Cricket 24 - General Discussion

Hester

County Cricketer
Bowl Quality is the same for the AI as the effects as delivery quality has for you as a player - they'll bowl more ideal/good timing deliveries with the slider up, which in turn reduces how much "spray" there is on the delivery from the input line/length.

So it's up to you in terms of what you think makes it more difficult - the AI successfully targeting the line and bowling what they intend to in terms of bowling to the field, or bowling worse lines so it's more unpredictable.
Thanks for the clarity, Matt! This had been driving me a bit nuts.

noys390

County Cricketer
So it's the exact opposite of what you said in your post according to what Matt has described.
Its good that Matt has clarified. I said what I gathered from this forum during C22 and from YT videos from our forum members.

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
Game is in a good place now.Batting first no longer means automatic defeat.I have been able to defend normal scores.Durham needing 173 to win in a county game were all out for 161.They do need to sort out the batter leaving crease getting run out but i guess that's an aussie thing not that i am bitter or anything lol.

Hester

County Cricketer
Game is in a good place now.Batting first no longer means automatic defeat.I have been able to defend normal scores.Durham needing 173 to win in a county game were all out for 161.They do need to sort out the batter leaving crease getting run out but i guess that's an aussie thing not that i am bitter or anything lol.
I think having to cancel the run adds something cool to the game. But I'm guessing it's a bug :grinning:

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Yeah I'm really happy with the latest build.

- I'd like to see the AI sweep spinners more in tests.
- My usual "I wish mentalities mattered more" yarn.

Now conditions need to matter more, not just visually, but have a tangible effect on these scripted AI wickets. How frequently they happen to spinners and pacers etc. Overhead and wicket conditions should play a role. And test, test, test, make sure nothing else breaks when changes are made. Because conditions are quite a major change.

It's a shame boss man Ross does not frequent this place, because he would see there is actually a lot of goodwill when there is a game that goes in a reasonable direction.

Mrp

Club Captain
1701099498488.png

Apparently this isn't pitching outside leg to a left hander?! Given out.

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
Btw just to confirm that as an associate nation you do get manage to test status as in my career save both Ireland and Zimbabwe got test status , I don’t know how to qualify for test status though perhaps Mattw can shed some light behind the process

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Here is my model for AI players development in career mode which I inspired off from NBA 2k lol so nevertheless here it goes.
There should be Players Initial skills which shall be randomize between overall skills of every regen players and it should be between 35 to 55 and then the Potential attribute which shall be randomize between 55 to 99 and the Regressed attribute which will be the lowest attribute a player will get regressed to close to his retirement age which shall be randomized between 25 to 50
So the regen player starts with initial skills and then there shall be development period which is in years again randomize between 3 years to 7 years and at the end of this period regen player will reach it's potential attribute then next come peak period in which the players remain in it's highest attributes which he attain at the end of development period again this period can be random between 3 to 7 years and then finally the regression period in which the players starts losing it's attributes to reach it's final lowest regressed attribute again this period can range from 3 to 7 years.

This way we will have truly unique regen players some will attain their peak slowly and remain in their peak so long and start losing the attribute so slowly till their retirement age potentially a career that will last 21 years or at the other hand we can players who reach their peak quickly but not remain in their peak and then start losing the attributes quickly so as to have potential of 9 years career and then we can have multiple combinations of players career in between because of randomize element.

Sounds great if get implemented by BAS.
That's generally how I'd like to see it. I'm coming from spending lots of time on Football Manager using the editor. Key things there were:

Current ability
Potential ability

So, a player might have a current skill level and then a potential skill level. For my skill spreadsheet I generated a total ability, which would be the current ability. If it was something in the game I'd easily add in a potential ability too because I base it on specific levels of ability, so you could estimate a range that player might reach.

For someone like Jimmy Anderson they might have, for example, 500 pts which I would then spread out across his bowling skills. If it were possible to give him a potential ability I would set it at the same amount, due to his age, therefore his skills would never increase.

Then you'd want a regression which brings the skill down. I'd imagine this could be generated for each player when you start a career mode. It could calculate a retirement date/age and a 'peak' age and the length of their peak. It could include separate dates for retiring from particular formats, as this could vary. So, after a player begins their decline they might retire from test cricket, then ODI cricket and then all cricket.

One thing I liked about Football Manager was the 'random' aspect of potential ability. In that, for younger players, you could give a 'range' rather than a fixed figure. So, a player might be as good as Jimmy Anderson or they might be as good as Chris Woakes. Equally, they might end up being an international or just a decent domestic bowler. It could differ for each career, so you would get quite varied 'worlds' for each player.

There were also reputation levels too which would determine factors like transfers, fees and probably international selection. Something like this would be quite good. I think you could implement something using skills and other factors. For example, you might get reputation boosts if you end up as a top scorer in a tournament or a small boost for each man of the match award or milestone. Ideally you'd have in a cricket game something that creates separate reputation elements for each format.

I don't know how it's done currently but it certainly seems like some aspects are there but not necessarily that deep. It may be more complex than it seems.

Last edited:

The Fridge's Leg-Spin

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Btw just to confirm that as an associate nation you do get manage to test status as in my career save both Ireland and Zimbabwe got test status , I don’t know how to qualify for test status though perhaps Mattw can shed some light behind the process
Ireland and Zimbabwe are full members. Zimbabwe have had test status for 31 years. They got it in 1992. Ireland has had test status since 2017.

isrararrafi

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
United States
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Catching mini game is missing after recent patches.
Yup. It shows up for me about 30% of the time, in semi auto fielding. It hasn't bothered me much so far because they haven't dropped a catch yet.

Also, strange issue. Created a full tour to India as south Africa. The stadiums are all Indian stadiums but when the match starts we are playing in great barrier reef stadium even if the scorecard says it's the patil or wankhede stadium. Had to delete your and restart for it to show the proper stadium in the first test. But then in second test it's back to great barrier reef stadium lol.

Mrp

Club Captain
I have noticed that the Zoom Slider for the dynamic camera doesn't do anything. Also, I changed the slider for "ball display marker time" to a 100..... and nothing changed either?!

This game is currently a proper easter egg hunt for bugs !

midhun333

County Cricketer
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Striker rotating while not taking DRS is really annoying. Hope BA are aware of it.

riteshagl

County Cricketer
I felt like I had the same issue too but few things you should consider apart from checking out whether your controller stick movement is good all around are that:
- Confidence in this game plays a role in how well you can play shots and the range it can travel around the ground.
- When you are in say Orange/Yellow confidence, I feel the range of shots is more restricted and hence you end up feeling like you always seem to play shots to cover and the point region.
- See how the shot range feels when you reach green or the highest confidence which is light green. IMO the range should get better in this.
- The fielders are more agile and responsive in this game compared to any other BA games, so that also plays a role where they can cut off the shots much more they used to do before this game..
- The stance/guard you take while batting to me seems to matter on the angle of shot you are able to achieve.

With that being said there are still instances where I felt they don't respond to the finer angles I try to create say while wanting to clear the short third man because they play mostly towards them or slightly to their left and they dive to cut it off. But overall I think it's a combination of many things which makes us feel like there's something off because we are used to a certain gameplay before this game and we want it to respond similar to the way it used to be.. But things have gotten better in many aspects in batting that I would recommend you to give it the time and try to settle in and see how it plays for you..
I agree with most of your points but i still believe that offside front foot shots need to be looked into as it has a tendency to mostly go to covers. Its almost like when in doubt go to covers. Front foot drive to point is super difficult. Same is the case with finding the gap between midwicket and midon. This particular gap has the most inaccessible area in all BA cricket games and continues to be the same.

Though i must say i am enjoying my batting experience. If somehow the ai becomes smarter in their field placements it would be fantastic. Also pitch wear and tear is negligible.

Users who are viewing this thread