All-Time Test XIs

Dragon Fire

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Wilfred Rhodes - 4th most FC runs, most FC wickets.
Stan McCabe - "I wish I could bat like that" - Don Bradman
Victor Trumper - Should have had Virender Sehwag instead.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Vivian Richards
Gary Sobers
Allan Knott (wk)/Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Shane Warne
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall
Andy Roberts/Glenn McGrath/Dennis Lillee/Fast bowler

P

pcfan123

Im amazed at the amount of XI's without Imran Khan, the greatest bowling all-rounder in the history of the game.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Im amazed at the amount of XI's without Imran Khan, the greatest bowling all-rounder in the history of the game.

You can't really be "amazed" by anyone's exclusion except Sobers and Bradman in an All Time XI.

That said, in my B side (it's not really a B side, just an alternate XI that is just as good as the first one, if not better) I would take out Sachin, move Richards and Gilchrist up and replace McGrath with Sydney Barnes.

Sir Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Sir Donald Bradman
Sir Vivian Richards
Sir Garfield Sobers
+ Adam Gilchrist
Imran Khan
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Dennis Lillee
Sydney Barnes

Cricketman

ICC Chairman

I had Imran marked in my Xi but honestly who would you drop? The middle order is pretty much set in stone and to replace one of those guys with a bowling allrounder (who didn't do too much with the bat when he wasn't captain) would seriously hamper the balance. The bowlers, in my opinion, outclass Imran with the ball as well. however it wouldn't be bad if one of the quicks were replaced with him, but I was against playing my keeper at number 8.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors

Oohh yeah - good player, but he falls in a hole for me. I have Botham as a better #7 and I like Hadlee as a better #8. And if your keeper is at #7/8, then he's not going to break into the side over Sobers at #6 either.

But Imran was a better bowler than Botham and a better bat than Hadlee - so he'd be my first choice #7.5:p

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
This was my original XI that I posted in this thread.

Jack Hobbs
Matthew Hayden
Don Bradman
Wally Hammond
Clyde Walcott +
Garfield Sobers
Imran Khan *
Wasim Akram 1
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Glen McGrath 2

There are a few changes that I would make to that team.

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Don Bradman
Wally Hammond
Garfield Sobers
Imran Khan*
Adam Gilchrist+
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Curtly Ambrose 1
Glen McGrath 2

Toxic Muffin

School Cricketer
I suppose I should probably grace my first post here.

1. Hobbs
2. Gavaskar
3. Bradman
4. Tendulkar
5. Lara
6. Sobers
7. Viv Richards
8. Gilchrist
9. Warne
10. Marshall
11. Lohmann

I think I've quite clearly got one too many batsmen in there, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Gilchrist coming in at number 8 is ludicrous though.

Lots of different styles in the bowling attack. There are only four of them though, although I'd give Tendulkar a couple of overs or so.

Num

Club Cricketer
1. J.Hobbs
2. H.Sutcliffe
3. D.Bradman
4. S.Tendulkar
5. V.Richards
6. G.Sobers
7. A.Gilchrist (wk)
8. S.Warne
9. W.Akram
10. M.Marshall
11. G.McGrath

Mike23

Associate Cricketer
1.Hobbs
2.Hutton
3.Don Bradman
4.Brian Lara
5.Sachin Tendulkar
6.Kumar Sangakkara / Gilly (wk)
7.Ian Botham / Imran Khan
8.Wasim Akram
9.Malcolm Marshall
10.Shane Warne
11.Muttiah Muralitharan

12th Man - Glenn Mcgrath / Anil Kumble

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
My all time Test XI -

Graeme Pollock
Barry Richards
Donald Bradman (c)
Sachin Tendulkar
Vivian Richards
Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Sydney Barnes

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Right, I've thought about this a bit, and I've got my XI.

First, the middle order. 3 names, in my opinion, pick themselves. Don Bradman, Sachin Tendulkar, and George Headley. The greatest batsman who ever lived, the second greatest batsman who ever lived, and the man dubbed the Black Bradman. Many claimed Bradman was the White Headley. Incredible test record, averaging just over 60, breaking all sorts of records in his time, and being the bedrock of a fragile West Indian lineup. He scored runs with a brilliance never seen before him, and rarely matched after. 10 centuries in 40 innings, a highest of 270* against England, he was the best of his time and one of the best of all time.

Then the allrounder. Gary Sobers. Simple enough pick.

Then we move onto our pace attack. There are so many options in this regard, but the first man picks himself. Malcolm Marshall.
The quickies to support him were tough picks...Imran Khan, Richard Hadlee, Alan Donald, Jeff Thompson, Harold Larwood, Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Glenn McGrath...but I've decided on two.
Dennis Lillee - Quick, accurate, hostile. Swung the ball both ways. And when he was back from his career-threatening back injury, he cut off his pace and out-did batsmen with cunning variations. The 'complete bowler', Lillee is the perfect foil for Marshall.
And then the third seamer. While many choose to go with Imran Khan/Richard Hadlee and play two spinners, or pick the medium-pace genius Barnes, I've gone with Wasim Akram. The greatest left arm pacer ever. A swing and reverse swing genius, the awkward quick action, fantastic pace, one of the best fast bowlers ever. Plus, he's left added and adds in some variation, while his batting is handy. Anyone who has scored 257* in a test match is useful to have at number 8 :p

Then the spinner. I went for Shane Warne over Murali, simply because I'm a fanboy. Oh, and Warne's captaining, simply because there isn't anyone that much better for the job in the lineup.

This leaves the difficult picks. The opener and the keeper.

For the Openers, it was a two way fight between Gavaskar and Sutcliffe to partner Jack Hobbs. I debated over this for ages, but decided on Herbert Sutcliffe. He was a player who had the tendency to throw his wicket away once he reached a century unless his team really needed him. He could dominate a bowling attack, was a sharp fielder, and the fact that he had such a great pairing with Jack Hobbs gives him a boost. It would be a sham to break up this pair.

That leaves the wicketkeeper. While many would vouch for Adam Gilchrist, I would much rather go for a pure wicketkeeper. With this batting lineup, you won't need the extra batting, and a great keeper will make this lethal bowling attack all the more potent.

But who would the wicketkeeper be? Ian Healy, Alan Knott, Don Tallon, Rod Marsh, Jack Russel, Syed Kirmani, Wasim Bari, Jeff Dujon, Mark Boucher, Jackie Hendricks...

I've settled on Alan Knott. A great keeper behind the stumps, and fantastic stonewaller in front. Useful when you have players like Headley, Sobers, Warne and Wasim batting around you.

And that finishes my All-Time XI:

Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
George Headley
Gary Sobers
Alan Knott (+)
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne (*)
Malcolm Marshall
Dennis Lillee

And just for fun, if I had to go for a squad of 16, my 5 substitutes would be:
Gavaskar (backup opener)
Gilchrist (backup keeper)
Murali (backup bowler)
Imran Khan (backup fast bowler/allrounder)
Viv Richards (backup middle order batsman)

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Have to say Zorax, I am loving that team. Only change I'd consider would be Barry Richards for Herbert Sutcliffe, but that's because I'm biased towards Richards :) Nice work.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Sir Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Sir Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Vivian Richards
Sir Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Sir Richard Hadlee
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne (*)
Malcolm Marshall

Took me a while to decide on the number 5 spot, but in the end I'd rather have a guy who averaged over 50 in 100+ Tests over someone who averaged 60 in 20. Not the best reason but that's still the spot I'm debating on. I might also need a better bowling option than Garry Sobers, but I don't have time to think right now, and in that case Richards would be out and Sobers would play as a batsman purely. So this is my XI off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread