Close this thread please mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Nigel Pearson is at Southampton, not Sheffield United. ;)

covlad-99

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Lol. Yeah just realised. Good start for him too. A 2-0 home defeat to Plymouth. lol.

Ray Ranson​
I have been speaking to my Chairman Ray ranson, and he says he will give me what funds I needed to strengthen and mould my promotion winning squad. My budget was in the region of 6 million, after Coventry's recent takeover. I couldn't wait to get into my office and starting getting on the phone. We held the Press Conference earlier, me and Ray (Ranson), and it was a real eye-opener for every Championship team. The way Ranson was talking showed that he meant business. Sounds like a Club statement will be released on the club site shortly.

Last edited:

covlad-99

International Cricketer

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY MAKE GIDDINGS BID

Sheffield Wednesday have had a ?100K bid for Coventry's young defender Stuart Giddings rejected. Sheffield Wednesday boss, Brian Laws, said he thought Giddings had a fantastic amount of talent. New Coventry boss Craig Tough said he is reluctant to let the youngster go, but if the right price was offered, he may well oblige. Giddings, 21, a former England U19 International said he wouldn't mind going out on loan to grab some much needed first team experience in a lower division.

Last edited:

covlad-99

International Cricketer
COVENTRY KEEN ON WINGER MARTIN

Coventry Chairman Ray Ranson has revealed that Coventry have put a loan bid in for Manchester United's young winger Lee Martin. United manager, Alex Ferguson spoke of the talent he has at his club, and says that they need valuable first team experience, and that a move to the Championship would give them just that.

GRETNA IN FOR GIDDINGS​

Scottish Premier League side Gretna, have had an offer accepted for young Coventry defender Stuart Giddings. The fee is said to be worth up to ?210K. Tough said to Sky Sports News that Giddings was not in his long term plans, and it was time for him to move on.

COVENTRY EYE EARNSHAW SWOOP

Coventry City have bidded ?4mil plus Leon McKenzie for Derby striker Robert Earnshaw. Derby boss Paul Jewell is reluctant to let Earnshaw go, but may sell at the right price. The Welsh international has become unsettled at Derby following Jewell's comments last week, that he was looking for another striker.

GIDDINGS SEALS GRETNA SWITCH

Coventry defender Stuart Giddings has completed his move to Gretna in the SPL. Gretna fought off competition from Sheffield Wednesday, Crew and a few other clubs in a race to sign the youngster.

MARTIN COMPLETES LOAN MOVE

Manchester United winger Lee Martin has completed his loan move to Championship side Coventry City. The deal worth ?250K will see Martin at the Ricoh for the whole season, and he said he is delighted at the challenge to get Coventry into the Premiership.

FRIENDLY FIXTURE LIST REVEALED

Farsley A 14/7/07
Nuneaton A 17/7/07
Waterford A 22/7/07
Gillingham A 25/7/07
Linfield A 30/7/07

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Haha, buggered your old story up I see. :p Nah I know it wasn't your fault.

Good start to the story, hope all goes well.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I honestly think with the latest updates you will be relegated, or at least in a relegation fight.

covlad-99

International Cricketer
14/7/07

Today, we were away at Farsley Celtic. It was my first game in charge, and I was against a Blue Square Premier side, so if I didn't win it would have been an unbelievably bad start to my Coventry career coming back as a manager.

Injuries now. 3 players were out, Wayne Andrews had strained knee ligaments, and Kevin Thornton and Donovan Simmonds had strained ankle ligaments. All lengthy injuries, so they weren't going to be at my disposal for a while yet disappointingly. Everyone else was ready for the start of a fresh campaign.

Now to the team news. Right, my first lineup, and in order to get the player's fitness level up for the new season, I went for a full strength starting 11. 12 subs, and I could use them all if necessary. Simple 4-4-2, Andy Marshall in goal, Gary Borrowdale, at right back although he is really a left back I felt he would do a similar job up and down the right flank, cutting inside and whipping some tasty balls into the box. De Zeeuw the captain and Elliott Ward at centre back, and young Daniel Fox at left back. Lee Martin made his debut for Coventry after his loan move from Manchester United, and I knew he would be a threat down the left hand side, Ellery Cairo on the right, Jay Tabb and vice captain Michael Doyle in the centre. Michael Mifsud, a fantastic striker, very short at just 5ft5 inches, but quicker than a cheetah partnered Irish U21 international Leon Best up front. Also on the bench today, is youth star Lee Hildreth making his debut if he comes on.
Here was the starting XI:

--------------------------Marshall
Borrowdale--de Zeeuw(c)---Ward------Fox
Cairo--------Tabb----------Doyle------L.Martin
--------------------Mifsud-------Best

Subs (12): Konstantopoulos(K), McKenzie, Turner, McNamee, Dann, Hall, Hawkins, Davis, Osbourne, S.Hughes, Gray, Hildreth.

I arrived at Throstle Nest, Farsley's ground, and it was surprisingly well kept, the pitch looked nice and flat with a few brown areas but that was to be expected on a non league pitch. And I was surpised to see so many Farsley fans there too, at least 2000 coming to watch, and was going to be a good day out for any supporter. I gave the lads my first ever team talk telling them what I wanted to see and how we would go about achieving this, and then we went out.

For the first few minutes, it was Farsley on the front foot, a shot from midfielder Hussey going just over, comfortably left by Andy Marshall in our goal. On 2 mins, we thought we had scored, Cairo putting Mifsud through who finished excellently only for a flag to be raised on the far side for offside. Well played and nicely worked. On 20 mins, it was a Coventry onslaught, Mifsud passing to Best who turned and ran at teh Farsley defence, he tried a cheeky lob, but it was well tipped over by farsley keeper, Paul Lewis. On 26 mind, we thought we'd scored again, this time from a fantastic Lee Martin corner, headed in by Cairo but it was disallowed for a push. The referee supports Farsley Celtic I think... But on 29 mins, we did score. Tabb winning a free kick 20 yards out bang in the centre of the goal, Dan Fox stepped up and place the ball right in the top corner, great goal from the youngster. 1-0. On 35 mins, farsley left Mifsud unmarked, Lee Martin found him, but Mifsud didn't strike the shot cleanly and it was gathered easily by Lewis. On 44 mins, we scored another peach of a goal, Tab b giving to Best, Best tried to look for a pass, couldn't find one so he shot from 25 yards out and it nestled right in the top corner. Great goal. 2-0. At half time, I was happy btu i expected to be winning so I didn't go over the top, I just said to the lads that they were doing this proffesionally. At half time I made a few straight subs. Dann on for Ward, Hildreth made his debut by coming on for Michael Doyle, Isaac Osbourne on for Jay Tabb, and Turner on for Borrowdale. Out we went for the second half.
A good start to the second half, but no opportunities were created until the 55th minute, Andy Marshall clearing, the ball dropped over the high Farsley defence, Mifsud chased, and somehow got to the ball ahaead of the keeper, took the ball round Lewis, and put into an empty net. Mifsud is so quick, great goal. 3-0. 2 minutes later and it was a landslide, Fox, who was having an outstanding game, put Mifsud through with a quality through ball in which Mifsud took superbly. 2 for him, 4-0. Then I brought Liam Davis on for Lee Martin, Martin had a very solid debut. Well played. On 73 min, the two youngsters, Hildreth and Davis combined to set up a decent chance, Davis whipped a shot in, and it came off the upright. Good effort. Then I brought Gray on for Cairo and Leon Mckenzie on for Leon Best. 4 minutes of added time were called, they went quickly and the ref blew for full time. Well played lads.

