Australian Domestic Cricket

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
And Mitchel Johnson is having a swing day. Nobody stood a chance against that one. That was basically on a string.

Maxwell talking up Mitch Johnson here, says the other nights match was the "fastest spell he's ever faced"
Maxwell rates Johnson's rep claims

Given Mitch got back in Australia A and ODI squad pretty quickly after his injury return, I think it's only a matter of a few of these type of spells and he'll be 'next in line' for a spot in the Aussie team. Depends how the young kids go probably, both on the field and with their injuries.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Well yeah, fitness is everything. Johnson is the tortoise of fitness. He will stroll past anyone who is injury prone.

And while it was certainly 90 mph, I reckon batsmen overrate pace when the ball is darting about. I guess we don't have an adjective to say how a spell is "reaction testing", because that's really what they mean.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
He's going to need to do a lot more than one feisty spell in a 50 over match before he gets my confidence in him back again.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^But you aren't a selector :D Mickey Arthur for example is a big fan of Mitch, probably stems from the 2008/09 series vs SA when Arthur was the SA coach and Johnson was very threatening. He's one to watch anyway...

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It's just that at any time, he's selectable, particularly for limited overs, whereas a lot of players stand like a 30% chance of being injured by January.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
One more injury and we probably will see Johnson in the squad and I can imagine things won't be very pretty if he makes the 11.

Nice to see Khawaja making the runs again to get his name back up there.

mrtwisties

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Poor timing, given his good performance today, but is Mitch Marsh done for as a prospect at the top level? He's averaging 40+ with the ball across formats, and his batting certainly doesn't look good enough on its own to put his name in lights. If you add that to his behaviour issues, I'd have thought he's off the shortlist at least.

alexczarn

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Poor timing, given his good performance today, but is Mitch Marsh done for as a prospect at the top level? He's averaging 40+ with the ball across formats, and his batting certainly doesn't look good enough on its own to put his name in lights. If you add that to his behaviour issues, I'd have thought he's off the shortlist at least.

Real pity, seeings he came on the scene pretty well on the tour of SAF last year.

cricketmad09

International Coach
I have no idea how Mitch Marsh has ever taken a wicket in first class cricket. He bowls with swing, seam or accuracy. He has a lot to work on.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer

For this summer, I'd say he is at the back of the queue but his overall one day and T20 domestic stats are very good for a youngster. I'd think he'd only have to clean up his act and score a few runs to start to come into the minds of the selectors in six months or so.

The Warriors are bloody awful this season so far so while he isn't doing a lot he's probably at the top of their stats lists batting wise.

mrtwisties

Club Cricketer
I have no idea how Mitch Marsh has ever taken a wicket in first class cricket. He bowls with swing, seam or accuracy. He has a lot to work on.

I haven't seen him play first hand, but the reports last summer suggested he was bowling mid 130s and swinging the ball after his stint with Craig McDermott and the national side. I think he took a six-fer on his first match back? Back then, everyone was saying how he was going to be our best all-rounder since Keith Miller. But if you look at his performances since his injury, he certainly doesn't look like the world-beater he was being made out to be.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Henriques is looking really good so far in the Shield. In the runs early on including that 161 and now has 2/13 off 9 against Victoria. It's good to see both his batting and bowling improving in the longer form of the game, if he can keep it up he could become a pretty deadly all rounder for NSW. Two 50's and a ton already is great news for us. His inability to get those big scores is what has let him down before.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Well I hope he gets back to his run scoring ways as it is starting to look like he is going back to what he normal does with the bat.

cricketmad09

International Coach
Two of the most overrated players in Australia are Paine and Faulkner. Paine's keeping is average at best and his batting is piss poor. He has a horrid strike rate which puts so much pressure on everybody else in the team. Even in 4 day cricket his average is only a tick over 30 and has only ever scored 1 FC century. That's less than Mitchell Johnson and Nathan Hauritz and the same at Ben Cutting and Nathan Rimmington.

Faulkner is an average bowler at best. Consistently gets hit around the park and doesn't take that many wickets either. When he actually does take a wicket it's usually due to batsman error instead of bowler skill. His average of 35 and economy rate of 5.5 speak for themselves.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
I haven't seen him play first hand, but the reports last summer suggested he was bowling mid 130s and swinging the ball after his stint with Craig McDermott and the national side. I think he took a six-fer on his first match back? Back then, everyone was saying how he was going to be our best all-rounder since Keith Miller. But if you look at his performances since his injury, he certainly doesn't look like the world-beater he was being made out to be.

I've watched him bowl on the CA streams and he can get it nipping about. Prefers a fullish length which means that if it's a dead track, he can go around the park, but he's got an excellent wrist position and technically his action looks good. He's still very young, only turned 21 a month ago, I don't know why people are writing him off so easily.

Then again, he's just pulled his hammy so he might be like his bro and never be fit enough for any of us to know how good - or not - he is.

I think the problem for most of our young players is that people - and I would include coaches, skippers, press and fans here - start raving about some kid on the back of sweet fa. Then the reverse is that suddenly they are apparently crap when they don't turn into Adam Gilchrist or McGrath or Kallis at the age of 21/22.

It's a stupid, childish and embarrassing cycle which shows no sign of slowing down and it can't be good for the players.

Users who are viewing this thread