Features you want to see in next iteration of Big Ant Cricket

gunit123

County Cricketer
An 'Ultimate Team' mode similar to other major sport games. Only problem is if the next game is similar in popularity/sales, it won't work :(

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
in the same way we can set "brute / conservative / opportunist" etc for batsmen i'd like to be able to set a "type" for bowler: e.g. for fast/med-fast/medium:

"speedster" - you'll get an assortment of deliveries, bowled at max pace; generally short or full.
"swing" - you'll get a majority of good or full length balls bowled to swing, with varying pace and the bouncer used as a surprise delivery
"seam" - accurate, put it on a good line/length and look for movement off the pitch. majority of balls on a good length, occasional short/full.
"back of a length" - a hit the deck bowler with majority of balls back of a length or short, with the occasional fuller pitched ball
"cutter" - this would allow your bowler to deliver cutters at full pace for their bowler type, with the slower ball modifier used for slow cutters. majority of balls to be on a good length with short or full deliveries to be surprise deliveries.

the idea would be that the AI would then follow this (so you feel a bit more variation of opponent), with the individual attributes affecting how well they can hit the specific areas; and in addition it should also affect the human input to make you bowl to the player's strength, so if you're bowling consistently short with a "swing" bowler you'll not get the same results as bowling full etc.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
I quite like that idea Dave although I much prefer mine of being able to set up Cricket Coach style bowling plans that I posted on here a while back. Both ideas would require a bowling accuracy attribute to be added which would give a noticeable difference between good and bad bowlers as such.

Also more should be made of the "corridor of uncertainty". At the moment it's far too easy to bowl that line so it should be made harder to bowl consistently while at the same time be made difficult for the batsman to play.

mani82ua

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
@BigAntStudios plz do add "Crowd Settings" as well. Like
1. Crowd Attenednce => Low, Medium, Max and accordingly audio and visual depends on it
2. Crowd Type => Neutral (like current), Home & Away (crowd only cheer/celebrate home team achievements like in real cricklet plying in Ind or Ban)

Thanks

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Please give us injuries and injury animations - smacked Boycott in the eye with a bouncer and got nothing! He was on 150 at the time a retired hurt would have come in nice...

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
i'd like to see a "captaincy aggression" attribute (or a few attributes) that would modify things like:

how quickly he sets defensive fields/moves existing field settings
bowler changes
number of close catchers
whether he might ask his bowlers to bowl short

this modifier might off set come of the existing weaknesses in the AI and give us a more varied experience rather than every team feeling the same to play against

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
One thing I was thinking might help is if the shot choices were more just more limited, especially for the ai.

So for instance, you can walk out with a noob career player and loft late cuts for six no problem. The fact that you can get so much power on the shot is an issue in itself, especially against medium and spin where carrying for six shouldn't really be a possibility, but even if the power was dialled down it's really not a shot that you can play unless you've got a lot of talent and have done a lot of work on it.

Obv there's a system in there already for assigning abilities for different shots, but it doesn't seem to result in different batsmen having different shots in their locker. If you're bowling to Alastair Cook, as an example (obv it's not up to Big Ant to program unlicensed players but I'd hope it would be doable via the Academy), you ought to be able to rely on the fact that his attacking shots are a very strong pull shot, a hook shot, good cuts or backfoot forces, useable front foot drives through cover or squarer, strongish glances from squareish to fine leg if you drift onto his pads, and not a heck of a lot else.

I wonder if it's because they went for a less rigid system than actually mapping individual shots, so it's more about front foot, back foot and directions. Which might have been a nice idea in practice but it seems like every batsman can play every shot and that's annoying as hell to bowl at, especially when you're getting flayed by tailenders with shots that only the best players in the world should be able to play.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
One thing I was thinking might help is if the shot choices were more just more limited, especially for the ai.

So for instance, you can walk out with a noob career player and loft late cuts for six no problem. The fact that you can get so much power on the shot is an issue in itself, especially against medium and spin where carrying for six shouldn't really be a possibility, but even if the power was dialled down it's really not a shot that you can play unless you've got a lot of talent and have done a lot of work on it.

Obv there's a system in there already for assigning abilities for different shots, but it doesn't seem to result in different batsmen having different shots in their locker. If you're bowling to Alastair Cook, as an example (obv it's not up to Big Ant to program unlicensed players but I'd hope it would be doable via the Academy), you ought to be able to rely on the fact that his attacking shots are a very strong pull shot, a hook shot, good cuts or backfoot forces, useable front foot drives through cover or squarer, strongish glances from squareish to fine leg if you drift onto his pads, and not a heck of a lot else.

I wonder if it's because they went for a less rigid system than actually mapping individual shots, so it's more about front foot, back foot and directions. Which might have been a nice idea in practice but it seems like every batsman can play every shot and that's annoying as hell to bowl at, especially when you're getting flayed by tailenders with shots that only the best players in the world should be able to play.

i just posted in the general discussion, a couple of games i played yesterday was the first time i ever saw two AI batsmen batting differently, and definitely scoring in different areas.

i think in general, the data model for the game is wide but not deep; there's lots of customisation (sensational in fact) but it doesn't always feed in to varied gameplay.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
i think in general, the data model for the game is wide but not deep; there's lots of customisation (sensational in fact) but it doesn't always feed in to varied gameplay.

I think I'd have to agree with that, but to be fair it's a heck of a difficult thing to try and get right. Let's say they limit the shot choices for a Cook type player. We might end up with him leg glancing from off or outside off like KP, or using his pull shot to deliveries that are only just short of a length a la Michael Vaughan, and as a result still being able to score much too easily and still being frustrating to bowl at.

Or let's take Ian Bell. Technically the guy has every conventional shot in the book, but he's actually far more limited in terms of which deliveries he can attack with those shots than more attacking, freescoring players. Both Bell and KP can glance through midwicket for boundaries, for instance, but KP can do it against a perfectly respectable delivery whereas Bell needs something that's in the slot for it.

I think we've discussed before that the game doesn't really seem to model the difference between good and bad deliveries very well, and maybe that's key here.

DBC14 Rocks

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Introduction: My thoughts and review about everything in the DBC14 game. There is no doubt that the developers of DBC14 at Big Ant studios have done a wonderful job on the gameplay of DBC14.

Batting footwork: When batting the batsman is well balanced with realistic footwork and movement.

Batting shots: The game also delivers excellent and smooth batting shots that include, straight drive, cover drive, on drive, leg glance, sweep shot, reverse sweep shot, cut shot, late cut shot and forward and back defence shots.

Batting Controls: The batting controls are very good and easy to use when you get used to them. If you want to play a front foot shot just hold down the left anolog stick, to play a back foot shot just simply hold up the left anolog stick. To control what direction you want to hit the ball just simply drag the right anolog stick in the direction you want the ball to go simple. Batting score 8/10 g

bowling Actions: The bowling actions in DBC14 are not the same for the players in real cricket but i still think that they are still pretty good though.

Bowling delivers: The bowling delivery's are good in DBC14 with the good length, short length and full length delivery. You can also swing and spin the ball by moving the right anolog stick but i do find it very hard to control sometime, so most of the time i don't use. Despite not really using the swing or spin that often i still enjoyed the bowling.

Bowling gameplay: The bowling gameplay has improved greatly with more realistic edges that go to the keeper/slips more often, realistic flying cartwheel stump physics and also a more realistic/ more detailed scorecard. The bowling also has realistic Lbw's and run outs.

bowling score 8/10

fielding: The fielding has improved greatly with it being most realistic with the fielders running speed slowed down at a realistic level. I guess it's better to have fielders that are too fast then too slow. The fielders don't seem to walk to the ball anymore like they once did and that is so much better, if you use AI fielding like me. The fielders seem to be more alert more aware and smarter when fielding the ball. I also like the fielding animations too, i think they look good. Fielding score 8/10

1. Stadiums: This game doesn't have enough stadiums and it makes the game feel that it is unfinished.

Good Graphics: The player models look good as well as the cricket field grass, cricket pitch, sky, cricket ball, cricket bat , cricket stumps and cricket scoreboard.

Bad Graphics: The crowd in this game looks terrible and no doubt it's a disgrace to the game. The game's graphics/textures are very inconsistent meaning, some of them look ok, while others look pathetic. The colouring in this game is terrible, dull, boring and unrealistic.