Farsley 0-4 Coventry
Fox, Best, Mifsud (2)

Marshall-7
Borrowdale-7
de Zeeuw(c)-8
Ward-7
Fox-8
Cairo-7
Tabb-7
Doyle-6
L.Martin-7
Mifsud-9
Best-8
--------------
Konstantopoulos-unused sub
McKenzie-6
Turner-7
McNamee-unused sub
Dann-7
Hall-unused sub
Hawkins-unused sub
Davis-6
Osbourne-7
S.Hughes-unused sub
Gray-6
Hildreth-7

Man of the Match was Michael Mifsud

thanks for the comments guys, sorry the update was so late, my computer had a virus which probably had something to do with my other story messing up. As for you skater, I hope to prove you wrong ;) Even though I played a poor side, I am chuffed to win the first game in charge, and I hope my story doesn't turn out like Coventry in real life :p A few more comings and goings are to be expected, and I hope to at least get in the play offs this season.

covlad-99

International Cricketer
COVENTRY SCRAP EARNSHAW BID

Coventry manager Craig Tough has withdrawn interest in Derby County striker Robert Earnshaw. The reason behind the withdrawal was that Derby asked 'too much' for the Welshman. Derby rejected the £4mil+ Leon McKenzie bid, and asked for £6.5mil, Tough branded the figure as 'ridiculous' and swiftly moved on.

COVENTRY HUNT FOR AFRICAN BARGAINS

Coventry City assistant manager Steve Keane has said on Sky Sports News that there are many under rated players in Africa well worth a punt. Keane believes that Coventry could benefit hugely from buying cheap African players with great ability. Keane also said that Coventry were set to put a bid in for Bochum's Cameroon International Striker Joel Epalle.

17/7/07

Today, we were away at Nuneaton Borough. It was my first derby game in charge, Nuneaton being the close football club to Coventry. It was hardly a big derby game like Coventry v Villa or Coventry v Leicester, but it will do for now. I wanted to win, and I was sure I would.

Injuries now. 3 players were still out, Wayne Andrews had strained knee ligaments, and Kevin Thornton and Donovan Simmonds had strained ankle ligaments. Same as last game, and the lineup stays the same bar a couple of changes.

Now to the team news. I was unchanged from the side that faced Farsley Celtic in my first game in charge, bar 2 changes. Hildreth came in for Vice Captain Michael Doyle to make his first start for the club, and young Scott Dann partners captain Arjan De Zeeuw in defence in place of Elliott Ward.

--------------------------Marshall
Borrowdale--de Zeeuw(c)---Dann------Fox
Cairo--------Tabb----------Hildreth------L.Martin
--------------------Mifsud-------Best

Subs (12): Konstantopoulos(K), McKenzie, Turner, McNamee, Ward, Hall, Hawkins, Davis, Osbourne, S.Hughes, Gray, Doyle.

I arrived at Nuneaton's ground, and the place was a mess! But they were a non league side, so who cares! It was going to be a tricky game as Nuneaton had nothing to lose, and a memorable game for them a few years ago in the FA Cup, where they got a 0-0 draw with Premier League side Middlesbrough, to make history. So it was never going to be a pushover.

