Your Cricket Cricket Bat Preperation

Did you find this information helpful?

• Total voters

MWaugh

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Cricket Bats

This issue recently came up in another thread and i thought that it may be beneficial for new and existing members if I provided some information on firstly preparing your cricket bat then knocking it in.

The difference between bats:

There are 4 basic differences that separate different types of cricket bats used today. These are:

English Willow: The willow of choice for the serious cricketer. All top players around the world use English willow bats generally because of the responsiveness and power generated in strokeplay. English willow also has the tendancy to be lighter than Kashmir Willow bats.

Kashmir Willow: A traditional Indian willow which is commonly believed to be a ?cheaper alternative? to English willow and many find it less responsive in terms of the power produced when playing a shot.

Treated Bats: Bats that have been treated prior to sale are treated at the manufacturer (eg - Grey Nichols, Puma & Kookaburra) either through the use of specially designed machines or individuals. Quite often treated bats are designed for the middle of the market, allowing the new owner to use the bat a number of weeks earlier than if they had to treat the bat themselves.

Untreated Bats: Untreated bats are basically raw timber (either Kashmir or English willow) and require the owner to coat the bat with a protective oil (traditionally Linseed Oil). Untreated bats have traditionally been regarded as premium quality and often the higher grade of willow is sold untreated.

Treating the cricket bat

As previously mentioned, Linseed Oil is traditionally used for coating an untreated cricket bat.

1. Very lightly sand the bat to take off the slightest top layer of the bat. This will prepare it for the first initial coat. Use a very very light grade sand paper to do this, you are only trying to very lightly rough up the bat so that that it will absorb the oil more effectively.

2. Coat the bat with the linseed oil using a dry clean cloth. Run the cloth straight up the bat so that it is running with the grain (ie - not going from edge to edge). It is important to ensure that it is only a light coat so that it does not drench the willow.

Oil_2.jpg

3. Leave for 2 days at least - this will allow the oil time to be absorbed into the willow and strengthen the bat. Store the bat in a dry place to prevent moisture getting into the bat (if moisture gets into the bat it can cause the bat to warp). If you have time leaving the bat for roughly a week would be the optimal timing.

4. Sand back again, just taking the top layer of the oil off to prepare the willow again for oiling. Then repeat the oiling process again. This process should be repeated at least

So that is treating the bat. If you follow these steps you should now have a treated and stronger cricket bat. Now onto knocking the bat in.

Knocking In The New Bat

The majority of stores selling bats will recommend that the minimum numbers of hours required is 6-8. However it is important to point out that a cricket bat can never be knocked in too much. - meaning that the more time you spend on your bat the better it will handle its job and will provide better results for you.

1. Generally the best tool to use when knocking in the bat is a ball mounted on a wooden stick, these are available from practically all sporting stores. Then lay the bat down and start working the bat in with the ball. It is best to work from the middle out to the edges. This will begin simulating the effects of using the bat along with knocking the bat in at the same time

Cricket_Bat_Mallet_Ball.jpg

(The bat mallet)

2. When knocking in the bat pay special attention to the splice (the splice is the v-section joining the main body of the bat and the handle - generally located under the main sticker on the front of the bat) and the edges. The splice and edges are most commonly damaged during play. The more you focus on the edges and splice the stronger your bat will be and the longer it will last. Knocking in at home I would suggest should at least be done for 6-10 hours if you want your bat too last.

*** Be sure to also pay attention to the back of the bat to strengthen all parts of the bat. And when you are knocking in your bat it is common to think ?hey am I hitting it too hard?? - no matter how hard you can bring the ball onto the bat, the ball is going to hit it far harder in a match so youll be fine.

3. After you feel that the ball is starting to come off the bat with more force (generally the ball starts to make a ?ping? sound when it comes off the bat) you can then take it to the next level. Generally most players will take the bat to the nets and continue to work the ball in. At this time the best bet is to focus primarily on forward defensive shots and simple drives, this will not only strengthen the bat but also let you begin to connect to it.

Last edited:

embi

International Coach
Cheers for that mate, should clear up alot of things todo with bat preperation.
Just like to add my point in the other thread, not to put too much oil on it.

MWaugh

International Coach
thanks mate.yeah i forgot that part - all fixed now

FreddieFan

International Coach
Great guide, thanks mate.

2. Coat the bat with the linseed oil using a dry clean cloth.

I've always used a paper towel, folded over a couple of times. Is this ok?

MWaugh

International Coach
it is but you may get some paper run/rub off onto the bat. if youve got a clean cloth its going to work the best its just a bit stronger. however if the paper towl works then thats fine

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
I'd also suggest using an Antiscuff cover - a thin sheet of plastic that goes over the face of the bat. More cosmetic than anything. It makes it look good can be cleaned. Otherwise the bat becomes very dirty after a year or so, especially with red ball marks.

Also, a toe guard. You don't want your bat to swell up or crack when jammed up against a yorker.

embi

International Coach
Similar to what Adarsh said, a face cover might be a good idea. It strengthens the face of the bat and prevents cracks from appearing. Its sorta like bat tape, but the right size for the face of the blade.
Speaking of bat-tape, MWaugh you got any tips on applying this?

Chimp132

International Cricketer
i have a problem, i cant get a cricket ball on a stick from any shops near me, but i do have a mallet, but i dont trust myself that i can get the same finish as a machine would do, and if i do it for 30mins each day until i have done 6 hours, i dont trust myself that i can use it in a match confidently knowing that it wont brake, so basicly im just wondering if you have ever knocked a bat in by hand and if it has been strong in a match or lasted a long time

embi

International Coach
A bat shouldn't normally break in a match if you've knocked it in a bit, it only usually happens if you're facing really fast bowlers and you're playing some nice shots. Also, cheap 2 or 1 piece balls that are rock hard also don't help your bat.
A mallet is fine, a ball on a stick is just the best tool.
Another option I have often heard is to stick an old ball in a sock and bounce that off the surface.

zreh

Club Cricketer
Who says all Kashmir willow bats are cheap? Try out the MRF Typhoon...A beautiful bat, I love it, and I play cricket at a high level. BTW, good thread, you were very particular, well explained.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
Thanks for the info, too bad i broke my bat last week... ordered a new GN Longbow in thursday though.

Iron-Haggis

Club Cricketer
If you don't have a mallet, then just hold an old ball in your hand and bang on the bat. Plus before going into a match if you're not confident your bat is fully knocked in, head down to the nets. Start off with people bowling slowly and then let them work up the pace with the older balls. It's not a bad way to help knock in your bat.

Also good post MWaugh.

Chimp132

International Cricketer
Drewska said:
Thanks for the info, too bad i broke my bat last week... ordered a new GN Longbow in thursday though.

my mate had one of those, and i bowled one that landed just outside legstump and took hthe top edge of this bat then got caught behind from the massive rip i gave it, and it got the top edge, and a peice of wood came flying off, the top of the bat isnt very strong, very nice bat though

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
embi said:
A bat shouldn't normally break in a match if you've knocked it in a bit, it only usually happens if you're facing really fast bowlers and you're playing some nice shots.

Not entirely true. My Kookaburra Genesis was knocked in for a while, as well as having been used through nets, "pre-knocked in" before purchase, and oiled and toe-guarded. Was going nicely for 4-5 games, and then suddenly in a friendly game against a bowler who was slower than Boycotts Gran, it split almost entirely just playing a leg-glance for a quick single!

Shop I bought it from is fairly useless unfortunately, should have a replacement by february... will come in handy for all that cricket that gets played in Feb :rolleyes:

MWaugh

International Coach
zreh said:
Who says all Kashmir willow bats are cheap? Try out the MRF Typhoon...A beautiful bat, I love it, and I play cricket at a high level.

not all kashmir bats are cheap. but they are generally considered as a cheaper alternative to english willow. english willow is generally graded higher than kashmir and is more responsive. but of course a top line kashmir willow bat is still going to be a very high quality bat

Users who are viewing this thread