India's Tour Of Sri Lanka- August 2015

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Excited about the game tomorrow. Having seen the first two tests I would place India as favs. If India play to potential and SL play to potential then India should win. SL will need a combination of extraordinary performance from their players and extremely poor form from the India players to win. There is rain of course, as it always is in SL. However all said and India I would go into the test expecting an India win, Been a while but feels good to go into a game as favs.

It would be a great start for Virat to win his first full series, after taking over as captain, that too in a coutry where India have not won for quite a while now.

India have some extremely talented blokes in the two Sharmas and Binny. Ojha is brand new. I'll say 60-40 India, just. Ashwin is doing too much at the moment. Without him, we would be nowhere.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I'm a big Virat fan & not a Rohit hatter,but why the F*** Pujara is being dropped so much,he really has the best technique & stats when comparing to Rohit in FC & Test matches & he can bat properly in all conditions around the world.Come on guys Pujara is the future wall of India.

As much as I agree with you, I also completely cringe with that last line you posted. Pujara is no wall. We might need one, we always will but it's not necessary we might have one. The problem with India fans is that we instantly like to draw comparisons to legends. Take a deep breath, just go through what Rahul Dravid has achieved. I'm sure you know as you look like a big fan. I have said this on this forum before, I will say it again- SRT was the best batsman of his generation in my opinion, but if I had to pick someone to bat for my life, I would pick RSD. In my opinion, all things being equal in conditions that are most difficult to bat, I've not seen a TEST batsman with RSD's pedigree. Pujara would be a happy man if he comes half as close. Don't get me wrong, he might match him, but it's a TALL order.

My dad, who I love watching cricket with, though he's a casual follower once asked me before DAY 5 of an overseas test-
"We can only save the test you said?"
I replied- "Yes!"
He retorts- "Dravid's batting?"
I replied- "Yeah, we're two down, he's batting."
He replies- "We have it in the bag. The challenge would be 2 days."

Well, if he gets that out of a casual fan, it just tells you why he was called 'the wall.'

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
As much as I agree with you, I also completely cringe with that last line you posted. Pujara is no wall. We might need one, we always will but it's not necessary we might have one. The problem with India fans is that we instantly like to draw comparisons to legends. Take a deep breath, just go through what Rahul Dravid has achieved. I'm sure you know as you look like a big fan. I have said this on this forum before, I will say it again- SRT was the best batsman of his generation in my opinion, but if I had to pick someone to bat for my life, I would pick RSD. In my opinion, all things being equal in conditions that are most difficult to bat, I've not seen a TEST batsman with RSD's pedigree. Pujara would be a happy man if he comes half as close. Don't get me wrong, he might match him, but it's a TALL order.

My dad, who I love watching cricket with, though he's a casual follower once asked me before DAY 5 of an overseas test-
"We can only save the test you said?"
I replied- "Yes!"
He retorts- "Dravid's batting?"
I replied- "Yeah, we're two down, he's batting."
He replies- "We have it in the bag. The challenge would be 2 days."

Well, if he gets that out of a casual fan, it just tells you why he was called 'the wall.'

It's impossible to fill the shoes of Dravid,i just meant to say Pujara has the potential to become at least half good as Dravid because Pujara resembles a lot about Dravid in terms of technique,which most of the Indians doesn't have to survive in the difficult conditions.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Ex-India cricketers desperate to push Rahane down the order. Aakash Chopra advocating Rahane to open but not 3. I don't understand what the fuss is if he bats 3.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Ex-India cricketers desperate to push Rahane down the order. Aakash Chopra advocating Rahane to open but not 3. I don't understand what the fuss is if he bats 3.

What reasoning have they given for Rahane being unsuitable for no.3?

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India

Not a natural no.3, although as far as I know he bats at 3 for Mumbai. New ball, front foot technique etc. etc. They feel he's a see ball, hit ball batsman. Frankly, I put it on mute after that because of the rubbish they were muttering.

