Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please state who you think will in the thread

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
Welcome to my first ever story thread, based on the 2007 Formula One World Championship. For this I will be using F1 Challenge 99-02 and a 2007 mod (strangely!).

logo_f1.gif

Michael Schumacher

For the first time since 1990, Formula One's most successful ever driver, Michael Schumacher, will not be on the grid when this years championship kicks off in Melbourne, Australia. Schumacher retired with a mammoth 91 career wins (the most in the history of the sport) from 250 starts. He averaged 5.5 points a race.

At the end of 2006, Schumacher had 30 different F1 records to his name, including most world titles (7), most points scored in a season (148 out of a possible 180) and most pole positions (68).

Whether you loved him or hated him, no one can deny he was one of the finest drivers to ever grace the race track and Formula One will never quite be the same without him.

The New Season: the Year of the Young Guns.

Now, onto the 2007 World Championship

With 14 of this years drivers being under 30, the 2007 grid is set to be one of the youngest in the history of the sport. Indeed, the average of the drivers in F1's top 3 teams will be just 26. F1 rookies Heikki Kovalainen (Renault) and Stephen Bailey (McLaren), will be looking to repay the faith shown in them by their team bosses.

The Calender

There are a couple of changes to the calender from recent seasons. Imola (San Marino GP) has lost its place on the calender, and the Herman Tilke re-designed Fuji has replaced Suzuka as the host of the Japanese GP, a move that has proved unpopular with fans. Germany has also lost one of its two grand prix, with Hockenheim suffering from financial problems. However, the Nurburgring and Hockenheim will alternate hosting the German GP for the next few seasons. Spa-Francorchamps makes a return to the calender after missing last year due to the facilities not being up to the FIA's standards.

Australia, Melbourne
Malaysia, Sepang
Bahrain, Sakhir
Spain, Barcelona
Monaco, Monte Carlo
Canada, Montreal
USA, Indianapolis
France, Magny-Cours
Great Britain, Silverstone
Germany, Nurburgring
Hungary, Budapest
Turkey, Istanbul
Italy, Monza
Belgium, Spa-Francorchamps
Japan, Fuji
China, Shanghai
Brazil, Interlagos

Rule Changes

2007 sees the introduction of several new rules, the following are just a selection:

• Although the FIA had planned to introduce a regulation single tyre manufacturer from 2008, there will be a sole supplier (Bridgestone) from 2007 to 2010, since Bridgestone's only rival, Michelin, ended their participation in Formula 1 after the 2006 season.

• The two Friday practice sessions will expand from 60 minutes to 90 minutes. Any team will be allowed to use two cars, which may be driven by either the two race drivers or a nominated third driver.

• Engine development will be frozen from the 2006 Japanese Grand Prix, with these engines being used for the whole of 2007 and 2008. This is described as engine "homologation" by the FIA. It was previously set to be introduced in 2008.

The Teams and Drivers:

There has been plenty of chopping and changing since the end of 2006, so here are the runners and riders for this years championship.

41713_2.jpg

1 Fernando Alonso (ESP)
2 Stephen Bailey (GBR)

McLaren will be looking for a change in fortunes after going winless through the 2006 season and not having won either championship since 1999. The addition of double world champion Fernando Alonso from Renault, should offer them all the motivation they need to make a car capable of mounting a championship challenge in 2007.

The signing of youngster Stephen Bailey is seen as something of a risk, but there is no doubting the rookie's speed. He has a number of karting and national single seater titles (including the British F3 championship) to his name already and should be a force to be reckoned with as the season progresses.

41715_2.jpg

3 Giancarlo Fisichella (ITA)
4 Heikki Kovalainen (FIN)

World Champions Renault, will be looking to the experienced Giancarlo Fisichella to step up, following the departure of Fernano Alonso to McLaren. If Fisichella fails to shine against his new team mate, he may well find himself struggling to hold onto his seat for next season.

Heikki Kovalainen is another rapid Finn, following in the footsteps of former Finnish world champions, Keke Rosberg and most recently, Mika Hakkinen into Formula One. Kovalainen could well be a dark horse this season, having proved he has a serious turn of speed. He won the the World Series by Nissan in 2004 and the Race of Champions. In the process of winning the RoC, he defeated Michael Schumacher in the semi-final and then went one better and beat the World Rally Champion, Sebastien Loeb, in a rally car in the final. Kovalainen had never sat in a rally car before this event in his life.

The biggest issue for Renault this season could be adjusting to Bridgestone tyres, having used Michelin rubber in recent seasons.

41709_2.jpg

5 Felipe Massa (BRA)
6 Kimi Raikkonen (FIN)

Despite a number of personnel changes, Ferrari go into this years championship as favourites. Despite narrowly missing out to Alonso and Renault to both championships in 2006, the momentum they carry into this year could prove to be the decisive factor.

At the start of last season, it looked like Felipe Massa was the same, erratic driver that came into F1 in 2002. But towards the end of 2006, Massa visibly grew in stature and claimed a deserved win at the Turkish GP, holding off Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso. He also won an emotional home race in Brazil to finish the season on a real high.

Kimi Raikkonen is the man charged with filling the huge boots of Michael Schumacher. There is no doubt about the Finn's speed, some believe he is the fastest man on the grid, but to be successful from the off, he will need to cut out silly mistakes and will require a far more reliable car than he had during his time at McLaren.

I will continue tomorrow, as I'm bloody knackered now!!

I'm not sure how regularly I'll be able to update this, what with work on Wednesday's, Thursday's and Friday's and then Cricket on Saturday's and Sunday's, but I shall endeavour to do as much as I can. :)

Last edited:

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Nice to see a story from you Stevie, good luck :) I dont really like racing of any kind but i'll keep a keen eye on it!

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Good to see Stevie that u have started a story :) i have no interested in racing though but i will follow this one .all the best with your new role :thumbs

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Gud to see you in stories, Stevie :) Gud luck... I will be backing up my fav fav team Ferrari! Go Ferrari!!!!! :happy

Wildwil

International Cricketer
Good luck stevie. Where did you get the mod?

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
I will be backing up my fav fav team Ferrari! Go Ferrari!!!!! :happy

You disgrace! :p

Now to continue, however, I shall not be going into as much depth for the other teams.
Wildwil said:
Good luck stevie. Where did you get the mod?

http://www.f1gamers.com/f1/bb/?a=view&t=31144&d=0 Post 7 :)

You will need one BASIC download, one TrackPack download, and if you wish to understand it, download the PATCH EN. I'd advise downloading the car setups too. Be warned though, the whole lot will be around 500 MB.

The best 2007 mod out there in my opinion.

41710_2.jpg

7 Jenson Button (GBR)
8 Rubens Barrichello (BRA)

There has been more talk of Honda's radical livery than the car over the winter, with the team shifting its attention to protecting the environment with the "earth" car.

Both Button and Barrichello will be hoping to build on the form Honda showed at the end of last season, which saw Button win the Hungarian GP and score more points than anybody else in the last few races of the season.

41708_2.jpg

9 Nick Heidfeld (GER)
10 Robert Kubica (POL)

Perhaps the team to take the fight to the top 3 teams in Formula One. Two highly talented drivers, and in Nick Heidfeld, a man who knows how to bring the car home for good points. Kubica will be hoping to show the pace he demonstrated in the second half of last season, after he replaced Jacques Villeneuve.

41720_2.jpg

11 Jarno Trulli (ITA)
12 Ralf Schumacher (GER)

Despite having one of the biggest budgets in F1, Toyota has yet to leave a lasting impression on the sport. They have never been able to attract F1's top drivers either. In Jarno Trulli and Ralf Schumacher, they have two of F1's most solid performers. Both on their day can win GP's, but they will require a very good car to challenge for consistant points.

41714_2.jpg

14 David Coulthard (GBR)
15 Mark Webber (AUS)

Red Bull Racing is a team on the up. Having secured the signature of Adrian Newey (formerly of McLaren), they have high hopes for the season ahead. They also have one of the most experienced driver line-ups on the grid, in the shape of David Coulthard and Mark Webber. Should be a force as the season progresses.

41721_2.jpg

16 Nico Rosberg (GER)
17 Alexander Wurz (AUT)

Williams will be looking to steady the ship after one of its worst seasons in F1 last season (8th in the constructors championship). In Nico Rosberg they have an extremely talented driver (2005 GP2 champion), but if he is to be a consistant challenger for points, then he will need to cut out some of the silly errors he made last year. Alexander Wurz makes a return to grand prix racing, having not had a regular drive since 2000. A solid performer and should threaten the points positions for Williams.

41719_2.jpg

18 Scott Speed (USA)
19 Vitantonio Liuzzi (ITA)

A team with a lot of questions to answer. Toro Rosso is the Red Bull "B" team and will be using the same Adrian Newey designed chassis as the main team. This has caused controversy throughout the winter with legal action threatened by the likes of Spyker.

Not only are there questions about the team, but there are some serious questions about its two drivers. 'Tonio Liuzzi is highly thought of in the Red Bull ranks, but has yet to show why on the track. Scott Speed, the only American in the field also needs to justify the millions Red Bull has spent on him in its young driver scheme.

