England in India - Oct to Jan 2012/13

S

Satan666

India have mostly been tigers at home, and pussies abroad (that record was pretty well reversed by Ganguly, Dravid, Sachin, Laxman, Kumble and co in the last decade, but Dhoni and Fletcher are trying to bring it back to square one).

From 2000 to present India have won the following series abroad:

India in Pakistan 2003/04 India 2-1 (3)

India in Bangladesh 2004/05 India 2-0 (2)

India in Zimbabwe 2005 India 2-0 (2)

India in West Indies 2006 India 1-0 (4)
India in Bangladesh 2007 India 1-0 (2)

India in New Zealand 2008/09 India 1-0 (3)

India in Bangladesh 2009/10 India 2-0 (2)

India in West Indies 2011 India 1-0 (3)

India in England 2007 India 1-0 (3)

Cricket Records | India | Records | Test matches | Series results | ESPN Cricinfo

Whilst India have won in NZ, WI, Bangla and Zimbabwe they havent won in SA or AUS, even the victories in NZ and WI were marginally and we all know how weak these teams have been over the last decade or so. Winning against the Banglas and Zimbabweans is a given evry team wins there!

The real triumphs were once in England by a slim margin in 2007 and Pakistan in 2003, so to say that India 'reversed their poor overseas record over the last decade'' is quite untrue, agreed they have done better by winning in Pak and Eng but its not enough!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
From 2000 to present India have won the following series abroad:

India in Pakistan 2003/04 India 2-1 (3)

India in Bangladesh 2004/05 India 2-0 (2)

India in Zimbabwe 2005 India 2-0 (2)

India in West Indies 2006 India 1-0 (4)
India in Bangladesh 2007 India 1-0 (2)

India in New Zealand 2008/09 India 1-0 (3)

India in Bangladesh 2009/10 India 2-0 (2)

India in West Indies 2011 India 1-0 (3)

India in England 2007 India 1-0 (3)

Cricket Records | India | Records | Test matches | Series results | ESPN Cricinfo

Whilst India have won in NZ, WI, Bangla and Zimbabwe they havent won in SA or AUS, even the victories in NZ and WI were marginally and we all know how weak these teams have been over the last decade or so. Winning against the Banglas and Zimbabweans is a given evry team wins there!

The real triumphs were once in England by a slim margin in 2007 and Pakistan in 2003, so to say that India 'reversed their poor overseas record over the last decade'' is quite untrue, agreed they have done better by winning in Pak and Eng but its not enough!

I never wrote those lines based on series victories. That line also included individual test match wins. In the 90's, India were so bad that they could not even win those individual tests overseas. We were that poor overseas, that the record was reversed when the Ganguly era started.

----------

I keep forgetting they still have fletcher as their coach. Everyone knew it was a terrible appointment.

:cheers I hope he gets booted out in a few months. His contract is ending soon.

S

Satan666

I never wrote those lines based on series victories. That line also included individual test match wins. In the 90's, India were so bad that they could not even win those individual tests overseas. We were that poor overseas, that the record was reversed when the Ganguly era started.

Funny thing though is teams have started winning in India, SA won a series in 2000, NZ had a drawn series in 2003 and Aus won in 2004, WI and Zim have had many drawn tests in the last decade also, and most recently England have won a test match in Mumbai.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Satan666

Some interesting articles on cricinfo:

The illusion they have tried to create through countless interviews that they were done in on "green tops" and they were still world-beaters at home has come crashing down.
England in India 2012-13 : India's bowling not a new problem | Cricket Features | India v England | ESPN Cricinfo

By the time he goes out to bat at Eden Gardens, Tendulkar will have gone 23 months without a Test century, the longest such period in his career. When Monty Panesar trapped him lbw at his home ground, he had gone 10 innings without reaching 30, again the longest ever. Without a doubt this has been his leanest phase.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2012/content/current/story/594391.html

Tell you what guys the spirits are telling me we're gonna see a special inns from Sachin here and a possible win for the Indians, hoping they're wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I see the Indian PR campaign is gaining pace. The curator and Dhoni both coming out and saying that it will suit pace bowlers, leads me to think that the only pitch we will be getting is a rank turner and this is some attempt to get England to leave Panesar out. Good luck with that theory lads. :D

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
I reckon it's going to be a flat pitch. The curator said it was the same pitch that was used for some recent Ranji games, and if memory serves correctly, they were high-scoring draws.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
But if it's been played on already, then that means that it will be more worn, so will turn. Plus, more likely to break up after a couple of days, meaning minefield for the spinners.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
I reckon it's going to be a flat pitch. The curator said it was the same pitch that was used for some recent Ranji games, and if memory serves correctly, they were high-scoring draws.

But if it's been played on already, then that means that it will be more worn, so will turn. Plus, more likely to break up after a couple of days, meaning minefield for the spinners.

This, my dear friends.

Dhoni wants similar pitch in the 3rd test but tell you what, the pitch of next venue is newly made; only 1 Ranji trophy game has been played on it and low bounce was seen on it.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Just can't wait to see the atmosphere @ the ground. Recalling AUS test their in 98 & 2001 & TVS Cup 2003 tri-national final win. England 1st odi in the 2002 series when Trescothick scored a century to name a few.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Finn for Broad is an easy one; Bell for Bairstow less so. Normal circs Bell plays but he's scored fewer runs this year than most our bowlers.

S

Satan666

First series I am witnessing such hype with respect to pitch conditions. Why?

Is it because the Indians are trying to create turning pitches which have plagued the English over the past year, if so is this within the spirit of the game?

Is it because in the last 5 or so years the Indian pitches have been roads without results, hence they wish to produce pitches which will produce a result in the present?

Whatever the reasons are, shouldn't pitches be prepared to produce an even contest between bat and ball?

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Those dreaded words that I keep on hearing: India have won the toss.

Finn coming in was the right thing to do, not so convinced by Bell coming back though. Needs to perform.

D

Deleted member 11215

Really excited for this one, Finn surely can't do any worse than Broad. One thing you can guarantee is that we'll need at least one massive partnership from within our top 6 because the form is so mixed.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Sehwag. :facepalm

----------

On a second thought that might've actually been Gambhir's fault, either ways, terrible running one must say.

Users who are viewing this thread