Cricket's Greatest Moments

I'd say Ashes 2005,especially Edgbaston, India v Pakistan in 2003 WC, India v Australia in 2001, Natwest Final 2002 India v England, but the best would be 1999 WC Semifinal between South Africa and Australia. That game was simply awesome. The emotions were uncontrollable, it was a rollercoaster of a match. I was very young 8 years ago but I still remember the last few overs quite clearly with Klusener smashing Damien Fleming all over and of course the run out. I was literally crying at the end.

Simbazz said:
Mine most undoubtably is Gillespie making 201* for Australia :p I don't much like his skill in bowling, but man, captains dream Night watchmen.

I agree with Dizzy's 201*. But the rest of your comment, have you ever seen Gillespie bowl when in his prime? He was fast, accurate and bouncy and troubled the best bastmen.

Other great moments in cricket for me are

Bevan's 4 off the last ball to win the game at the SCG against the Windies in 1996.

Australia's Wolrd Cup wins 99 and 03.

Glenn McGrath's 61 against New Zealand

Iron-Haggis said:
I agree with Dizzy's 201*. But the rest of your comment, have you ever seen Gillespie bowl when in his prime? He was fast, accurate and bouncy and troubled the best bastmen.

Agreed. I loved Gillespie when he was in his prime i.e, with short hair. He had loads of nip and iirc, he completely destroyed the Windies top order in 2000/1 when he took 6 on his own. 250+ wickets is his tally isn't it? Not bad at all.

I remember that and all I have to say about that is LOL!

There are some highlights on Youtube of that innings I think. Obviously i'm not going to link it though, just do a search.

Another one of my favourites has to be our annihilation of South Africa in the 2003 Natwest final. The days when we are a half-decent ODI team. I'm also going to include another Natwest final; The tied one from 2005 which set the tone perfectly for the Ashes.

Last edited:
Steve Waughs 100 in Sydney with a 4 on the last ball the whole of australia knows where they were when that happened it was INCREDIBLE

Mine will always be imo Glenn McGraths hattrick...taking Brian Lara on the second wicket which was also his 300th wicket...

Bangladesh's memorable victory against Australia have to be up there, a minnow beating the might and giant in the Aussies.

05 Ashes series was another great moment as it captured the imagination and attention and regained interest in cricket in both Australia and England.

The tention of the last day of theOld Trafford test match, Justin Langer going out in the 2nd over of the day, Michael Clarke batting despite being quite unwell and doing quite well for his 39 and the English fans beginning to doubt if they could pull it off and then Simon Jones removing Clarke's offstump and the next over (I think) the wall, Jason Gillespie getting trapped LBW to Matthew Hoggard and the commentaitor yelling "UP GOES THE FINGER! UP GOES THE FINGER! GILLESPIE TRAPPED LBW FOR THE 5TH TIME IN THE SERIES BY THIS ENGLAND ATTACK" and then good old Shane Warne coming to the crease and battling through 20 overs before knicking one and Andrew Strauss dropping it, deflecting off of his knee and then Jones catching it and David Llyod going crazy "GIVE ME THE BOWL, I'LL GET CHA' A WICKET! HE HAD TO KNICK ONE, JUST WATCH... KNICK, DROP, CAUGHT! WHAT A REACTION THAT IS! HIS HAD HIS CRICTICS, THEY CAN ALL KEEP QUIET NOW, GERIANT JONES MIGHT JUST OFF DONE IT FOR ENGLAND!" and then seeing a replay of Flintoff nipping up but then after batting through the entire day, the champion, Ricky Ponting gets a glove on one and from then on in just looks at the ground and doesn't lift his head up once as he trudges off for 156 and then Glenn McGrath, the relieable Glenn McGrath, our champion bowler helps Brett Lee lead us to victory. I thought it was funny when McGrath showed his true batting prowess and tried dabbing at one and then the commentaitor saying "Owww... that's missed by a whisker!". :D

Without doubt Symonds 143* against Pakistan in the 2003 World Cup :D

Iron-Haggis said:

Other great moments in cricket for me are

Bevan's 4 off the last ball to win the game at the SCG against the Windies in 1996.

Australia's Wolrd Cup wins 99 and 03.

In Gillespie's first ever test match at the MCG he bowled a bouncer that went 1 bounce into the sight screen, he was really really really quick but lost a lot of that as he got injured in the same match (from memory).

wfdu_ben91 said:
The tention of the last day of theOld Trafford test match, Justin Langer going out in the 2nd over of the day, Michael Clarke batting despite being quite unwell and doing quite well for his 39 and the English fans beginning to doubt if they could pull it off and then Simon Jones removing Clarke's offstump and the next over (I think) the wall, Jason Gillespie getting trapped LBW to Matthew Hoggard and the commentaitor yelling "UP GOES THE FINGER! UP GOES THE FINGER! GILLESPIE TRAPPED LBW FOR THE 5TH TIME IN THE SERIES BY THIS ENGLAND ATTACK" and then good old Shane Warne coming to the crease and battling through 20 overs before knicking one and Andrew Strauss dropping it, deflecting off of his knee and then Jones catching it and David Llyod going crazy "GIVE ME THE BOWL, I'LL GET CHA' A WICKET! HE HAD TO KNICK ONE, JUST WATCH... KNICK, DROP, CAUGHT! WHAT A REACTION THAT IS! HIS HAD HIS CRICTICS, THEY CAN ALL KEEP QUIET NOW, GERIANT JONES MIGHT JUST OFF DONE IT FOR ENGLAND!" and then seeing a replay of Flintoff nipping up but then after batting through the entire day, the champion, Ricky Ponting gets a glove on one and from then on in just looks at the ground and doesn't lift his head up once as he trudges off for 156 and then Glenn McGrath, the relieable Glenn McGrath, our champion bowler helps Brett Lee lead us to victory. I thought it was funny when McGrath showed his true batting prowess and tried dabbing at one and then the commentaitor saying "Owww... that's missed by a whisker!". :D

That Test match was an absolute thriller. I was at Old Trafford for days 1,2 and 5 but at one stage I thought it might not even last the 5 days. That lats day was unbearable, I remember getting an elbow in the face when Hoggard got Gillespie out but I was so pumped that I didn't even feel anything. I remember just sitting dejectedly when Lee blocked out the final ball but that is without doubt the greatest Test match I have ever witnessed from the stands myself.

That match where Dizzy got his 50 and the celebration and McGrath getting the 61. What a disaster that test was.

I remember sitting at the computer watching the scorecard for hours once Dizzy was nearing the hundred then he got 200. Longest i've sat watching cricinfo. I would soo buy that innings on DVD.

What else, a few world cup finals. That Cairns innings to win us our only trophy in the ICC knockout. 'Amazing Adelaide'. The Ashes in 2005. There are heaps!

for sheer perfect timing it would be Freddies sledging to Tino Best(watch the windows Tino) being picked up on the stump microphones and Best getting stumped next ball.

the ashes 2nd test last over and kp and paul collingwood making shane warne unshore how to bowl to them lol (in the 2nd test of this years ashes)

evertonfan said:
Throughout your period of following cricket what is/are the greatest moment(s) you have ever witnessed?

it's what i think are the greatest moments i've witnessed

Users who are viewing this thread