England National football team thread

I think it helps that Roy finally realised Welbeck is very hardworking, as well being capable of getting in goalscoring positions, so there's no need to draft in a grafter like Milner on one flank to make up the numbers.

I've got a bad feeling we'll be seeing the tired formula of Gerrard-Lampard in Brazil. Why does every England manager turn out to be an idiot with this issue? At least Capello had Gerrard start wide on the left, drifting inside and exchanging positions with Rooney.

Ye basically, if Liverpool has a great season by winning the league or finish in the top 3, I envision Jordan Henderson being picked over Lampard. Gerrard & Carrick are the only older mid-fielders i would pick - supported by the younger Wilshere, Barkely & Henderson (form permitting).

Once all are fit & firing come the end of the season, Walcott, Townsend, Oxlade, Sterling would be the preferred wing options. It would be criminal if Hodgson selected Milner under this scenario, as a wing option for Brazil.

Only defense i'd give Milner is that i feel he actually would be better centrally. The most impressive Milner ever looked in club football was his last period @ Aston Villa playing centrally. He should great energy as a box-to-box player. But City just shoe horned him as this workman like winger. If he got to play centrally again, i reckon people just might view him differently.

Last edited:
Can't wait for the game tomorrow! :)

I think we will win but it certainly won't be easy, I'm going for a 2-1 win.

Lets hope we don't get a repeat of 2007 against Croatia...

Last edited by a moderator:
This Poland side is pretty mediocre compared to that Croatia side that had solid players in all positions, was very well managed by Bilic and basically passed England off the pitch at Wembley.

Poland dispatched and England safely through to the World Cup. I thought Rooney was brilliant tonight. That headband of his must have magic properties; since he started wearing it, he's been playing the best football he's played for years. :D Townsend impressive as well tonight. One or two worrying lapses at the back, but overall quite pleased with that. England are at the World Cup; I care not what happens next year - getting there is always a good thing. :)

Last edited:
Gerrard and Carrick as a double pivot worked pretty nicely after all. Top performance from England. Townsend very impressive.

Also Leighton Baines is everything I wished Jose Enrique was. What a player and what a ball to assist Rooney!

Very good performance last night. Townsend was quality, he's so direct and is never afraid to take people on, very refreshing to see.

As i said before, just need to get to end of the premier league season with minimal and no injuries, so that ENG can for once get to go into a tournament with the majority or all of its best players available. Then just maybe even if its another quarter-final exit - it would be would the best possible XI & squad.

4-2-3-1 certainly suits England's strengths to core, although my personal favourite set-up for them is still Liverpool 3-4-1-2.

However the performances of Gerrard/Lamps/Carrick in these two games were not the greatest. Many times when Montenegro & Poland countered the age of this trio was exposed defensively. Vs stronger teams in Brazil conditions such a mid-field set-up is too risky.

Obviously Gerrard wont be dropped since he is captain - but Lampard & Carrick can't sit next to him. The younger legs of Wilshere (who i thought Hodgson was brave not to start in either game) has to start really.

Is this end of Ash Cole as a starter now?. Damn i don't know how you can drop Baines now.

I don't think is an exaggeration to say maybe he is the most complete left-back in the world currently. Don't think guys like David Alaba or Jordi Alba cross the ball or as defensively strong as him. Whether United get him or not - he needs to be playing champions league football by January.

Would still start Walcott when fit - but in Walcott, Towsend, The Ox - ENG have 3 guys who once fit will be very key to ENG attacks in Brazil.

Slowly but surely the Cahill/Jagielka partnership is get more solid. They will never be as secure as Terry/Ferdinand or Campbell/Adams at their peaks - but ENG have to deal with them.

Will be keeping an eye on Ravel Morrison between now & the end of the season - England will need more younger mid-fielder of the Wilshere/Barkley ilk. Morrison is showing those signs.

Upcoming friendlies versus Germany & Argentina is going to be a good test.

Prospective world cup 23:

GK: Hart, Foster, Forster or Ruddy (form permitting)

DEF: Jagielka, Cahill, Jones, Richards, Baines, Johnson, Cole

MID: Gerrard, Wilshere, Carrick, Barkley, Lampard/Morrisson (form permitting), Walcott, Townsend, Alex Ox

STR: Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Defoe, Carroll

If all are fit of course Walker might have to miss out, especially with Smalling, Jones & Richards able to play right-back with solid enough competency. 7 defenders allows an extra attacking player to be picked.

Keeping an eye out for Andy Carroll too, off the bench he could be a handful.

No room for Milner...

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Gerrard Wilshere

Walcott Rooney Welbeck

Sturridge​

Last edited:
Can't believe we actually played some good football

Townsend looks to be a real find, if only we had a similar option on the left, other than the "hardworking Welbeck"

Again he was a big disappointment, I know he was not playing as a striker, but his finishing is awful, surely we must have better options than him?

Someone should let Sturridge wear his Liverpool shirt, then he might remember how to pass to his team, Soooooooo frustrating watching him when he plays like that.

Anyway, a really good performance, which pleased me more than getting to the WC.

Welbeck is so bad, Carroll and Lambert are much better than him, especially Lambert. Smalling is really bad too. I think the kid has a lot of potential, but right now he is awful.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Oxlade-Chamberlain will be ready to start on the left in the World Cup. He was great in pre-season and absolutely outstanding against Aston Villa on the first day. He has grown as a player and has developed his consistency since 11/12 where he was overrated due to a couple of good games. His appearances off the bench at the back-end of last season caused real problems and against Aston Villa and in pre-season his end product looked to be really improved, so he has grown from being just a pace and dribbling merchant.

Once he's back from injury Walcott will have a tough time keeping him out of the Arsenal team.

^^

Bit harsh on Welbeck. It should be under-rated that he is being played out of position either. Both for club & country managers have noticed his speed and defensive acumen makes is fairly unique.

As brilliant as Townsend is, he doesn't do much defensively and given the way England play i think having outlet on the right (Walcott or Townsend) only, while Welbeck on left aiding the left-back defensively is a good balance.

Once Welbeck can improve his goal-scoring acumen from playing wide (because sadly he might not get to play center forward a lot) - he will be the perfect left sided player for England in Brazil and going forward.

why don't they just play walcott (or townsend) on the left? half the teams in the world play right sided players on the left that cut inside. rooney is such a perfect foil for the false 9 style centre forward that's necessary for this to work so it seems obvious.

World Cup 2014: England begin making plans for Brazil with games against Germany and Argentina or Australia at Wembley - International - Football - The Independent

Hmm not sure the FA should be playing friendlies vs Australia potentially or Denmark in March. ENG should be playing as much tough S American opponents as possible i reckon.

Once Argentina is played in November, i'd say Colombia or Chile would be perfect opponents for the March & June friendlies.

Then after the USA friendly, playing Mexico/Costa Rica or Honduras in an afternoon heat match similar to Brazil would be an interesting preparation.

Users who are viewing this thread