England tour of South Africa 09/10

Mike23

Associate Cricketer
England have an uphill battle of defeating the proteas at home and will rely heavily on the South African-born Kevin Pietersen to inflict the most damage.If England are to win the tests it will be an icing on the cake to their ashes victory over Australia.South Africa on the other hand would want to continue their reign at the top.

T20I Series
November 13 - 1st Twenty20I at The Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg
November 15 - 2nd Twenty20I at SuperSport Park, Centurion

ODI Series
November 20 - 1st ODI at The Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg
November 22 - 2nd ODI at SuperSport Park, Centurion
November 27 - 3rd ODI at Newlands, Cape Town
November 29 - 4th ODI at St George's Park, Port Elizabeth
December 04 - 5th ODI at Kingsmead, Durban

Basil D'Oliveira Trophy - Test Series
December 16-20 - 1st Test at SuperSport Park, Centurion
December 26-30 - 2nd Test at Kingsmead, Durban
January 03-07 - 3rd Test at Newlands, Cape Town
January 14-18 - 4th Test at The Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I'm hoping for a changed ODi side and a couple of changes to the Test side as well. It's an 18 man Test squad that goes to South Africa isn't it? If so, I'd take:

1. Andrew Strauss *
2. Alistair Cook
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Jonathan Trott
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Ian Bell
7. Matt Prior +
8. Stuart Broad
9. Graeme Swann/Steve Harmison
10. James Anderson
11. Graham Onions

12. Steve Harmison/Graeme Swann
13. James Foster
14. Joe Denly
15. Ryan Sidebottom
16. Ravi Bopara
17. Adil Rashid
18. Michael Carberry

Pretty much all bases covered there I think. 2 back-up pace bowlers in Harmison and Sidebottom, a back-up spinner in Rashid, a back-up keeper in James Foster, a back-up opener in Denly and 2 back-up middle order batsmen in Bopara and Carberry.

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
People still have faith in Harmison? Wow.

Foster is probably behind Davies and Ambrose in the pecking order, maybe even Mustard for ODIs too.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
:laugh Mustard? You're kidding right? If Mustard gets picked ahead of Foster in ODi cricket then the selectors are morons. I know Foster's behind Ambrose and probably Davies in the pecking order, but it's the team I'd pick. Best keeper in England, and had a decent season with the bat. If we've got Bell batting 6 then I see no reason why Foster couldn't slot in at 7 if Prior gets injured. I just hope we don't go in with Broad at 7 against South Africa.

I don't really have much faith in Harmison, but I think the pitches in South Africa will suit his bowling. We've not got anyone else in County Cricket doing enough to warrant selection either. Harmison's had another decent season and I'd trust him more than Plunkett or Mahmood to perform if needed.

Edit: Just seen that we're getting squads for South Africa from Botham and Hussain. Brilliant. I can't wait to see the dross they're going to have in their squads. Blackwell will get a mention. :laugh

Beefy ftw for picking Foster. Replacing Bell with Carberry is a risk though. Carberry's often struggled to step up on the bigger stage whenever on TV. I'd have him in the squad but not in the first XI.

Eugh, Jones picked by Hussain. Terrible choice. Had a good season with the bat, but he's just not good enough.

Last edited:

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Here is the squad that I would go for:

1. Andrew Strauss (c)
2. Alastair Cook
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Ian Bell
5. Jonathan Trott
6. Matt Prior (wk)
7. Stuart Broad
8. Graeme Swann
9. Jimmy Anderson
10. Ryan Sidebottom
11. Graham Onions

12. Joe Denly
13. Paul Collingwood
14. Ravi Bopara
15. Steven Davies (wk)
16. Adil Rashid
17. Tim Bresnan
18. Chris Woakes

I always feel that five bowlers are needed to take 20 wickets and win test matches and that's our best chance. We've not been able to take 20 wickets even with 5 bowlers at times!

I've gone with Bell, but for me, it's his last chance because I don't think he has the mental strength for test cricket. With Collingwood's form at the moment I would choose Bell just. Collingwood, I would worry about with his weakness outside off-stump against a strong SA attack. Ntini, in particular, would cause him all sorts of problems.