A great start, it took just 3 minutes to get the first goal of the game, and I was pleased to see young midfielder Lee Hildreth assist the goal, he put Mifsud through who got another goal. 1-0. A minute later it was nearly 2-0, Borrowdale firing a long ball over the Nuneaton defence, Leon Best latched on to it, and put his shot just over. Nicely played. On 5 mins, Jay Tabb had a chance, he shot from just inside the box, but pulled his shot over. On 6mins, it was 2-0, Lee Martin skipping 2 challenges on the left, put a cross in, it was headed down to Tabb by Leon Best, and Tabb tucked it away. 2-0. On 11 mins, the onslaught continued, 3-0, Hildreth played the ball to Martin's feet, Martin pput Mifsud through, Mifsud squared the ball to the edge of the six yard box, and Cairo finished easily. 3-0. We had to wait until 36 minutes for the next chance, and this time it was a great cahnce for Nuneaton, MacKenzie one on one with Marshall, but Marshall stood tall and pulled off a great save. On 42 mins, Nuneaton thought they had got one back, macKenzie's shot saved by marshall but the rebound fell to Richard Ingram who fired into an empty net, but the flag went up. Offside. unlucky. On 45 mins, Nuneaton did get one back, a shocking pass from Scott Dann went straight to nuneaton striker Ingram, who finished. Poor. 3-1. At half time, I was pleased of the start we made, creating 4 clear cut opportunities in as many minutes, scoring 3, but I was very disappointed at the goal we conceded, but thast football. At half time I made a few subs. Doyle on for Tabb, Davis on for Cairo, Hawkins on for Dann, Turner on for Borrowdale, and McKenzie on for Best. And we were off.
Another great start to the half, Mifsud picking the ball up inside his own half, the Nuneaton players backed off and soon he was 30 yards out, he unleashed a peach of a shot which flew straight into the top corner, what a goal and another for Mifsud. 4-1. On 59 mins, Martin passed to Mckenzie, who put Mifsud through on goal, mifsud shot on the edge of the area, but his shot was scuffed and went over. On 73 mins, I made some changes, Hall on for Fox, Gray on for Martin and Osbourne on for Hildreth. The next chance came on 85 mins, for Nuneaton, Clifford hitting the upright from 6 yards, and we hooked the ball clear. On 92 mins, Nuneaton scored a superb breakaway goal, we had a throwin in teh Nuneaton half, they got it and hoofed it up to Clapham who rounded Marshall and scored. 4-2. But it was only going to be a consellation goal. Adn soonafter, the whistle went for full time, and it was another win. Less convincing but still a win.

Nuneaton 2-4 Coventry
Mifsud (2), Cairo, Tabb

Marshall-6
Borrowdale-7
de Zeeuw(c)-7
Dann-5
Fox-7
Cairo-8
Tabb-8
Hildreth-8
L.Martin-7
Mifsud-8
Best-7
--------------
Konstantopoulos-unused sub
McKenzie-7
Turner-6
McNamee-unused sub
Ward-unused sub
Hall-6
Hawkins-6
Davis-6
Osbourne-7
S.Hughes-unused sub
Gray-6
Doyle-7

Man of the Match was Michael Mifsud

COVENTRY MAKE BID FOR EPALLE

Coventry City have made a £1mil bid for Bochum striker Joel Epalle. Epalle, 29, said he would probably stay, but with the right deal he would definately move. Tough said to SSN that he would be dilighted to have someone of Epalle's quality in the side.

covlad-99

International Cricketer
The real opposition starts in the league I'm afraid, I don't know how to arrange a decent friendly, anyone else know?

covlad-99

International Cricketer
EPALLE OFFER ACCEPTED

Coventry City's ?1mil bid for Bochum player Joel Epalle has been accepted. Craig Tough said he was over the moon at the deal, and believes ?1mil for a striker of Epalle's quality was 'bargain of the century' and things Epalle will play a huge part in Coventry's season if he agrees personal terms.

covlad-99

International Cricketer
Olympique Lyonnais: Tough back in Management!

22/7/07

Today, we were away at Waterford United. It was my third game into my reign, and I was very confident of maintaining my 100% record, although we hadn't played anything near the proper stuff yet, but any win boosts confidence and playing lower league teams improves professionalism.

Injuries now.The same 3 players were still out, Wayne Andrews had strained knee ligaments, and Kevin Thornton and Donovan Simmonds had strained ankle ligaments.

Now to the team news. Again, it was a very similar lineup to the last game against Nuneaton, bar one or two changes. Defender Scott Dann had a bit of a shocker against Nuneaton, so I am going to put him in the XI so he has the chance to redeem himself, and I was sure he would. The only changes were McNamee starts in place of Borrowdale at right back and Leon McKenzie partners Mifsud up front instead of Leon Best, and Marshall is rested and Konstantopoulos starts in goal.

