Fantasy Cricket Team
India
AUS..
RCB...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The Boys
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Are any spinners coming up the ranks for the long format in England?
The England management prefer to bowling all-rounders instead of proper spin bowlers ala Will Jacks.

As far as I know, Liam Patterson-White, Amar Virdi and Dan Moriarty are good prospects.
Dom Bess could make a comeback in the future.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
The England management prefer to bowling all-rounders instead of proper spin bowlers ala Will Jacks.

As far as I know, Liam Patterson-White, Amar Virdi and Dan Moriarty are good prospects.
Dom Bess could make a comeback in the future.
Jacks gets picked ahead of Moriarty and Virdi at Surrey because they prefer an all rounder too. When he was out they picked Cameron Steel (or Scott Steel).

Patterson-White has taken two wickets so far this season and not passed 15 with the bat. He did play for England A but it was the seamers and other spinner (Jack Carson) taking the wickets in Galle.

I think Mo is probably the best call. If only for his experience and letting him Bazball at 8 could make up for his bowling. Australia do have a number of left handers too.

Bevab

Staff Member
Jacks gets picked ahead of Moriarty and Virdi at Surrey because they prefer an all rounder too. When he was out they picked Cameron Steel (or Scott Steel).

Patterson-White has taken two wickets so far this season and not passed 15 with the bat. He did play for England A but it was the seamers and other spinner (Jack Carson) taking the wickets in Galle.

I think Mo is probably the best call. If only for his experience and letting him Bazball at 8 could make up for his bowling. Australia do have a number of left handers too.

Think I saw Carson as the third highest wicket taking English spinner in County cricket at the moment. Surely he’s worth a shot or even Dawson if you want an experienced pro who can also bat a bit? Murphy did have a good start to his domestic career but he was still thrown into the deep end in arguably the toughest country to tour (the pitches did help him, I’ll admit that). This move of going back to an old spinner who doesn’t even bowl his full quota in T20s these days with no recent FC experience is neither Baz nor Bazball to me. Was this something pushed from higher above? (Especially with even Sunak throwing his opinion around?)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Think I saw Carson as the third highest wicket taking English spinner in County cricket at the moment. Surely he’s worth a shot or even Dawson if you want an experienced pro who can also bat a bit? Murphy did have a good start to his domestic career but he was still thrown into the deep end in arguably the toughest country to tour (the pitches did help him, I’ll admit that). This move of going back to an old spinner who doesn’t even bowl his full quota in T20s these days with no recent FC experience is neither Baz nor Bazball to me. Was this something pushed from higher above? (Especially with even Sunak throwing his opinion around?)
I think they just want experience, you know what you're going to get with Mo. They wanted him to go to Pakistan so it doesn't surprise me, especially if it's just five test matches. If he starts bowling moon balls like he did at Edgbaston, last Ashes, people might start getting a bit worried.

Bevab

Staff Member
good read and valid points:

Head and a wary Warner who is more patient but takes his chances when provided are the big threats to the England team I can see. You’d always back the Aussie bowling attack should they be given a batting surface with Cummins and Boland in there but Head is the key difference maker for Australia as he can bat very aggressively and still be consistent. And he’s shown the capability to replicate the same on more bowling friendly pitches which will be the most worrying part. If Stokes can’t bowl then Leach’s absence will be huge, Australia can afford to mix Lyon’s overs in and get Green involved as the fourth pacer but England may be limited to Mo and three pacers unless they’re willing to drop one of their coveted middle order batters that they are so precious about.

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
good read and valid points:

He could make all the valid points in the world, and my overriding feeling from any article would still be that he's a prick :laughter:

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
We getting the schedule at the opening ceremony boys
Nah, at the end of each match Jay Shah will draw two names to play the next day and a Geoff Allardice will draw a venue. It's then a race against time for teams to make it for the start of play.
And then it'll be scenes when ICC releases the full schedule of when and where the matches will be played and who will play. After the tournament.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Mo Ali is a puzzling decision. Even if his dismal Ashes record is kept aside, he hasn't really set the world on fire. Add to this the fact that he was made to come out of retirement makes me concur with Butcher's statement, which was a little harsh but made sense.

If it's spin they wanted, could have gone with Murphy. I'm about 90% expecting him to not have much of an impact and likey to be dropped by the 3rd Test.

Users who are viewing this thread