Pietersen, as the best player, has to bat at number 3. There is no point in putting Bell in there where he's constantly failed. I wouldn't move Trott there at the moment since he's new to the side.

I would pick Davies as the back-up wicket-keeper. He's been one of the best wicket-keeper batsmen around the county circuit for about the last 2 years. He could bat at 6 if Prior is unavailable and we could still play 5 bowlers.

Adil Rashid is the back-up spinner. No doubt he's over taken Monty Panesar as the second best spinner in the country and could well play if Broad doesn't perform in SA. Warne has said that Rashid could be the next all-rounder and I'm sure he's close to the final XI.

I've gone for Bresnan and Woakes as the back-up seam bowlers. Bresnan has played against the WI this summer and done quite well, plus his batting and fielding could get him into the squad.
Chris Woakes, I feel is the best young seamer in England. He's bowled well in the last 2 years and he's clearly been on the England radar, with selections in the Lions and Twenty20 squads.

I'm afraid that Steve Harmison has got to be left out. His performances since 2006 haven't been up to standard and he's looks mentally tired of international cricket to me. It's time for England to let him go and look at others.

Criticise away!

P

pcfan123

The bowling is going to have to come to the party. Broad really has to step it up now. Will be interesting to see how the pitches go in the CT, get a taste of whats to come.

Have to say though, think we are in for a hiding, a fitting scenario considering we just won the Ashes.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Chris Woakes, I feel is the best young seamer in England. He's bowled well in the last 2 years and he's clearly been on the England radar, with selections in the Lions and Twenty20 squads.

I'm not convinced with Woakes yet. He started off the season incredibly well, but tailed off towards the middle and end of the season iirc. If you wanted to pick a young bowler for the sake of picking a young bowler then I feel that Luke Fletcher of Notts would be a better option. Has 26 wickets at 28 in the 1st Division (averaged 26 this season), and has more pace than Woakes. He's tall, pretty accurate, has a decent action and hits the pitch hard. Also has good changes of pace if the wicket suits and I think would do a better job than Woakes.

As for the ODi squad, I'd go for:

1. Andrew Strauss
2. Steven Davies
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Jonathan Trott
5. Eoin Morgan
6. Paul Collingwood
7. Luke Wright (Flintoff won't be fit)
8. Stuart Broad
9. Graeme Swann
10. James Anderson
11. Graham Onions

12. Ed Joyce
13. Tim Bresnan
14. Adil Rashid
15. Alex Hales
16. James Foster

I'm not particularly keen on Onions in ODi cricket, but he bowled decently in his debut, and he looked a heck of alot better than Sidebottom, who never looked like he was going to get a wicket. He should do well on the pitches in SA as well. I didn't really want to pick Collingwood either, but just so long as Morgan's batting ahead of him I'm not too fussed. Hales gets in on raw potential, definitely seen something in him. Has to be worth a go.

Last edited:

mdoggie

Club Cricketer
1. Andrew Strauss *
2. Alistair Cook
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Jonathan Trott

Nice top order for a English tour to South Africa, includes one whole born englishmen.

It will be intresting whether the selectors choose Harris or Tahir as the spinner. Tahur looks far dangerous but I guess Harris has a sense of security. Also we have seen what Tahir can do to English batsman in county cricket so we know he is capable.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
I'm not convinced with Woakes yet. He started off the season incredibly well, but tailed off towards the middle and end of the season iirc. If you wanted to pick a young bowler for the sake of picking a young bowler then I feel that Luke Fletcher of Notts would be a better option. Has 26 wickets at 28 in the 1st Division (averaged 26 this season), and has more pace than Woakes. He's tall, pretty accurate, has a decent action and hits the pitch hard. Also has good changes of pace if the wicket suits and I think would do a better job than Woakes.

Fletcher has only played 8 FC games and isn't always apart of Notts' first team. He does have potential mind you, but it's too early for him. Woakes has been around a while and would be the next cap off the rank in terms of the next seam bowler.

