Day/Night Test Matches

Personally I don't like it. Test cricket should have as minimal changes as possible. ODI/T20 are formats for tinkering with, more so T20. Nothing is wrong with Test cricket, so why change it?

Why is that a dark pink ball? The many tests that have been conducted have generally concluded that the pink ball is actually the easiest to detect.

Not sure why people are so against it. Especially like the comment about people not going along to watch after work... well they'll certainly find it easier to actually go to the ground and watch than they will when they're actually at work :facepalm

As much as I love keeping up to date with the test match when I'm at work, I'd much rather be able to come home and actually watch it.

Other good points definitely include things like different stages of the day/night cycle offering differing benefits to bowlers.

The only problem is getting the ball to last 80 overs; in testing, it has required 4 balls to get through a day. The fundamental difference for the one-day ball is that it's just painted; whatever the colour, the paint wears and grass makes it darker. The red ball is full of dye and wax to polish out. It's also not important that it stays a light colour.

So the pink ball has to present characteristics of both; it has to be lacquered and bright, but getting the dye right is necessary for the ball to survive any length of time. As such, each round of tests usually involves a more advanced prototype; the latest one hasn't been used yet.

I'm wondering whether that would just be part of the charm of day night tests: use a white ball and change it every session ie. you'd get 25-30 overs out of it, which is how long a white ball can last for. Spinners would cry foul about getting a new ball every session, but then spinners should be crying foul about day-night cricket - there would be a lot more due and moisture around at night which makes it harder for them. If you tied it in with stricter over rate controls, that might help spinner usage.

After this they will start weekends cricket test matches ...

Sponsors and money is now ruling this game ... they should try to make it popular in US ... than they will see the real sponsorship ... :)

Playing test cricket at night is a horrible idea. It just shows that TV is ruling cricket

But if the scheduling meant you could watch South Africa playing after you got home from school/work, would you not see a benefit? I lose count of the times I've tried getting up early for an overseas Test in the middle of the night and frankly I think places like India would not lose any attendance if you played it at midnight there.

But in principle I think it is just not necessary. Would be better if they put a roof on grounds so rain wasn't a factor and put floodlights on so that bad light doesn't stop play. Just imagine buying your ticket for the day's play and being sure that you will see at least 90 overs.

Hence why I'm looking forward to the Perth Test cause I'll be able to watch more than just the last hour of play on the weekdays.

Hence why I'm looking forward to the Perth Test cause I'll be able to watch more than just the last hour of play on the weekdays.

This is why I like the Perth Test. Having said that, if all Tests were like that then I wouldn't be keen on that. I think the fact that it is still light in Perth and it is night time in Sydney. For me, it is a "natural" day-night Test because of the time zone.

Yep and the Perth Test always gets the best TV ratings because that last session is in prime time on the east coast. It's a little surprising in this era of TV companies and money driving cricket that we don't get 2 Perth Tests every summer. Thankfully they don't play true day/night ODIs in Perth though...games would finish about 1am!

Yep and the Perth Test always gets the best TV ratings because that last session is in prime time on the east coast. It's a little surprising in this era of TV companies and money driving cricket that we don't get 2 Perth Tests every summer. Thankfully they don't play true day/night ODIs in Perth though...games would finish about 1am!

I'm pretty sure they have had a day/night game in Perth before. I think in the first ever Commonwealth Bank series, 06/07 when England and New Zealand took part. I think Oram won the game for New Zealand.

For Perth viewers though the other test matches must be a pain for them in regards to start times.

It sounds more left field than it really is - but why not 'paint' the traditional red ball using ball-tracking lasers? If it's possible to track and destroy ballistic missiles using lasers, then surely illuminating a cricket ball shouldn't be too hard? Or if it is too hard, then why not simply fit powerful LED lights to the spidercam apparatus and suspend them directly above the pitch?

Point is, I don't think the ball should be the limiting factor here.

^Interesting ideas - I like it. Cricket was willing to employ military technology to find if there are inside edges or not (Hotspot), so why not military technology to 'paint' the ball?

Funny isn't how they can put a man on the moon but can't make a light coloured cricket ball stay bright for 80 overs.

White is out of the question. It was the whit ball that led to coloured clothing cause they were losing the ball against the white clothing

I think we all know that cricket is pretty second rate when it comes to innovation and re-inventing itself. It took Packer and Modi to induce any sort of major changes at all, and I think we need someone similar now to help make day/night Tests a successful reality.

Here's what I'd like to see on a trial run:
- West Indies invited to Australia for three Tests in November
- Play 3 x T20Is the weekend before to drum up interest
- Marketing and rule changes focus on gladiatorial aspect of batsmen vs fast bowlers: no helmets, unlimited bouncers, eight ball overs, "natural" ball-tampering (ie no bottle caps but otherwise go nuts), pitches left to bake during the day so they're nice and quick for night-time with a bit of variable bounce. It's all about Roach, Edwards, Taylor, Cummins, Pattinson etc.
- Each match starts 7pm either Thu or Fri night, finishes midnight each night, minimum 75 overs per day. If you've got a result pitch, this should be pretty workable. Let's introduce 60s rule for batsmen to get to the crease and a run penalty for being behind the over rate as well. Batsmen who hold up the game get docked runs.
- Provide detailed stats/info over stadium WI-FI: ball speed, deviation, live feeds and replays from cameras etc. Let people bring their $20 tablets along and analyse the game live.
- During the day before the match? International players coach the youngsters, maybe even play a couple of 10-over friendlies with them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread