England in Australia

Andrew G

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
puddleduck said:
Oh and is there currently a better batsman in world cricket to have coming in or at the crease when there is a collapse than Hussey?
To be honest, I can't think of anyone...
Gilchrist used to be our man for such a job,
but M.Hussey has made that role his own now.

I doubt there's anyone who's as versatile as M.Hussey.
Wether he's opening the innings, at middle-order or a tail-ender,
he can do it, and does it well more often then not.

I can't think of a player (or batsmen) in the entire English side who's better,
and yet M.Hussey has had a shorter Test career then most of them.
Just when the Poms thought they had the wood on us after the previous
Ashes series, up pops Mr.Cricket (M.Hussey), and also the Glenn McGrath
clone - Stuart Clark (and they said we had no new worthy talent, lmao).

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Andrew G said:
Mr.Cricket (M.Hussey), and also the Glenn McGrath
clone - Stuart Clark (and they said we had no new worthy talent, lmao).

To be fair, both of them are the wrong side of 30, hardly young rising stars of the cricket world are they?

You talk about there not being a batsman in the England side that's better, I can assure you now that KP, Cook and Bell will all score more international runs than him, because they will play for a good 10 years more ;) All 3 are 26 and under, and all three have more than 1000 test runs to their name already.

Since you didn't specify batsman alone, I think Freddie fully fit is a better player than Hussey as he offers more and is one of the few genuine all-rounders in World Cricket.

Still since you quoted my post, I stand by my assessment that at the moment there is noone better in World Cricket for coming in at a key moment than Hussey, but time is not on his side, and at 30 is in the peak of his game as a batsman. He could feasibly lose it by 35, and Clark is hardly going to become the long term successor to McGrath, so keep looking and don't get compacent ;)

Andrew G

Club Cricketer
sohummisra said:
The question is, if Australia win the third test, will they go for a whitewash or lay back and see how the fringe players perform against quality international opposition?
Good question, sohummisra...

I think they'll go for a whitewash, as it may really destroy England's morale
and cause them grief long term. The British press would absolutely tear them
apart and help cause the end of one or two players careers aswell, namely
Giles and G.Jones (who's careers should already be over), and maybe
Harmison could feel the end of a boot aswell - for a while at the very most,
or until he gets back in to long term form.

I don't think Australia will experiment until England have no chance of
winning/retaining the Ashes, there's to much is at stake at the moment.
I reckon they'll experiment with Cameron White or Dan Cullen, as we'll
need a new Spinner to partner MacGill at some time come the next Ashes
series when Warne isn't apart of the Ashes test squad.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
puddleduck said:
He could feasibly lose it by 35, and Clark is hardly going to become the long term successor to McGrath, so keep looking and don't get compacent ;)

Oh we got one coming up, his name is Ben Hilfenhaus you're be hearing alot more of him in the future.
White I would say is one that could become our next Hussey, has the big hitting and has rescued both Aus A and Victoria a number of times.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
aussie1st said:
Oh we got one coming up, his name is Ben Hilfenhaus you're be hearing alot more of him in the future.
White I would say is one that could become our next Hussey, has the big hitting and has rescued both Aus A and Victoria a number of times.

The thing is for all his talent, he hasn't done it yet, nor has he even had international experience yet, so it's all speculation. Until someone fills the void that will no doubt be left, nothing is certain ;)

It would be just as easy for me to say Broad and Panasar will be Englands McGrath and Warne for years to come, but the fact of the matter is for all the success Panesar has had in his first year, the two players being mentioned are legends of the game, and trying to fill the shoes of a legend is never going to be easy.

Edit - As an example take a Ramprakash or Hick, all the talent in the world but never able to replicate it at international level, nothing in life is certain. And on that note, I really should go to bed :p

Last edited:

Andrew G

Club Cricketer
puddleduck said:
You talk about there not being a batsman in the England side that's better, I can assure you now that KP, Cook and Bell will all score more international runs than him, because they will play for a good 10 years more ;) All 3 are 26 and under, and all three have more than 1000 test runs to their name already.
True - they'll play longer, but the context I was using is 'at this moment'.
And as for them having over 1000 runs each, well they have been playing
Test Cricket longer, so no real suprise there mate.
I think Cook has played less test matches then Hussey, but given the
many 'not outs' Hussey has had due to him being lower in the order,
his Runs tally is not a real indication of Hussey's batting skills.

Since you didn't specify batsman alone, I think Freddie fully fit is a better player than Hussey as he offers more and is one of the few genuine all-rounders in World Cricket.
Again, the context I was using is 'at this moment'. I try not to dabble
in the future, nobody can really predict it, afterall who would of predicted
a good bowler like Harmison being such a drastic flop this Ashes series.
I can understand you reading my post wrong, I should have been
a little more specific in my points, my bad.

and Clark is hardly going to become the long term successor to McGrath, so keep looking and don't get compacent ;)
True again, but my point was that people said we had no new worthy talent.
As all now know, age is nothing in Cricket, we've shown that, McGrath has
shown that (even after a 11 month break), so yeah, Clark could be
a long term replacement (depends what you consider long term).

Take care champ... :cool:
Have a good sleep, try not to dream about day 5 of Adelaide. ;)

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
puddleduck said:
The thing is for all his talent, he hasn't done it yet, nor has he even had international experience yet, so it's all speculation. Until someone fills the void that will no doubt be left, nothing is certain ;)

It would be just as easy for me to say Broad and Panasar will be Englands McGrath and Warne for years to come, but the fact of the matter is for all the success Panesar has had in his first year, the two players being mentioned are legends of the game, and trying to fill the shoes of a legend is never going to be easy.

Edit - As an example take a Ramprakash or Hick, all the talent in the world but never able to replicate it at international level, nothing in life is certain. And on that note, I really should go to bed :p

Obviously I don't mean he'll be the next McGrath, he will be a good replacement for him though I feel as he swings the ball at pace. If he'll make it we will see in the coming years, all that we can do now is watch him perform in FC and dream what he might become.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

well...as you could tell from the last ashes test it looks like Clark will be McGraths shadow replacement...Ponting even showed more faith in Clark when a wicket was needed

genghis_khan

International Cricketer
thats what you get for stealing our urn! :rolleyes:

Australia won't make any changes for Perth me thinks, people will be calling for Martyn's head, but i dont think Watson is even fit yet and Marto is still a class act.
England first and foremost must dump Anderson hes the weak link (although so are Giles and Harmison). Thats the problem with this England team, too much left to too few. With the batting its all Pietersen atm, bowling it's Hoggard and Flintoff.

rickyp

International Coach
watson couldnt play in the latest QLD one day game, and they are saying its extremely unlikely he will be fit for perth. I'd love to see this lineup IMO

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Watson
Hussey
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
McGill/Clark
McGrath

Obviously determining whether its a spin or pace pitch would change the bowling, but thats what I'd like to see in Melbourne

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
genghis_khan said:
thats what you get for stealing our urn! :rolleyes:

Australia won't make any changes for Perth me thinks, people will be calling for Martyn's head, but i dont think Watson is even fit yet and Marto is still a class act.
England first and foremost must dump Anderson hes the weak link (although so are Giles and Harmison). Thats the problem with this England team, too much left to too few. With the batting its all Pietersen atm, bowling it's Hoggard and Flintoff.

For the last time no you cant drop Harmy if you want to drop someone drp Giles and Anderson!

Andrew G

Club Cricketer
ZoraxDoom said:
Happy B-Day Andrew Flintoff, although it must be a very sad one indeed...
Yeah Happy B-Day Freddie... :cheers

Hope you liked our suprise we gave you on day 5.
I for one wouldn't knock something great like that back,
so don't be picky now, ya hear... :rolleyes:

A.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
puddleduck said:
And they'll probably all score more runs than Don Bradman or Wally Hammond or Jack Hobbs or Graeme Pollock or Garry Sobers, but I'll have no doubt who were better.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Pietersen might end up being better then Hussey. I doubt Bell or Cook will be as successful though. They'll be quality batsman but they ain't no Mike Hussey. I'd imigane they'd be batsman who average in the mid to low 40's throughout their career.

I wouldn't think Cameron White would end up being anywhere as good as Huss either. I'
ve liked what I've seen of Hilfenhaus' bowling though. But I wouldn't go speculating on the 'next' McGrath or whatever... They'll be some good future Australian players but not all as good as from the current era I wouldn't think.

Users who are viewing this thread