Cricket 19 General Discussion

Just started a new custom Test match tour between Australia 90’s and India 90’s with new custom difficulty. Chose Veteran with Striker timing on 40, wicket and bowl quality default and run rate at 15. Started the match and from ball 1 the AI batsmen were playing very aggressive. Paused the game to double check the difficulty settings and found that my custom veteran settings were all at default. Selected another cutom difficulty (legendary) and back to the newly created veteran difficulty and it showed my real settings. Exited and loaded the match again and settings were fine. AI immediately played more defensive. Not sure if this happens in every match. Hope this helps

Just started a new custom Test match tour between Australia 90’s and India 90’s with new custom difficulty. Chose Veteran with Striker timing on 40, wicket and bowl quality default and run rate at 15. Started the match and from ball 1 the AI batsmen were playing very aggressive. Paused the game to double check the difficulty settings and found that my custom veteran settings were all at default. Selected another cutom difficulty (legendary) and back to the newly created veteran difficulty and it showed my real settings. Exited and loaded the match again and settings were fine. AI immediately played more defensive. Not sure if this happens in every match. Hope this helps

Anyone who can get settings for a ring catch, let me know ;) I refuse to believe there is something in the game which causes every single catch in the ring to fall slightly short, but only in a test match. I see it as my lockdown mission...

Do these "Pitch sliders" have no affect in saved games? Have we ascertained that? I'd like to be able to artificially increase pitch friction and reduce pitch bounce at the end of every day by 5 points.
From what I can tell the sliders can be changed once in a match. Further changes you need to exit the match and reload for them to work.

@wasteyouryouth @Dutch @blockerdave @DalePlaysCricket @Langeveldt

Does anyone wanna do a little experiment. I know some are already balls deep in a series... (Dave) but what about we all play 1 test. With exactly the same teams. But all have something changed that we are curious about and see what the results produce?

if it’s a shit idea then just say haha. But we haven’t ever really had a chance to do that!

Do these "Pitch sliders" have no affect in saved games? Have we ascertained that? I'd like to be able to artificially increase pitch friction and reduce pitch bounce at the end of every day by 5 points.

I think they don’t, although @wasteyouryouth says they do if you save and exit after changing and then reload: I haven’t checked this 100%

Anyone who can get settings for a ring catch, let me know ;) I refuse to believe there is something in the game which causes every single catch in the ring to fall slightly short, but only in a test match. I see it as my lockdown mission...

My skier the other day doesn’t count?

btw seeing the ones that drop short, or edges dropping short or into gaps as real “chances” is a mistake imo. I think there’s a slight script to it - this is the game giving you a “moment” that the bowler is really in the game. Eg if you had slips at 2nd and 4th the edge will go to 3rd, if you had 1st and 3rd it’d go second... it’s not an organic chance in my view.

I obviously don’t know that for sure, but it’s my suspicion.

Reactions: DAP

Does anyone wanna do a little experiment. I know some are already balls deep in a series... (Dave) but what about we all play 1 test. With exactly the same teams. But all have something changed that we are curious about and see what the results produce?

if it’s a shit idea then just say haha. But we haven’t ever really had a chance to do that!

If you guys are all happy with doing it with the Ashes 90/91 3rd test lineups I’m all in ;)

It's a good idea but I'm probably gonna be preoccupied with the lockdown tournament.

Reactions: DAP

Although I am currently balls deep in never you mind I am willing to give this a go: set the criteria and I will set it up.[DOUBLEPOST=1586271421][/DOUBLEPOST]I would suggest setting up a separate thread for testing feedback purposes .

Although I am currently balls deep in never you mind I am willing to give this a go: set the criteria and I will set it up.[DOUBLEPOST=1586271421][/DOUBLEPOST]I would suggest setting up a separate thread for testing feedback purposes .

Yeah I don’t have a clue what the parameters are I was leaving that one to @Langeveldt and his crusade to the perfect game of cricket haha! Could maybe help shed some light on things potentially

I agree with several here that fielding needs some love and attention. it is furstrating in almost all formats. I half expect, in my career mode, that the ICC will instigate a spot-fixing investigation into what appears to be deliberate action on behalf of the fielders to allow easily preventable singles, boundaries, two's and three's whilst failing to attempt outfield catches. That aside, the other thing that frustrates me is the ability that the AI has to leave the ball. It would be nice if batters of lower skill showed less aptitude in leaving the ball...either resulting in them getting bowled or tempted into a risky shot. There is little added value in bowling in the 'corridor of uncertainty' to a tail-ender if they can leave everything missing the stumps, even by the slimmest margin.

I agree with several here that fielding needs some love and attention. it is furstrating in almost all formats. I half expect, in my career mode, that the ICC will instigate a spot-fixing investigation into what appears to be deliberate action on behalf of the fielders to allow easily preventable singles, boundaries, two's and three's whilst failing to attempt outfield catches. That aside, the other thing that frustrates me is the ability that the AI has to leave the ball. It would be nice if batters of lower skill showed less aptitude in leaving the ball...either resulting in them getting bowled or tempted into a risky shot. There is little added value in bowling in the 'corridor of uncertainty' to a tail-ender if they can leave everything missing the stumps, even by the slimmest margin.
The bowlers I bowl against tend to have Conservative mentality. That seems to lead to them playing like Boycott and Dravid rather than just slow and shite. It's where a style and strike rate / attacking mindset skill could be added. Alongside a few more mental traits that could help distinguish players.

It would need to be AI vs AI though, as we can't all play the same.

I simply don't think the player sliders do anything much at all, and I probably have over 2,000 hours in Big Ant games to make that claim. Players behave differently due to their overall skill level, to a degree. It's sort of the cricketing equivalent of no man's sky, amazing possibility, but no depth. If the game feels SA don't have enough runs and Lungi Ngidi needs to smash a quick 58 at number ten, then that will happen. The fact he is useless or a conservative batsman matters not. He won't even look edgy doing it, he will smash the ball all over the place.

I'm having fun batting at the moment, but only because I am being RP about it and batting how the player would bat IRL.

Last edited:
Yeah I don’t have a clue what the parameters are I was leaving that one to @Langeveldt and his crusade to the perfect game of cricket haha! Could maybe help shed some light on things potentially

@WealeyH @blockerdave @Dutch

I'm interested to see if someone could AI vs AI a load of cricket (I can as well).

Everything standard, veteran skill level, 80 and 70 bowling speeds, medium pitches or softer.

Disprove some of my theories.

- That batting mentality doesn't matter at all (It's the skill that dictates whether batsman smash it around).

- That you will never ever get a ring or outfield catch in a test match (unless your name is @blockerdave)

- That in the last ten overs of an ODI, if the batting team are in a reasonable position the ball will be absolutely smashed around the park regardless of if Chris Martin or Sachin Tendulkar are batting.

I am happy to create a thread and post my matches, but I feel like it is proved already.

And for those of you saying, "Why don't you bowl?" Well, I do, and I find the same things happen. It would also take forever to do. There arent two separate AI batting engines at work here...

I work from home often, even in non-lockdown times, so being able to actually watch cricket in the background that is authentic and sim matches is something I've been trying to get right for many hours, especially as now there is no real cricket on. I also think that people who have been hand crafting and spending many hundreds of hours on these awesome teams, apart from the visuals, have been totally wasting their time getting the attributes right.

I am happy to track findings on a spreadsheet, and I also have cricket stat tracking software at my disposal.

The bowlers I bowl against tend to have Conservative mentality. That seems to lead to them playing like Boycott and Dravid rather than just slow and shite. It's where a style and strike rate / attacking mindset skill could be added. Alongside a few more mental traits that could help distinguish players.
I know this is very unlikely to happen but given BA's investment in motion capture equipment, it would be nice if they had different animations for lower order batters (and club players) so that their stroke-play wasn't as finessed as top-order internationals. It is not just about changing mentality but there should be more of a chance for poorer batters to make the wrong decision (come forward to a rising delivery, stay back to a good length ball, not get their bat out of the way of a bouncer, play all round a yorker, leave a ball on length or line that hits the stumps etc.). At the moment, although they may get out, it looks exactly the same as any top-order dismissal. As such, I don't find bowling to tail-enders feels much different to any other batter. Others may have a different experience. I've played mainly career mode with only one foray into an Ashes series.

Users who are viewing this thread