As for the ODi squad, I'd go for:

1. Andrew Strauss
2. Steven Davies
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Jonathan Trott
5. Eoin Morgan
6. Paul Collingwood
7. Luke Wright (Flintoff won't be fit)
8. Stuart Broad
9. Graeme Swann
10. James Anderson
11. Graham Onions

12. Ed Joyce
13. Tim Bresnan
14. Adil Rashid
15. Alex Hales
16. James Foster

I'm not particularly keen on Onions in ODi cricket, but he bowled decently in his debut, and he looked a heck of alot better than Sidebottom, who never looked like he was going to get a wicket. He should do well on the pitches in SA as well. I didn't really want to pick Collingwood either, but just so long as Morgan's batting ahead of him I'm not too fussed. Hales gets in on raw potential, definitely seen something in him. Has to be worth a go.

That would be the squad I would pick. If Morgan or Collingwood don't perform then I would get Hales in since we need some more power-hitters in the middle order.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Ooo. Completely forgot another possible Test bowling option. Mark Davies. Suffered with injuries for most of last season, but in the games he did play, he did very well, taking 17 wickets at 25. His overall FC record currently reads 249 wickets at 21.32 with 12 5fers and an economy under 3's. May not be quick, but he must surely be in contention?

Sureshot

Executive member
Possible? He's got no chance, good bowler, but England have had enough injury issues over the years to go with yet another crocker! It's a shame, as he probably would play Test cricket if he'd be able to play more than 3 games in a row.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Test squad: Andrew Strauss (Middlesex - captain), Alastair Cook (Essex - vice captain), James Anderson (Lancashire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Paul Collingwood (Durham), Steven Davies (Surrey), Graham Onions (Durham), Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire), Liam Plunkett (Durham), Matt Prior (Sussex), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire), Luke Wright (Sussex)

One-day squad: Andrew Strauss (Middlesex - captain), James Anderson (Lancashire), Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Paul Collingwood (Durham), Alastair Cook (Essex), Joe Denly (Kent), Sajid Mahmood (Lancashire), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Graham Onions (Durham), Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire), Matt Prior (Sussex), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire), Luke Wright (Sussex).

Squads announced for the tour. Overall pretty happy with them. Disappointed to see no Davies or Masceranhas in the ODi squad, and really disappointed to see Prior keep his place, but it's good to see Trott in the ODi set up at last, but Owais Shah is not included for whatever reason. Can't say I agree with Cook in the ODi squad either, would have preferred to have seen Lumb, Joyce or possibly even Hales in place of him. But I suppose it again proves that runs on Sky mean more than consistency throughout a season.

As for the Test squad, I'm delighted to see Pietersen back. I said last year that I thought this would be the year KP kicks on, but injuries have stopped that. So I'm predicting that from this Test series onwards we'll see Pietersen kick on, get that Test average back above 50 and really start to shine as one of the best players in the world. Also good to see Steven Davies in as 2nd keeper in the Test squad. I see him as a far better option than Ambrose, and he should be the 2nd in line until Kieswetter qualifies. Interesting to see Plunkett picked ahead of Harmison as well. Definitely deserves the call-up, had a fine season, and it's clear that Flower wants to move on from Harmison.

Overall, pretty happy. No glaring errors except Prior keeping his place in the ODi squad, a little strange to see Owais Shah dropped from the ODi squad as well after a decent CT, but Trott has always been a better option, so it's good to see him included. The Test squad is very solid as well.

On a side note, I'm happy that Bopara's been left out. Gives him chance to go back to Essex over the winter, work on his game with Graham Gooch and make sure he goes into the County Season in the 1st division of the Championship and makes some big runs. I've still got alot of faith in the guy, and still think he'll be a star, but he did need time at Essex over the winter working on his game.

My expected XI's given these squads (not necessarily the sides I'd go with):

Tests:

Andrew Strauss
Alistair Cook
Ian Bell
Kevin Pietersen
Jonathan Trott
Paul Collingwood
Matt Prior +
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
Jimmy Anderson
Graham Onions

ODi's:

Andrew Strauss
Joe Denly
Kevin Pietersen
Paul Collingwood
Eoin Morgan
Matt Prior +
Luke Wright
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
Jimmy Anderson
Ryan Sidebottom

Obviously Trott should play in the ODi team, but I think they'll just replace Shah with KP. Be much easier if they dropped Prior for Davies and then stuck Davies at the top of the order with Trott in the middle order in place of Denly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread