Best Partnership

Big_Boss

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
There should be a Best Partnership Award of the year ;)

Lets talk about one of the best partners for batting...

Who do you think are the greatest partners? (Feel free to write down your opinions)

rahulk666

International Cricketer
Tests

Desmond Haynes and G. Greenidge

Aamir Sohail and Saeed Anwar

Hayden and Langer

ODI's

Aamir Sohail and Saeed Anwar

S. Ganguly and S. Tendulkar

Hayden and Gilchrist

The best partnership I have ever seen in Test match is none other than the mammoth partnership between Laxman and Dravid at Kolkatta (Ind-Aus 2001).
Other that comes to mind is 6th wicket partnership between Langer and Gilchrist against Pakistan in Australia when Aus were 5/50 or 55 chasing 350+ runs on 5th day.

The best ODI partnership of mine is Ganguly and Dravid against SL in WC 99.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I would go for Saurav Ganguly and Sachin Tendulkar and also with VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
That award would be too difficult to adjudge. I think best opening partnership in the world can be possible award. :D

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
One of the gutsiest partnerships i've seen was the one between Courtney Browne and Ian Bradshaw in the Champions Trophy final. With Harmison firing it down at over 95 mph, Flintoff and those yorkers, all that in fading light, fantastic.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
And just the fact that they aren't exactly established batsmen. I think that was just a very surprising partnership. As I watched them chip their way towards the target I was not sure if it was actually taking place. :D

MWaugh

International Coach
i feel that the gilchrist and langer partnership against pakistan at hobart was the best ive seen. in terms of best partners hayden and langer were and are great together and taylor and slater before them were very good aswell. unfortunatly i wasnt around to see the windies opening batsman but they would probably up the top of the tree.

jwalits

Club Cricketer
The best patnership I have seen has to be the Laxman/Dravid at Kolkata in 2001, after following on and being 4 for not many........it was unbelievable......and also the same pair again in Adelaide after being 4/85 chasing down 550 odd, another 300 run patnership....
When it comes to the question of best patners.....thats a tough one......many names have been mentioned, but one pair is missing from that list and it is the only pair to have shared in 3 300+ run patnership.......the "former" south african opening combination of Greame Smith and Herschelle Gibbs...They "were" a great opening pair.

In ODI's the pair missing is the one that basically changed the game of One-Day during the 1996 World-cup......Kaluwitharana and Jayasuriya.......

Its very hard to choose from those great combinations....only really seen a little bit of Haynes/Greenidge, Simpson/Lawry and going back even further to Bradman days.....there have too many great opening pairs......but i think Haynes/Greenidge would be considered to be on the top of the chain.....probably just tipping out Langer/Hayden (the left-handed version of Greenidge and Haynes.....I think!!), but by the time Langer/Hayden finish they might take the mantle from those 2 if they continue like they are doing now.........

And for ODI's its quite difficult to go past Tendulkar/Ganguly, one of the most successfull opening combination ever and also M.Waugh/Gilchrist were great to wach as well....

Last edited:

Mahesh Babu

School Cricketer
With two good batsmen batting, it doesn't matter much who faces any particular ball, so they will score runs whenever they can and swap ends when they happen to score 1 or 3 runs. They tend to like swapping ends, rather than remaining at one end for an extended time, since it means the bowlers need to adjust to bowling to a different batsmen every few balls. This can be especially true if one batsman is right-handed and the other left-handed, since the bowling line to attack each batsman will be different.
The situation changes when enough wickets fall that a relatively poor batsman comes in to bat with the remaining good batsman. In this situation, it is tactically better if the better batsman faces most of the balls. To do this, the better batsman will tend not to take 1 or 3 runs even if they are available, restricting himself to 2s or boundaries, during the first half of the over. Depending how confident the batsman is that his less skilful partner can survive a few balls without getting out, the better batsmen will try to score 1 or 3 on the 4th, 5th, or 6th ball of the over, thus giving him the strike again at the start of the next over. A batsman who can score 1 or 3 off the last ball of the over consistently can face several overs in a row without the poorer batsmen facing any balls at all. This tactic is known as farming the strike

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Mahesh Babu said:
With two good batsmen batting, it doesn't matter much who faces any particular ball, so they will score runs whenever they can and swap ends when they happen to score 1 or 3 runs. They tend to like swapping ends, rather than remaining at one end for an extended time, since it means the bowlers need to adjust to bowling to a different batsmen every few balls. This can be especially true if one batsman is right-handed and the other left-handed, since the bowling line to attack each batsman will be different.
The situation changes when enough wickets fall that a relatively poor batsman comes in to bat with the remaining good batsman. In this situation, it is tactically better if the better batsman faces most of the balls. To do this, the better batsman will tend not to take 1 or 3 runs even if they are available, restricting himself to 2s or boundaries, during the first half of the over. Depending how confident the batsman is that his less skilful partner can survive a few balls without getting out, the better batsmen will try to score 1 or 3 on the 4th, 5th, or 6th ball of the over, thus giving him the strike again at the start of the next over. A batsman who can score 1 or 3 off the last ball of the over consistently can face several overs in a row without the poorer batsmen facing any balls at all. This tactic is known as farming the strike

What are you trying to prove in here? This thread is on who do you think forms the best partnership. But in this message of urs, nowhere do i find you mentioning your choice of the best partnership. instead you start explaining us the basics of partnership.

P.s; meanwhile, are you the same "Mahesh Babu" who was nominated as the Most funniest member of the 2005 Planetcricket awards?

And an answer to ur signature - try to be sensible, thats all!!

fardin

PC Awards 2005 Most Improved Member
Ha,If he was nominated for one I would have a better chance Next time around when the voting will take place,

I doubt he wasnt the one but you cant have the same name do you?

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
afridi118 said:
one of the ps i knew is saqlain vs akram when they add 313 runs and other one saqlain vs youhana
They were facing each other :eek:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread