Cricket 2004 bugs list

Nauman

php monkey
Online Cricket Games Owned
Originally posted by crick4life
Are you sure it didnt with the default fields, Australia had 4 runouts even when I employed default fields.

Mani, default fields doesnt ensure less runouts. CPU ran out 3 times in my first game and in the next one the first wicket to fall was for a run out. See below.

How hard are others who have C2K4 finding bowling, if you ask me only Australia is capable of scoring more than 50 runs if you bowl line and length stuff.

I dont know i always set my own fields havent tried with default fields, thats why i have quit playing with computer i play two players now and that is more fun.

Bomber i also experience that problem but never really bothered me.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Now that I have mastered the cursor on hard, I find bowling quit straight forward - the normal powered shots, especially straight, on and off drives don't seem to have enough power to ever get past my mid on and off.

The cpu eventually mis times one into the air for an easy catch or in my case edges them behind. Just had SL 2-2, both dismissals were caught behind.

This didn't prevent the next batsman from swinging out for another easy catch

Things to do with strokes are

1) more power to certain strokes
2) less height on mis hit shots, to cut down the number of easy catches.
3) make it easy to time maybe ?

as for fielding, as long as mid on and off are up then I rarely get run outs with custom fields. The problems for me start when I only have either mid on or mid off up, with the other fielder being at long on or off etc. You seem to have to position the fielders in certain positions to prevent dumb run outs which is really frustrating.

Nauman

php monkey
Zim the thing is strokes will be powerfull if you time them correctly and hit them from the middle, and if you want to make it easy to time play with normal mode, hard mode is at its best in cricket2004.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Thing is scribb, I was thinking about the cpu batting - they never seem to break the inner circle at all when I bowl - hence their run rates are never more than 3 rpo ?

crick4life

International Cricketer
Originally posted by zimrahil
Now that I have mastered the cursor on hard, I find bowling quit straight forward - the normal powered shots, especially straight, on and off drives don't seem to have enough power to ever get past my mid on and off.

The cpu eventually mis times one into the air for an easy catch or in my case edges them behind. Just had SL 2-2, both dismissals were caught behind.

This didn't prevent the next batsman from swinging out for another easy catch

Things to do with strokes are

1) more power to certain strokes
2) less height on mis hit shots, to cut down the number of easy catches.
3) make it easy to time maybe ?

as for fielding, as long as mid on and off are up then I rarely get run outs with custom fields. The problems for me start when I only have either mid on or mid off up, with the other fielder being at long on or off etc. You seem to have to position the fielders in certain positions to prevent dumb run outs which is really frustrating.

I agree with all of those mentioned above, we badly need to make the CPU bat better. Not only the run rates but also the total CPU provides is a joke.

Just a quick question, how the hell can we choose a field. I could set a custom field with fairly deep long off and long on but once I save the game and come back, I cant choose any other field other than some crap field provided by CPU(guessing it might be the default custom field). This is for a spinner maybe for other bowlers too, I havent checked yet.

crick4life

International Cricketer
Auto play bug

Here we go guys another bug and this time the autoplay one, this is crazy stuff. I was playing a long Australian tour with the first game agains the Queensland XI and had them on 29/3 when I had to save the game and come back again. I had set a custom field for a spinner and when I got back to the game again, I was unable to choose any other field apart from the one provided by CPU. The field was well spread and I knew from there on there is no point toiling away bowling when not a single fielder was around the bat to the spinner. I tried to autoplay the game and every time it crashes to the desktop. This is as good as saying all that time spent playing for over 18 overs is simply a waste. Does anyone know of any other way of doing it.

mani_gamer

Club Cricketer
Re: Another screenshot of the same bug

Originally posted by crick4life
As mentioned above.

u can e mail HB studios with that pic
They wll make a solution im sure

crick4life

International Cricketer
Re: Re: Another screenshot of the same bug

Originally posted by mani_gamer
u can e mail HB studios with that pic
They wll make a solution im sure

I doubt if they do anything at all. Still it would be nice if we submit a feedback representing this forum, they will atleast know there are few hard core cricket gamers around who are concerned with the quality of games they produce.

jonah

International Coach
Reading all these bugs, I simply cannot understand how a company can release a 'game' and expect money for it. It's an insult to you guys who have paid for it. Surely when a game is released it should be playable...sure, you expect a couple of bugs here and there, but some of the bugs here render the game almost unplayable if you want a decent cricket match. They could almost be sued under the trade descriptions act!!
So far then,
1. Line-ups changing (AGAIN) mid match.
2. Crap cpu batting AI (again).
3. P*ss poor default fields again. Not only that but they've generously thrown in the bug where you can't adjust the fields to how you want them otherwise you get continuous run outs (that's a new one). Great addition there EA/HB.
4. Fielders walking on the wicket as the bowler runs in.
5. Shoddy graphics in comparison to other games released nowadays (although they do grow on you).
and plenty of others that have been mentioned and that will no doubt come up over the next few days. Why at least don't they make the graphics file formats the same as before and the cfg's easier to edit, so showing some kind of concession towards their punters. Still, I suppose we should be grateful that there's rain in this game. At least they've managed to get that right in 2 years.
EA took the p*ss out of football gamers for years with the FIFA series; only now that Konami have released PES 3 on pc have they started to improve that (and by all accounts there's still a long way to go there). Now they're doing the same with cricket gaming fans. The sooner there's competition for them, the better.
And where are the EA/HB representatives once the game has been released? Taking a 'well earned' holiday after all the thought and hard work they've put into this game? I'm just hoping they'll semi redeem themselves by releasing a patch to rectify some of these problems, and soon at that.
It a joke.

crick4life

International Cricketer
Jonah, you still havent seen some real comedy. Cricket game apart its like watching Jim Carey perform in Ace Ventura at times. Some of my mates who are more hooked to Soccer really had hilarious moments for free watching me play cricket 2004. There was one instance the ball was heading towards mid on and it looked like all the fielders were struck by a swamp of bees, they were running all over the place.

Even the dumbest of crickter among my mates asked me why they have 3 fielders in a row. I am refering to Short Sq Leg, Square Leg and deep sq leg. Another set up is like Backward point, slightly deepish backward point and a deep backward point on the line. Its a shame to all cricket followers that no thought or test has been put into this game.

Wanted to add another bug to this list. After having autoplayed a game midway through in a ODI check the bowling card, you can see one or more bowlers to have bowled as many overs(more than 10 overs) as they like (one had bowled 12.2 overs).

Last edited:

jonah

International Coach
So they haven't even fixed the old 'bowl as many overs as you like in an ODI' bug either then? Man alive...

scritty

School Cricketer
Yeah 2002 had less bugs and whatever. In fact if you just want a quick game, even unpatched 2002 gives you a a more stable experience.

Graphics aren't as good are they ? (!) Just my opinion, but I reckon they look pretty poor. Maybe worse than 2002, maybe similar quality but "different"

Lots of these errors though are because the game is far more ambitious. Also I reckon most of them are emminently "fixable".

Fielding is the main problem I reckon. "sliding" fielders, dives 20 feet behind the ball, only to lmiraculously come up with the ball in hand, far too many fielding errors (I chased 140 in a 20 over game against Hampshire this morning. 31 extras and 24 through fielding errors (through to boundary 6 times, might be farirer to say 18 here, as I would have taken the single in any case). That's still nearly 40% of runs "gifted"

Keeper is abysmal ! ball goes through him far too often.

Normal shots do not get runs straight. They should do! I spend the first 8-10 balls for each batsman playing across the line. If i play straight I never score a thing (until he's settled enough to slog)

One I haven't seen mentioned here is the similarity of shots. Andrew Hall got 4 Hampshire batsmen out in 5 balls in identical fashion . straight to long on. Jesus , after 1 or 2 had done it SURELY the batter would try something new.

CPU bowling AI is poor. Tremlett bowls 4 balls of every over wide of leg stump (a lot of bowlers do) Also some bowlers never get used in conditions that would suit them, whilst opening bowlers are bowled into the ground (sometimes past the legal maximum in a one day game)

Sounds like a lot of gripes, but it ain't These things can be fixed..I'm sure of it, I think some of them would be simply a couple of lines of code !Bad news is, some of them were there 2 years ago ion Cricket 2002..and are still there now.

Cheers

Clarker

Salman1k

School Cricketer
Guys, we need to get together and form a formal bug list, there are many post at cricket 2002.tk also. Once organized we can till the mods to send it to Andrew Wilson and HB Studios. We will have a much greater voice this way.

sam2002

PC Awards 2005 Best Breakthrough
i may not call this a bug,where are the specular highlights in cricket 2004,c2k2 does had this,the early screenshot did have this .

is graphics downgraded?
do renderware support specular highlights??

Users who are viewing this thread