PokerAce

Banned

Essentially that all good batsmen have a role and a defined role in the line up. That is why teams don't mess up settled line ups for no reason. Rahane is the one player India have who scored 100s on every tour. SA, NZ, Eng, Aus and now SL. So the second Rahane is getting used to his role, he is asked to suddenly jump up the order for no rhyme or reason. An even greater reason for Rahane to bat at 5 is that the guy at 6 is a Keeper who is effectively the start of the tail.

So all the more reason for no. 5 to be a solid batter, like Rahane who is consistently going to score runs with the tail. Just look at today's innings, Rahane out facing the new ball, for no rhyme or reason. Instead rahane should have been in the dressing room and the team would have had the belief that there is one more consistent performer to follow, instead of a guy who is effectively hiding at no. 5. He is hardly going to inspire any confidence.

50/2 and one of them being Rahane is a blow. 50/2 and instead of Rahane, had Rohit been the one that got out, as it should have been, its much less of a blow, and just imagine Rahane still having to come to bat.

A totally different scenario. THat is the difference Rahane at 5 makes.

I would like Pujara to score a 150 so that the coward Rohit can be shut out of the test side once and for all. Vijay, Dhawan, Rahul, Kohli and Rahane pick themselves ahead of Rohit, and if Pujara gets a big ton he would also get in ahead of Rohit in the pecking order. He just has to. Then Rohit can carry the drinks like he should be doing.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Essentially that all good batsmen have a role and a defined role in the line up. That is why teams don't mess up settled line ups for no reason. Rahane is the one player India have who scored 100s on every tour. SA, NZ, Eng, Aus and now SL. So the second Rahane is getting used to his role, he is asked to suddenly jump up the order for no rhyme or reason. An even greater reason for Rahane to bat at 5 is that the guy at 6 is a Keeper who is effectively the start of the tail.

So all the more reason for no. 5 to be a solid batter, like Rahane who is consistently going to score runs with the tail. Just look at today's innings, Rahane out facing the new ball, for no rhyme or reason. Instead rahane should have been in the dressing room and the team would have had the belief that there is one more consistent performer to follow, instead of a guy who is effectively hiding at no. 5. He is hardly going to inspire any confidence.

50/2 and one of them being Rahane is a blow. 50/2 and instead of Rahane, had Rohit been the one that got out, as it should have been, its much less of a blow, and just imagine Rahane still having to come to bat.

A totally different scenario. THat is the difference Rahane at 5 makes.

I would like Pujara to score a 150 so that the coward Rohit can be shut out of the test side once and for all. Vijay, Dhawan, Rahul, Kohli and Rahane pick themselves ahead of Rohit, and if Pujara gets a big ton he would also get in ahead of Rohit in the pecking order. He just has to. Then Rohit can carry the drinks like he should be doing.

Well, you have answered my question even more emphatically. While I respect your opinion, I am of the view that your two best batsmen bat @ 3&4. I don't think Virat is keen on 3 and that leaves us with Rahane as the only viable option. I think he has an under rated technique and an even more under rated attacking game. I said it before the second test itself that he has all the makings of a number 3 and I stand by it.

As far as Rohit goes? I understand you loathe him. I'm uncertain about him, though I feel Pujara should play before him but @ 5/6 he can be very dangerous. I don't think Rohit is a coward. He's desperate to just play for India. I never for the life of me thought of him as an opener, but he is a fine choice for it in ODI's. I don't think he's a test number 3, but I won't rule him out @ 5/6 seeing how much the management is keen on him. I understand your frustration, but he's not a coward and he's done India some proud in coloured clothing.

grkrama

National Board President
The point is why should rohit be accommodated like that, especially even if he performs can he outperform rahanae at 5 i really doubt that against quality attacks and conditions, especially when you can have rahul or pujara at 3. Even the present out of sorts sehwag will outperform rohit if given that long run at 5.

Now i dont have a problem with rahanae at 3 as long as he succeeds, but if he doesn't and if his game gets affected, he gets dropped i would be angry like hell.

One of the things i have noticed after rahanae's shift to 3 [a very very small sample, this is just a hypothetical one] is he is getting out early something that mostly didnt happen often when he was at 5[except eng tour last couple of matches], he would get those 20-40 starts regularly and converting was problem for him there, though he was overcoming it slowly.

ABD and clarke batted at 5 despite being the best in their teams. Ideally i would like rahanae at 4 but kohli has made that spot his own.

They feel he's a see ball, hit ball batsman. Frankly, I put it on mute after that because of the rubbish they were muttering.

lol sometimes the stuff manjerekar makes up, he probably has the best technique in our batting line up after vijay. As long as he doesnt get dropped if he cant make it at 3 im fine.

------------------

Another thing that's irking me is when was the last time one of our batsman got a double, i believe it was that MSD rampage 224, these guys really need to learn to make it count, when they get in. One of the things i noticed is these guys cherish centuries too much, and often loose momentum after it. Really need to think of 200 as the century and bat.

Last edited:

PokerAce

Banned
That Rohit shot over mid on. WTF was that about. Don't call it being positive just because it went 1 inch over the mid on fielder. Thats just a senseless shot regardless. This is what I was talking aobut in the previous test. This just is not the time to be hitting sixes. This is the time to get hard runs, get your head down consolidate. But no Rohit has to hit the ball in the air. This is what he did in the one test he had in England. What a senseless shot to play in this situation. That he just about got away with it, is no reason to call it aggression. Its poor batting.

See I am not questioning Rohit's place in the ODI side, I will even concede that as an opener he is a key part of the limited overs side. But for tests, the guy just doesn't have it in him. To accomodate him in the side, a batting order which was finally beginning to take shape, with perhaps one piece (#3 batter) missing, has been totally scrambled again. Just get Pujara in at three, and its a good side, with Kohli at 4 and Rahane at 5. Even if they feel the need to push Rahane at 3, even then Pujara must then come in at 5.

When Pujara was struggling no one said okay lets try him at 5. He was simply dropped. Why must it not be the same for Rohit. He got the chance at 3, couldn't perform, then just gt the fk out of the side. Whats all this nonsense about bat him lower down the order and fk up the stability.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
That Rohit shot over mid on. WTF was that about. Don't call it being positive just because it went 1 inch over the mid on fielder. Thats just a senseless shot regardless.

I was laughing my a$$ off when he did that. Usually would tear my hair out in disgust but with Rohit, its the only thing you can expect.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Pujara does have a restrictive grip. But the way Arnold and Manjerekar are making a big effing deal about it. The dude is close to playing out 100 deliveries where everyone has failed so far. And they are all praise for Ro-ro about how he has "grafted" just like Pujara (LOL ? )

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Once again Sharmaji out in the last over of a session :)

PokerAce

Banned
Well Done Pujara, standing tall alone amidst chaos, like we all expect him to. Thx Rohit for that cameo but frankly I think he can be got rid off now. A guy who has 2 fifties in his last 20 odd innings and who averages 37, or a guy who sat out like nearly a year, went to play in county cricket to correct his flaws, and who returned to get a fifty as a lone effort on his comeback. How can anyone support Rohit here is beyond me.

Also to be fair, India have to dvelop Rahul as the keeper. Tht will give this line up such an edge. I know he is not the finished article, but I remember Sanga saying that even he was terrible keeper in the first year. He had kept in school and was no where near the finished article. Develop Rahul.

Then (in whatever order) Vijay Dhawan Rahul Pujara Kohli and Rahane, now that is a good line up. Play 5 bowlers after this, easy. For overseas, open with Vijay and Rahul, bat Dhawan lower down the order. In the sub-continent play Dhawan and Vijay as openers, Rahul to bat lower down the order. Now that would be meaningful horses for courses change in the batting order, to get the most out of every batsmen. Not the kind that has been done to hide Rohit in the mid-order.

Users who are viewing this thread