Graphical problems: The game also has a lot of jagged lines on edges of roofs and also on metal surfaces like stairs, building, fences,rails and poles. The game also has flickering object like lights and things that are metal objects like, poles, metal rails and fences.

Final thoughts: The gameplay is great in this game and no doubt it has great game mechanics too. The game's graphic engine is not bad at all but it's lacking anti aliasing.

Last edited:

kashan123999

has said thanks for this post
i just posted in the general discussion, a couple of games i played yesterday was the first time i ever saw two AI batsmen batting differently, and definitely scoring in different areas.

^This...Although I realise in order to sell the next iteration BigAnt would have to do 'more' than just 'fixing' the A.I, Like some added features here and there (Commentators, More licensed stadiu Stadium Creator, maybe even a fully licensed Australian team atleast), However for me personally, I would just want to get a good 'A.I'. Some sensible scripted randomness, Variety in dismissals, and different type of dismissals across various formats, A.I playing sensibly in different formats and most importantly, There can be a class of variables added to modify how 'weak' areas of a batsman relates to the mistakes and 'the reaction' of those mistakes a batsman might make, as stated earlier that obviously A.I knows where we are going to bowl. So there must be a frequency associated with the mistakes, which directly depends upon the weak areas of the batsman, and weakly related to the general batting areas...And these mistakes,along with the frequency should have a 'set' of outcomes aswell, Like 'playing' late(which will directly relate to chance of edging or ball flying high in the air depending upon the shot, DAMN, so much variables), playing early, etc etc.For me, IF only just 'THIS' A.I part of the game improves and nothing else, not even pitch conditions, swing,seam, spin etc. It would be a definite buy for me.

2. Among other things: I'd like with the batting is there should be a seperate button adjustment for 'nudging' the ball around for 1's and 2's...I dare say pressure sensitive triggers are kind of hard to control for me personally...Not sure what others might have to say about this.

set of 3-5 generic bowling actions for each style of bowling..It would be really really fun btw.

Set of 2-3 type of shot animations...Would be awesome

Frankly speaking, I am quite hopeful of bigant for providing us with these improvement as they have closely listened to our feedback for the last 2-3 years, Moreover the whole structure for 'cricket game' has been now established and it just needs tweaking, here and there and some new features...I honestly feel the next iteration would be a memorable one for me.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors

A while back I posted that I would love to see a shot editor added for each player in the academy with the idea that you could choose what shots they would be able to play or not but also edit the shots themselves, so that you could modify the direction, height power etc. Along the same lines as the shot editor that was created for EA07.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
2. Among other things: I'd like with the batting is there should be a seperate button adjustment for 'nudging' the ball around for 1's and 2's...I dare say pressure sensitive triggers are kind of hard to control for me personally...Not sure what others might have to say about this.

set of 3-5 generic bowling actions for each style of bowling..It would be really really fun btw.

Set of 2-3 type of shot animations...Would be awesome

I like these ideas. Definitely would like to see different animations for shots and could work in conjunction with the shot editor I mentioned and would go a long way to making batsmen seem individual, the same with bowling actions. There are so many things animation-wise that could do this, styles of leave, back-lift, stance, bowlers run up, to name a few.

As for your suggestion regarding a button for nudging personally I would like to see the double trigger shots replaced with nudges and guided shots which would give the game so much more finesse. As it stands I don't use the double trigger shots as I can hit the boundary without them plus they are ugly looking shots that look more at home on a driving range than a cricket ground!

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I have always been a fan of setting up custom field...So would like a field settings without any pre set model [apart from the set of fields we get to scroll and select] just moving around fielders to the position you want...In such creation we can also use L2 look around of the bowler to move fielders to left, right , front and back then and there without any issues...Will be a very new approach on setting the field...

Something like this:

The L2 feature will be for light change to the field...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I have always been a fan of setting up custom field...So would like a field settings without any pre set model [apart from the set of fields we get to scroll and select] just moving around fielders to the position you want...In such creation we can also use L2 look around of the bowler to move fielders to left, right , front and back then and there without any issues...Will be a very new approach on setting the field...

Something like this:

The L2 feature will be for light change to the field...

This approach is not feasible as developers will have to test for unlimited no. of permutations and combinations, which is unlikely to happen, resulting in plenty of exploits and bugs.

Users who are viewing this thread