41848_2.jpg

20 Adrian Sutil (GER)
21 Christijan Albers (NED)

The team that was originally Jordan and then the passionless Midland will be looking to Mike Gascoyne to give them a car capable of making strides from the back of the grid. In Sutil and Albers, they have two young drivers. Albers certainly has pace (2nd in 2003 DTM), but has so far no been able to show just how fast he is in F1. Little is known about Sutil, although he won the Japanese F3 championship last year.

41849_2.jpg

22 Takuma Sato (JPN)
23 Anthony Davidson (GBR)

Armed with last years Honda chassis, which finished the season so strongly, Super Aguri should be able to look forward to a far more competitive season this year. Takuma Sato will be looking to build on a astounding 10th place finish at the season ending Brazilian GP last year, in what was largely a 2002 Arrows. Anthony Davidson finally gets the opportunity to race a season of F1. With only 2 GP's under his belt (way back in 2002), he will be looking to convert his testing pace of the last few years to race pace.

Winter Testing

Ferrari and McLaren quickly established themselves as the frontrunners, with the teams trading fastest times throughout the winter.

42446_1.jpg

Evenly matched

BMW Sauber consistently found themselves close to the top 2 teams and even beat them on occasions.

Defending champions Renault endured a tough time, with adjusting to Bridgestone tyres the biggest issue.

Honda have also suffered a forgettable winter, with the car suffering from massive stability issues.

41223_1.jpg

Glum faces all round at Honda

Super Aguri surprised several people when Anthony Davidson set the fastest time during a test at Jerez, proving the theory that they could well cause a few upsets this season.

It looks like being an extremely close midfield scrap this season, with Toyota, Williams, Red Bull all being extremely close. Add to that the struggles of Honda and Renault and we could well see some fantastic racing through the season.

Spyker look to the be the team that will be sat at the back of the field this season, with every other team except Toro Rosso, being well clear in terms of performance.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India

Wait and see.. Ferrari going to dominate ;) :p

Lets see how Stephen Bailey *cough* *cough* ( excuse me :p ).... Ya, lets see how this youngster called Stephen going to perform and compete with massive Ferrari! :cool: :D Gud luck again!

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
Wait and see.. Ferrari going to dominate ;) :p

Keep dreaming Suren! :p

Anyway, I have a small 15 second clip of me having a blast down the pit straight and first two corners of Barcelona.

I would upload to youtube but I can't be arsed with waiting years for it to upload.

Also, if anyone knows of a better video recording program, please tell me about it, because I'm fed up with Fraps making things go so slowly and only letting me record short clips....

Anyway! Here it is.

Attachments

• Barca testing1.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 35

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
If i am right that was Stephen's driving in McLaren! hmmm.. In straight road - good drive; In first corner - little bit skidded; 2nd corner - well managed; 3rd corner - Clip got over :p Still a long way to go Stephen to compete with pros like Massa & Kimi :)

But that short drive signals a promising future though.... Come to Ferrari soon and you will have a bright season:cool:

Btw,have you adjusted any wing settings? ( both front and rear )

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
Btw,have you adjusted any wing settings? ( both front and rear )

I fancy I need to do a bit more than adjusting the wings! Got chronic oversteer and although I quite like a bit of oversteer, there is waaaaaaay too much at the moment

Will grab some screens of a multi-car test later, might see if I can get away with turning the gfx level up a tiny bit.

But that short drive signals a promising future though.... Come to Ferrari soon and you will have a bright season:cool:

And don't think I missed this comment! Never gonna happen. :p

handsome

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
All the best Stevie. Backing up for Renault and Jenson Button ....Loads of talent and a very good caras well.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
I fancy I need to do a bit more than adjusting the wings! Got chronic oversteer and although I quite like a bit of oversteer, there is waaaaaaay too much at the moment

Will grab some screens of a multi-car test later, might see if I can get away with turning the gfx level up a tiny bit.

Oh okie.. I have tried adjusting(reducing) the wings settings and i found that i was getting more speed. I was able to go around 190 speed which remained as fast man on track in qualifying sessions.. But it was Ferrari though and not a EA game too :p

Never gonna happen. :p

Hmmmm... Lets see! :cool:

Wildwil

International Cricketer

Now to continue, however, I shall not be going into as much depth for the other teams.

http://www.f1gamers.com/f1/bb/?a=view&t=31144&d=0 Post 7 :)

You will need one BASIC download, one TrackPack download, and if you wish to understand it, download the PATCH EN. I'd advise downloading the car setups too. Be warned though, the whole lot will be around 500 MB.

The best 2007 mod out there in my opinion.

Thanks a lot. Good luck with the story. I will follow it and cheer on Ferrari (sorry but there my number 1 team):p

Users who are viewing this thread