Ashes Cricket General Discussion

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Talking about edges.......

Couldn't be arsed going through youtube: vid in the rar! Sorry for the widescreen thing......England needed to see of about 6 overs at the close: Stoneman has to consider himself unlucky but it's a great wicket and a great catch: quality of the vid is not that good to keep the MB's down.....

sorry but mate... he's outside edged that onto his inside pad. physics!

isaac newton would be spinning in his grave, if BA hadn't modelled him flying for 6 over square leg off a forward defensive.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Have you done a survey?

I don't see how it's a problem that needs to be fixed. It seems a subjective issue as to why some do and some don't get edges. Unfortunately that level of nuanced thinking seems to be beyond many people; if they don't get edges then they aren't in the game at all. I do have confidence that the beta testers think of it in terms of cause and effect rather than just saying "we want more edges."

I'm merely in the sceptical camp of @blockerdave and @cricket_online (sorry if I am misrepresenting your viewpoint), in that I would want an increase of edges to be a result of something more complex than just turning up or turning down the ''edge frequency" number.

i think there's no question batting is easier though?

i still get edges. but less than prior games and there's some other intangible element where it's just not as much of a challenge.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
The bad: the runout was a glitch, the one that two batsman just stand at one end until you throw down the stumps.
Smith's wicket was 'orrible: caught of his pad with the bat a mile away and he didn't review.
I do hope that there is a way to get rid of the caught off pad dismissal...and a returns of BARS. It is odd...I don't recall this being a problem in DBC but I get a lot of caught off pad dismissals in Ashes...and I've only seen one review in 94 hours of playing Ashes, and that was for a waist-high catch at gully that wasn't given out on-field but, not surprisingly, overturned on review.

Last edited:

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Have you done a survey?

I don't see how it's a problem that needs to be fixed. It seems a subjective issue as to why some do and some don't get edges. Unfortunately that level of nuanced thinking seems to be beyond many people; if they don't get edges then they aren't in the game at all. I do have confidence that the beta testers think of it in terms of cause and effect rather than just saying "we want more edges."

I'm merely in the sceptical camp of @blockerdave and @cricket_online (sorry if I am misrepresenting your viewpoint), in that I would want an increase of edges to be a result of something more complex than just turning up or turning down the ''edge frequency" number.

I have tried many many ways to get edges and when I say edges I don't mean no edges just like Blocker said a lot less. I stopped playing the game as I found the game a joke to bat, far to easy or on the hardest difficulties missing the ball a lot or getting bowled/LBW a lot. In two tests my score card read was Bowled, LBW or runout and the odd catch in the outfield.:facepalm

PS I am hoping after the next patch is released you don't have to change the game to get that sweet spot unless your crazy and just like a hard game.[DOUBLEPOST=1519679837][/DOUBLEPOST]

i still get edges. but less than prior games and there's some other intangible element where it's just not as much of a challenge.

Spot on Blocker and well said.:thumbs

azkhan

Associate Captain
I must say you love to say the same quote over and over again, we get it you edge it but a lot don't and have had this problem from day one.
There should be no tweak to make edges happen, just has to be part of the game and goes up as you move up the difficulty levels. PS I edged on easy sometimes on DBC17.

Anyway thanks to the Beta team for there hard work.:D

I'm with @wasteyouryouth on his comment. I don't seem to have a major issue with edging. My main issue especially in test matches is the AI edging...to be honest even getting a wicket was frustrating. It's alot better in the shorter formats but if things are being addressed cool:thumbs

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Wasteyouryouth and Blocker.

DBC14/17 greatest part for me was the batting as I don't like bowling to much as it takes time and I have kids/ work a lot so after ashes was released I was very annoyed the reason I stopped posting/playing the game until I started reading about the beta team progress and the normal fights between Dutch and a random member.:D[DOUBLEPOST=1519680385][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm with @wasteyouryouth on his comment. I don't seem to have a major issue with edging. My main issue especially in test matches is the AI edging...to be honest even getting a wicket was frustrating. It's alot better in the shorter formats but if things are being addressed cool:thumbs

I get that there is a lot on both sides but like I have said before, hoping soon we are all on the same page.:thumbs

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner

Short answer: yes batting is easier.

Long answer:
Even though I'm not necessarily getting more runs I do think batting is easier. The key issues I have are:

• AI Bowling isn't challenging, there no sense that they are trying to get me out, just that they are delivering balls and eventually I'll make a mistake.
  • There is a no discernible difference in pitches and consistent feeling that as soon as the ball pitches it dies. The only real challenge I find is from fast bowlers, because the timing window is narrower or spinners because 1) I've always been crap at playing spinners on the game and 2) they don't bowl balls consistent with their
  • It never really feels like sideways movement is an issue because the balls are just a miss-mash pattern of short, full, good.
  • AI fields don't feel as though they are linked to how bowlers ball (e.g. a heavy offside field with offside bowling) and it only feels like a field setting creates pressure by coincidence. But even if that pressure is created the field will change anyway. Field settings in general could be improved but equally it should be more nuanced then just having x number outside the circle.
I have other more general problems with how batting works but they are more to do with how many bloody buttons you have to press.

The fact that I have had some good batting experiences recently is probably a result of weeks of tweaking of skills (I've mostly been playing with the WC 92 teams I made), eventually having to change some gameplay modifiers and then moving up to hardest batting. I agree with @79cricket I don't think that is the sign of a good game if you have to spend weeks getting the sweet spot.

I've said this before (sorry @79cricket) but I think there are way too many variables in terms of difficulty options to produce a game that is consistent for everyone regardless of their skill or the difficulty they choose. I don't know what the best way of doing it would be (DBC 14 seemed to work well) maybe difficulty being determined by how many batting aids would make more sense. If you use the aerial marker (though I don't know why anyone would want to) and the pitch marker batting will be easier than just the pitch marker or using none at all. I would love to be able to play the game with no batting markers but on the cam I use (batting far) the angle at which the camera looks down markers it difficult to see or assess the ball. Being able to adjust cam position might help.

chaman82

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
about edges for human Batting.

Below observations are on all difficulty levels
It's the ball speed which effects the human Batting edges.
Higher the speed , smaller is the timing window. Have to play very early to time these fast balls , whereas the slower balls allow easy shot making.

Waiting to see what changes the patch bring to get this core batting concept correct.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
One thing we can all agree on is that we are posting the same comments over and over and over and over and over and ov..........(excluding beta testers giving updates of course)

Mitchell

Panel of Selectors
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
Wasteyouryouth and Blocker.

DBC14/17 greatest part for me was the batting as I don't like bowling to much as it takes time and I have kids/ work a lot so after ashes was released I was very annoyed the reason I stopped posting/playing the game until I started reading about the beta team progress and the normal fights between Dutch and a random member.:D[DOUBLEPOST=1519680385][/DOUBLEPOST]

I get that there is a lot on both sides but like I have said before, hoping soon we are all on the same page.:thumbs
Haha I had a good laugh good old Dutchy

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Wastyouryouth now that's a mouth full.:yes

I agree Bigant biggest problem with all 3 games is balance and reading Mr Dutch comments this has taken a turn for the better. We all should edge it and can move on to complain about something else.:eek:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Wastyouryouth now that's a mouth full.:yes

I agree Bigant biggest problem with all 3 games is balance and reading Mr Dutch comments this has taken a turn for the better. We all should edge it and can move on to complain about something else.:eek:
Yeah, I appreciate the effort and passion of the beta testers. I'm looking forward to the next patch as much as anyone and also looking forward to complaining about it.

Users who are viewing this thread