Cricket Anecdotes

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Richie's a goldmine, I remember one that wasn't too great but still off the cuff, the fielders call "Jaqcie... Ohhh" in reply, Richie's "Well, not quite Jackie O, but Jaques Kallis..."

rahulk666

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I remember Tony Greig saying the following when S. tendulkar was going berserk in the sharjah final in 1998 and hit Tom Moody for straight six.

Tony Greig: "Aww... whatta shot It hits the sightscreen. This man (sachin) is half his (Moody) size and he has smashed him (Moody) for a huge six"

Another one I remember was a match between England and ???. Thorpe was having a really bad day fielding in the slips. he had dropped one catch and had let one catch go between the slips. He was offered with one more chance and he spilled that one too. The ball hit his palms and fell down. Thorpe got so frustrated that he kicked the ball so hard in anguish that I think the ball went for four!

Last edited:

fardin

PC Awards 2005 Most Improved Member
i remember once pakistan vs south african shoiab malik hit a huge six and jones said this kid has a eye like a dead fish' lol

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Brad Haddin recently said of Adam Voges "That is the first time we have had a look at him, I am not sure if we want to have a second look," after his record 100 from 62 balls.

squiz

International Coach
That knock was great, it was the fastest ING Cup hundred in the history of the Cup. He hit sixes and fours left right and centre. Haddin's 120 (110) that game was pretty extraordinary as well.

brad352

Executive member
squiz said:
That knock was great, it was the fastest ING Cup hundred in the history of the Cup. He hit sixes and fours left right and centre. Haddin's 120 (110) that game was pretty extraordinary as well.
Only cause the ground was an absolute joke though

sachinisgod

International Cricketer
where was it played?

btw, here's one on the famour spin quartret of India in 70's - when one of them used to take a wicket, he didnt run forward to the slips or the w/k to celebrate(as happens normally and nowadays) instead the bowler invariably used to run to the mid-on/off where the one of the other three was fielding(and bowling from the other end). It was a gesture that conveyed how the wicket was planned by both the bowlers simultaneously and it was just a trivial thing that who got it in the end.

to accomodate three of those four in the side...India played with a single pace man(modern day slow medium bowler) and in some matches the great opening batsman Sunil Gavaskar had to open the bowling from the other end.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The match was played at North Sydney. The ground is very small and the pitch was very flat. Amusingly, from the 25 sixes, I think only 2 or 3 catches were taken in the stands.

squiz

International Coach
Yeah, the ground was pretty small, but quite a few balls were hit out of the ground, and would of been sixes on any other ground. Voges hit the ING Cup sign as well, and earned himself $50,000

sachinisgod

International Cricketer
Perhaps this was before the Umpires had the last say on the field. Once an umpire made the grave mistake of giving W.G. Grace out(which he was), the doctor(yep he was one) walked upto the umpire and told him - "the crowd came here to watch me bat and not you giving me out."

I have read and heard this so many times that now it really seems to be true...:)

Will p

International Cricketer
got 2!

The fist a classic battle between viv richards and a bowler(not sure who)

Viv richerds kept missing the ball of the bowler, so the bowler came up and ssaid 'its red, its round and its got a seem running round it, now u no what it looks like, HIT IT!!'
Next ball viv richards cover drove for a flat six, he went to the bowler and said, ' u seem to know what it looks like, now go and find it!' LOL

And the second is between shane warne and this fat indian guy who i cant remeber the name of THIS IS DURING WARNES DRUG BAN( if u could remind me that would be great people!!)
They were having a go at each other in the press
SHane warne ' are yes {insert name here, ft indian guy}, whats he done swalloed a sheep or goat or something(refering to wieght)
Indian guy (once told bout this comment) ' it is better to swallow a sheep or goat than swallow what he's been swallowing!'

gold639

International Coach
lol Will.:rtfl That first one was funny.

And I remember,when Astle made that fastest double century ever,He hit one ball for six,and the people could not find it.They got in another ball and he that for six too and they could not find it again!They had to get yet another ball.LOL

And then remember when Ambrose confronted S.Waugh and R.Richardson had to stop them?I liked the way Waugh stood his ground and was not intimidated by ambrose.

sachinisgod

International Cricketer
hey Will_p it wasn't that "fat Indian guy", it was Arjuna Ranatunga former SL captain...yeah their animosity was funny

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I remember in a session of Extraaa Innings in the ICC world cup (or the last-to-last champions trophy) Mandira and Srikkanth were having a conversation. Now it had been raining the previous night so the pitch had been covered. As the pitch was being discussed:

KS: Yeah, actually, the pitch will be very helpful to the bowlers because it has been cowered for the time now. This cowering will help the moisture on the pitch so the ball will move around.

Mandira: Oh...I see. Kris, what is this cowering? Is it some special cricket term?

Aahhahahah that one drives me up the wall everytime, it is so funny. I love making fun of the Southie accents. I can feign a pretty good one, too. But Srikkanth's hilarious. Every other thing he says is funny.

Users who are viewing this thread