----------------------Konstantopoulos
McNamee--de Zeeuw(c)---Dann------Fox
Cairo--------Tabb----------Hildreth------L.Martin
--------------------Mifsud-------Mckenzie

Subs (12): Marshall(K), Best, Turner, McNamee, Ward, Hall, Hawkins, Davis, Osbourne, S.Hughes, Gray, Doyle.

I arrived at Waterford's ground, and I was pleasantly surprised, it was a nice place with a clubhouse on the southern end where the players would go and have a drink at the end of a game and talk about the match they just played, everyone was very friendly and we got into the dressing rooms, had a chat and went out to play this game of football.

The first chance came on 8 mins, McKenzie recieving the ball 30 yards out, he made 10 yards and shot but his shot went a yard over. A minute later it was 1-0, Lee Martin put an amazing through ball through to Mifsud, who finished a great chance. 1-0, Mifsud yet again. On 14 mins, Lee Martin had a great chance, Mifsud picking up a loose ball and knocking it square, it bounce up and Martin miskicked from 6 yards. 30 seconds later, Waterford gifted us the ball back, McKenzie was one on one and unselfishly squared to Mifsud who stroked into an empty net, Mifsud's 6th goal in2 and a bit games. Outstanding. On 18mins, against the run of play Waterford got themselves back in the game, a route one goal, keeper Finn smashing up to Eddie O'Driscoll who turned and shot superbly and it went in. 2-1. On 32mins, Mifsud thought he'd got his hat trick, a Cairo cross started a mele in the box, Mifsud reacted first to finish, but the flag went up for offside. It wasn't offside, but the assistant said it was. Don't know what game he was watching. On 37 mins, it WAS 3-1, Mifsud winning a free kick right on the edge, Fox stepped up and slammed the ball right into the top corner, what a free kick. Fox's second goal for the club, the other one was a free kick too in exactly the same postition. On 41 mins, Mifsud nearly did get his hat trick, he shot from all of 25 yards, and his shot scraped the top of the bar, great strike. Half time, and I was pleased. Not ecstatic, just pleased. I made a few changes. Best on for McKenzie, Davis on for Hildreth, Osbourne on for Cairo, Hawkins on for Dann, Gray on for Martin and Stephen Hughes on for Jay Tabb.
On 45 mins, Stephen hughes put a great little chip ball over the defence, Gray pounced on it and shot, but it went inhes over. Nice play. Sexy football! On 55 mins, Mifsud nearly got his hat trick again, Best breaking at lightning pace in a terrific counter attack, slid Mifsud through who went fr a cheeky lob, it hit the bar and dropped into the keeper's arms. Was Mifsud going to get his hat trick? Yes he was. On 61 mins, Best played an unbelievable 20 yard through ball along the floor, mifsud was quick enough to latch on the end and finish superbly. 4-1. On 72 mins, Best turned fantastically to get past Trevor McDonagh, shot and it was inches over. Great play by Best. On 93 mins, Waterford got their 2nd, McGee getting a lucky break through a deflected shot and slotted home. Lucky, but they all count. The final whistle blew, and that was another 4-2 win, and what a performance from Mifsud, he got a hat trick and he could have scored about 6. He has now been man of the match for every single one of my games in charge.

Waterford 2-4 Coventry
Mifsud (3), Fox

Konstantopoulos-6
McNamee-7
de Zeeuw(c)-7
Dann-7
Fox-8
Cairo-7
Tabb-7
Hildreth-7
L.Martin-7
Mifsud-9
McKenzie-7
--------------
Marshall-unused sub
Best-7
Turner-unused sub
Borrowdale-unused sub
Ward-unused sub
Hall-unused sub
Hawkins-7
Davis-7
Osbourne-7
S.Hughes-7
Gray-7
Doyle-unused sub

Man of the Match was Michael Mifsud (again)

BOCHUM CANCEL EPALLE TRANSFER

Bochum have suddenly changed their minds on the future of winger Joel Epalle. Epalle, Cameroon international was set to join Coventry this week, but Bochum have said the want more for the striker. Coventry have responded by making a new ?1.5m + midfielder Michael Hughes bid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread