Difference in sponsorship amounts: India, Bangladesh and Pakistan

anandbatra

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Here are a few stats to show why India is expected to perform well.

The whole sponsorship of the Bangladesh team is for Indian rupees 2,50,000($5000). The whole sponsorship for the Pakistan team is Indian Rupees 7,00,00,000.

A 10 second ad on Set Max costed Rs 4,00,000 for the WC.

Nike has pledged INR 2,15,00,00,000 just for the kit sponsorship. Sahara gave INR 3,40,00,00,000 for the team sponsorship. Let's not talk about the other smaller deals, all of which are more than what Pakistan and Bangladesh get as sponsorship.

So, when the Indian team is paid the highest match fees, when the get the best coach, when they get the best facilities, when they get a designer uniform; why then do they not perform?

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
It's simple. The only reason India has the most sponsorship is because we have the most fans. Sponsors do not care about performance--they care about exposure. Hence, there is no direct correlation between sponsorship money and performance. There is an indirect one where sponsors put in a lot of money because they expect multiple exposures (due to good performance).

Hence, expecting our players to perform because we get paid the most is the incorrect way to think about it.

anandbatra

Club Cricketer
Yes, I do understand that. But, when this kind of money comes into the game, then you would expect the board and players to take advantage of this, and try to improve their performance.

Give 1/100000 of this amount to the Indian shooters that sweep all Commonwealth game medals, and some Asian medals, too.

Also, the sponsors do care about the team's performance. The best example of this would be the replacement of Sunfeast's Sachin ad with Shahrukh's ad after yesterday's match. The Sansui Dravid ad has gone off air.

My point wasn't about the sponsorship; my point was about the inability of the sissies to take the initiative and prove that they're worth the billions that they attract.

I read somewhere that 1300 crore rupees was the combined budget of all the other sponsors:

1300 crore- 13,00,00,00,000

gaurav_indian

International Coach
Board has given every facilities to cricketers which even Pakistan and Bangladesh's players dont get.They get ads,money,fame,stardom but performance wise they are zero.Its players fault.Now they dont have this excuse that wickets were fast here.They are looking like a bunch of jokers now.Dravid said in a post match conference that it was like another match.Wow for the last two years ever since we lost a match he was saying we are preparing for the world cup we are trying different combinations.Now he is saying this World Cup is like any other tournament.Grow up Rahul Dravid.:mad:

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Dravid siad , '' We did not deserve to win this World Cup '' :mad: , what kind of captain India got :rolleyes:

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
WORLD CHAMPIONS said:
Dravid siad , '' We did not deserve to win this World Cup '' :mad: , what kind of captain India got :rolleyes:

Well if you play badly...you don't deserve to win. Wheres your point?

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
I couldnt Find even a single cricketers advert in any channel.
suddenly a drastic change in the ads LOL !!!! :D

e.g Yuvraj - Parachute. style on everyday :rolleyes:

anandbatra

Club Cricketer
Yep, that's a nice change. No more Sachin Sunfeast ads, no more Dravid Sansui Ads, no more Dhoni(10-12 brands) ads, no more Ganguly ads. Woohoo!

gaurav_indian

International Coach
Thank god no more Dhoni ads.

aila Sachin in every home.Boost is the secret of my energy.BullS*** :mad:

anandbatra

Club Cricketer
gaurav_indian said:
Thank god no more Dhoni ads.

aila Sachin in every home.Boost is the secret of my energy.BullS*** :mad:

Mallika Sherawat is the secret of my energy.
:p

Indyan

Club Cricketer
I am happy that ooh aah pepsi ad if off air. That ad used to piss me off even when india was winning.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
WORLD CHAMPIONS said:
.... An honest one?

anandbatra said:
Yes, I do understand that. But, when this kind of money comes into the game, then you would expect the board and players to take advantage of this, and try to improve their performance.
You would expect it, but you cannot require it. It's nice to think that money can get you everything, but for some things there's Mastercard. I mean mental resolve. India is one of the mentally weaker teams around, in my opinion. And mental resolve cannot be bought or taught. It is built from winning.

anandbatra said:
Give 1/100000 of this amount to the Indian shooters that sweep all Commonwealth game medals, and some Asian medals, too.
It would be nice if most corporates distributed money "fairly" but the economics of the situation just doesn't work out for anyone trying to take that sort of risk.

anandbatra said:
Also, the sponsors do care about the team's performance. The best example of this would be the replacement of Sunfeast's Sachin ad with Shahrukh's ad after yesterday's match. The Sansui Dravid ad has gone off air.
Well--we aren't going to see the Indian cricket players on TV anytime soon--so no exposure. Why would they waste advertisement time on them now? You can rest assured, though, that if Bermuda pull of a freak victory, those ads will be right back in your face.

anandbatra said:
My point wasn't about the sponsorship; my point was about the inability of the sissies to take the initiative and prove that they're worth the billions that they attract.
Well--they cannot help if they attract money, can they? I mean I guess at some level you can blame the selection system because India's best XI are not out there day in and day out (probably all of our XI is not even in the top 100 in the country) but once you get an India cap, you're not going to say no to sponsorship offers. You have to think about the players' earnings as well. We've seen a fair number of Indian players who've only bagged one or two caps that saw a surge in temporary income and who have probably now gone back to their middle-class lifestyle because state contracts aren't worth all that much.

In short, my point is that the Indian team is definitely accountable for their bad performance, but that the high amount of money they get is not the best reason for that accountability.

Users who are viewing this thread