maximum, similar conditions 40 odd overs not even a sniff of an edge!!

The positives though are I felt the AI played superbly scoring at around 4 an over and to be honest it felt a bit better than on pro.

I've just completed a 20 over game on veteran and would you believe it, 3 balls in got an edge to the keeper then got another one which was a beauty, hit a crack and seamed away 3 overs later! Again I thought the AI played well and they finished on 132-4. I then bowled as the other team and managed to restrict them to 119-8. Thought the AI played well generally but maybe gave a couple of wickets away to catches but like to think that was because in the last few overs I attempted to cut off all boundary options while allowing them to take singles and when the required run-rate started to increase they appeared to start going more aerial.

So it doesn't seem like lowering the attributes are going to cause problems for the one day format in fact it would appear the opposite. Which is good to know.

Just a damn shame about the lack of edges again playing tests on veteran, so I'm going to go back to pro level for the time being.[DOUBLEPOST=1429703369][/DOUBLEPOST]
i want to know that things.

Knowledge is power!

Sourabh007

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
ok i read full thread and understand but it is only for test matches but what i/we do for odi or t20 matches? Any suggestion

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
ok i read full thread and understand but it is only for test matches but what i/we do for odi or t20 matches? Any suggestion

well you obviously haven't read the whole thread, have you, since a number of people have posted outcomes of limited over matches...

let me tell you what to do - download the teams mentioned or reskill other teams you want to play with; play any game on any level with those teams; give some feedback on how it went... that is all.

Sourabh007

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
well you obviously haven't read the whole thread, have you, since a number of people have posted outcomes of limited over matches...

let me tell you what to do - download the teams mentioned or reskill other teams you want to play with; play any game on any level with those teams; give some feedback on how it went... that is all.
i have downloaded your teams wi,eng and 2 others. Are any teams for testing limited over matches?

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
i have downloaded your teams wi,eng and 2 others. Are any teams for testing limited over matches?
The concept is ,if you compare with real life then a batsman comes with the same skill set for Tests, ODIs and T20s but the difference is on the approach towards these match types by AI [which should be handled by BA in patch#3 hopefully] and what we are doing here is testing how the teams bat and bowl under reduced and realistic attributes and skills....More of a trial and error method and trying matches...
Why is it not being done for all teams?? Because we dont know BA approach to gameplay tweaks in Patch#3...So we wait try with the already done teams created by @blockerdave and share the results to see how it pans out...Different gamers different approach different results...So we are being the testers for the game...

kasabian21

International Coach
I'll write a detailed post when I've got time but from tinkering over the weekend I've found...

When I had equal stats for both my team and the opposition (similar to what Blocker suggested; probably a tad less):

- As everyone else, A LOT more playing and missing.
- Sadly, no increase in edges of pace bowlers (and only 2 off spinners) in a total of 160 overs bowled.
- Still too many wickets caught in the outfield.
- One lbw and one bowled.
- Too many cuts.

When lowering the oppositions batsmen to 2 bars for each skill and my bowlers to 3 helmet rating:

- Still no edges off pace bowling in 70 overs bowled, yet loads of playing and missing
- 1 edge off a spinner which was a played on.
- Still a lot of aerial slogs, despite the batsmen being conservative and having very little skill.
- Too many cuts and too many on-drives.

This makes me conclude that it's not only skill that has an effect, I think it is also batting position, i.e. an opener with 2 bars skill will always play better than a number 11 with the same skills.

One other thing I noticed was that the last ball of the over the opposition always try to slog it!

kasabian21

International Coach
Leading on from my above post, I tried playing a T20 with the two teams mentioned in the latter part - the opposition all having 2 bars for batting skill. In total I had 6 edges:

1) Edge off a leg spinner that was caught by the keeper (full leg break skill, 3 bars for all the rest)
2) Edge off the same leg spinner that was dropped at gully
3) Edge of an off spinner that was dropped at gully (full off break skills, 3 bars for the rest)
4) Edge of an SLA that went through vacant 1st/2nd slip (1 bar for all spin skills)
5) Edge off the same SLA that went through vacant 1st/2nd slip again
6) Edge of a Fast bowler that was caught by the keeper

From playing T20's and ODI's before I have always had MANY more edges than playing Test cricket - and I mean WAY more. There must be a way to translate this over to 'test' cricket. Perhaps specific over matches (two innings of 80 for example), using a white ball under lights perhaps? This is something I will try.

UPDATE

I created the following match type:

- 2 innings per side
- 80 overs per innings
- White ball
- Starting at 11pm
- Test match style wides

1.2 overs in and I get this beauty of an edge. Never seen an edge from the batsman coming down the pitch before so needless to say I've watched it about 57 times over. Might be best to mute the sound as the microphone on my phone is playing up so there's constant rustling during playback. Apologies for poor quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread