shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
de8gu1.jpg

Ferguson retires after 23 years in charge
2nd June, 2009

106x0xx.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson retires as manager of United

Football legend Sir Alex Ferguson has made a shock announcement as he has decided to retire as the manager of Manchester United a few days after United's defeat to Spanish champions FC Barcelona in Rome.

Sir Alex, who is 67, told a news conference at the club's ground at Old Trafford: "It's time to make way for a younger man... a track-suited manager". He said the pressures of managing a top-class team were becoming too great for a man of his age and he would now take on the role of football consultant at the club. "United is no longer just a football club," he said, "It is an institution. I feel the demands are beyond one human being."

Sir Alex in his 23 years at the club as manager has reached heights that would ever be reached again . He has won the Premier League eleven times and ended runner ups five times . He also has five FA Cups, two League Cups to his name. Sir Alex has also won the Charity Shield a record eight times. along with two UEFA Champions League winners medals, along with one UEFA Cup Winners Cup, UEFA Super Cup, Intercontinental Cup and FIFA Club World Cup winner's medal.

Most historic moment in his managerial career was the 1999 treble where Manchester United won the Premier League, the FA Cup and also the Champions League in the same season. Sir Alex has produced huge superstars during his time at Manchester United like Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, Roy Keane, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Cristiano Ronaldo to name a few.

The new manager has not yet been chosen but the bookies have tipped former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho as the favourite to take over. The United board will have a board meeting with Sir Alex Ferguson to decide his successor. So who will carry forward the legacy left behind by Sir Alex Ferguson?

Honors with Manchester United

Premier League: 1992?93, 1993?94, 1995?96, 1996?97, 1998?99, 1999?2000, 2000?01, 2002?03, 2006?07, 2007?08, 2008-09
FA Cup: 1989?90, 1993?94, 1995?96, 1998?99, 2003?04
League Cup: 1991?92, 2005?06, 2008-09
FA Charity/Community Shield: 1990, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007
UEFA Champions League: 1998?99, 2007?08
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1990?91
UEFA Super Cup: 1991
Intercontinental Cup: 1999
FIFA Club World Cup: 2008

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
de8gu1.jpg

Star's tribute to legend Ferguson
2nd June, 2009

f41cvm.jpg

Tributes to Sir Alex Ferguson

Some of football's biggest names have paid tribute to Sir Alex Ferguson, who decided to retire from football after being 23 years in charge of one of the world's greatest clubs Manchester United.

Ferguson's achievements during his time with the club have drawn acclaim from past and present players, managers and pundits alike.

"He is the all time best manager for me. I just know he is a special, special man - I knew he would be a success at United - absolutely no danger"
Ex-Man Utd winger Gordon Strachan

"Its a sad day at Manchester United, that he has decided to step down. He has done a great job over here at the club by winning many trophies and I am sure he will be choosing the right man to succeed him."
Man Utd midfielder Paul Scholes

"He was and always be the best manager in the world. He has always supported us and always encouraged us and thats why all his teams have achieved a lot of success. I wish him all the success and happiness for rest of his life."
Man Utd winger Ryan Giggs

"Sir Alex Ferguson is one of those people who will always be remembered, not so much for what he did in his career, for one victory more or less, but for what he knew to give to those who had, like me, the good fortune to know him and walk by his side"
FC Twente manager Steve McClaren

"He has already set the foundations in place at the club with having the players like Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo who have the quality and talent to rule the world and become world's best footballer."
Man Utd captain Gary Neville

"He was a like a father to me. I always saw him as an idol and I have always tried to learn a lot from him. His departure is a very sad moment for me and I wish good luck for life after football."
Man Utd winger Cristiano Ronaldo

"I was extremely sadden when I heard he has decided to quit. He gave his heart and soul to football and was a great ambassador to the game. His remarkable achievements as manager of Aberdeen and then of Manchester United are among the most distinguished in British football history and I am sure no one wll be able to replicate it."
Prime Minister Gordon Brown

"When you think that the average life of a manager is one year and seven days, and somebody has done 23, it is a remarkable achievement. I feel we had some heated times - but time will settle things and there is a respect there now. I congratulate him for what he has achieved at Manchester United."
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger

""He has achieved remarkable things during his time at Manchester United and hats off to him. His boots would be very hard to be filled and I hope they choose the right successor for him at the club."
Inter boss Jose Mourinho

"Sir Alex is one of the most charismatic and successful personalities in the game. I wish him well for the years to come and would like to thank him personally for his tremendous contribution to football"
Fifa president Sepp Blatter

Sir Alex's Career in Photos

39174365.png

15845438.png

13975501.png

49505039.png

D

Dutch

Nice start! What a legend. Whatever you say about the man he has truly been a remarkable manager; just look at those statistics in your first post. Unbelievable!:)

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors

n2gzgk.png

Contenders to succeed Sir Alex

2j0l4pc.jpg
By ANDREW HAIGH
Published: 3rd June, 2009

Its just been a day since Sir Alex Ferguson decided to retire from football, and The Sun Sport brings to you all the possible candidates to succeed him at Old Trafford.

Jose Mourinho – The so called "Special One" is now at Inter Milan and no doubt sees that as his home for the foreseeable future. But Mourinho is on record as stating he would love to coach in English football again, and so far in Italy he has made far more enemies than friends. The ex-Chelsea manager is highly rated in England and the directors at Old Trafford would know they were hiring a winner if they brought him in. However, the question mark is not over his performance, more his temperament. Mourinho is just as capable of firing criticism at his club’s owners as anyone else, and how the Glazers would react to that remains to be seen.

Laurent Blanc - The former Manchester United defender is a strong contender to replace his former boss Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford. Blanc has been highly successful as a manager since his appointment at Bordeaux in 2007. He guided the french side to win the Ligue 1 and Coupe de la Ligue in 2009 which also means automatic qualification to Champions League for the current season. But his inexperience in English football could be used against him. If he was to be appointed, he would go as a popular appointment with the United faithful as well as the players.

Steve Bruce - Bruce is battle hardened, there is no doubt about that. Cut him open and he would also read Manchester United all the way through. After relegation with Birmingham Bruce did not jump ship, instead he navigated the choppy waters of the Championship and got them back up. Now with Wigan he is moulding a team to compete in the top league on limited resources. Bruce would give United 100% commitment, but probably needs to work some sort of miracle with Wigan to strengthen his case (an FA Cup would do). But even so, European experience is one thing he lacks. Probably a popular appointment with the United faithful however.

Martin O’Neill – The current Aston Villa boss has long been respected by most of England’s top clubs, and even though he is enjoying life at Villa Park, he would surely not turn down an invitation to lead United. O’Neill has enhanced his reputation with every appointment, and again now at Villa he is working wonders. Breaking into the top four will be difficult but doing so would further confirm his quality. A question mark against the Northern Irishman may be his style of football which some have labelled as direct. Indeed O’Neill loves wingers to race to the by-line to supply giant forwards. With the Old Trafford faithful used to a slick passing game this may not go down too well. Unlike the other British candidates though O’Neill possesses Champions League experience.

Sven Goran-Eriksson – Eriksson was regarded as the front runner to succeed Ferguson when the Scot talked of going in the 2001/02 season. The Swedish former England boss even got as far as meeting United officials. Whilst his stock is not nearly as high now as it was then, he must in the wake of McClaren’s England failure command respect. Eriksson consistently qualified England for all the major tournaments, and never once suffered an early exit. His club CV is also glittering with experience and success in Serie A and the Portuguese Liga. He also demonstrated his skills in the Premier League with Manchester City before his inexplicable sacking. United were amongst the clubs to taste defeat at Eriksson’s hands. The Swede must be a strong contender, if not the most fashionable choice.

Carlos Queiroz – Queiroz is a possible successor with intimate knowledge of Old Trafford. Having worked as Ferguson’s assistant he would be seen as the continuation candidate. Already well respected by the players, credited for improving United’s tactics, ultimately culminating in the European Cup win in 2008, Queiroz appointment would carry Ferguson’s blessing. A worry would be Queiroz’s stint at Real Madrid where he took, ended up sacked after finishing 4th in La Liga.

Pep Guardiola - The FC Barcelona boss is another winner, and with such a fantastic record in the Champions League as well as in the Spanish League, he would surely come under consideration from United. He is used to working with big players such as Messi, Xavi, Eto'o, Iniesta and Henry, commanding their respect and getting them to perform. Tactically he excels, as United have themselves seen first hand in the Champions League. The question mark for Guardiola would be can he handle the Premier League? It’s a big risk to appoint someone with very less managerial experience.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
btn-back-to-top.gif
dy4qd5.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
de8gu1.jpg

Guardiola's agent denies United link
4th June, 2009

20udgft.jpg

Guardiola's agent denies links with United

Pepe Guardiola's agent has sought to put distance between his client and the vacant Manchester United manager's job, by insisting that the Spaniard will honour his contract as Barcelona manager.

Guardiola is among the favourites to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford, who decided to retire from management three days ago after almost 23 years at the club. The Spanish manager reportedly is Sir Alex Ferguson's number one choice to replace him at Old Trafford, the former Barcelona defender had a brilliant first season as Barcelona manager as he won the unprecedented Spanish treble.

Guardiola's contract expires in the summer of 2010 and his agent insists he will honour it. Barcelona will commence their 2009-10 Pre-Season tour of United States against LA Galaxy in 15 days' time. "There's no way Pep will go to Man Utd," said his agent in the Marca. "It's not an option and has never been. Pep is the coach of Barcelona and will stay as long as possible."

Guardiola, though, remains among the frontrunners with most bookmakers, with Jose Mourinho, Laurent Blanc and Steve Bruce also thought to be in the running.

Sven Goran Erikson, who recently was sacked by Mexico national team, had reportedly been in contact with Manchester United over the vacancy, but his agent has denied that the former Manchester City manager is interested in a move back to Manchester.

Athole Still was adamant that his client would not go back to Manchester. "There is no truth whatsoever that there has been contact with Manchester United and there has been no contact with any team other," he told Sky Sports News. "That is the real truth. If there are rumours they are unfounded. If there is anybody that went to make noises to Manchester United, it was not authorised by Sven Goran Eriksson."

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Mere words cannot describe the contribution Sir Alex has made to Manchester United and to football as a whole. I agree that I've not been a fan of his as such, but have immense respect for him and for what he has achieved.

No matter who takes over the job now, the legacy of Manchester United will always be attributed to this man.

Great start and I expected your next story to be on United.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Mere words cannot describe the contribution Sir Alex has made to Manchester United and to football as a whole. I agree that I've not been a fan of his as such, but have immense respect for him and for what he has achieved.

No matter who takes over the job now, the legacy of Manchester United will always be attributed to this man.

Perfect, he has truly been great and its going to be very difficult to fill his boots once he decides to retire in reality.

Great start and I expected your next story to be on United.

I always wanted to do a story on United, as this one could be even bigger and better than Liverpool..;)

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
de8gu1.jpg

Keane: It would be very hard to reject United
6th June, 2009

154krh1.jpg

Roy Keane would be happy to take United job

Roy Keane is a surprise name on the list of potential candidates to become Manchester United manager, having been sounded out for the job shortly after Sir Alex Ferguson had decided to retire as manager of the club on Monday.

The former Sunderland manager and Manchester United midfielder, who has been out of work for the past six months, is understood to have had indirect contact with representatives of United, and believes he is now among "four or five" names who are being considered.

However, while Keane would be interested in the job, he is well aware of the likely competition. "It would be hard to refuse Man United, unless I stop to be a manager," Keane told the England-based radio station. "I want to return to coaching. I needed to rest, because I had no break between my player's career and manager career. I feel capable of doing good things.

"I am flattered to be a possibility. They are a very big club - that I know. We will see in the next few days how it goes. Four of five managers are in the list, I am part of them. We speak about Marcello Lippi as well, but he does not speak English and also he works for Italy. All the famous managers who are free can interest them."

As a player, Keane enjoyed a remarkable career, with Manchester United winning seven Premier League, four FA Cup, and one UEFA Champions League title. He was also part of the Manchester United team that won the English treble in 1999. In management, he won the Coca-Cola Championship title which promoted Sunderland to the Premier League and also ensured their Premier League status for another season before resigning in December last year after some poor results.

Other potential candidates began positioning themselves yesterday. Frank Rijkaard is believed to have cancelled a planned trip to San Francisco, and his spokesman indicated his potential interest when he said the Dutchman was considering a break from football unless an opportunity arose that matched his ambition.

Of the other candidates, Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill would not welcome contact or negotiations as signed a new deal at the end of last season, while Barcelona coach Pep Gaudriola has again distanced himself from the job.

Reports in Italy suggest that, the former Chelsea manager and the self proclaimed "Special One" is eager to return back to England and is also ready to quit the Inter Milan job to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
de8gu1.jpg

Blanc's denial puts Mourinho back in frame
8th June, 2009

2ai1zpf.jpg

Laurent Blanc has ruled himself out of the running for the United job

Laurent Blanc last night insisted he is not about to leave Bordeaux for the vacant job of Manchester United manager after a day of frenzied discussion about his future.

The Frenchman was also moved to deny he had met the Manchester United chief executive, David Gill, in Paris on Monday as the shutters went up at both clubs and strongly worded statements were issued.

Manchester United will now concentrate their efforts on other candidates, with Inter Milan's Jose Mourinho to the fore and David Moyes of Everton well regarded at Old Trafford. Roberto Mancini is also highly thought of but Manchester City's owners, were last night confident of landing the Italian.

Blanc said yesterday: "There haven't been contacts with Manchester United. I stay at Bordeaux for sure." Yet it was difficult to escape the feeling that Manchester United had been spurned. It was reported at the beginning of last week that Gill had spoken to Blanc in Lyon, ostensibly to canvass his opinions on potential managerial candidates. There followed Bordeaux's claim at the weekend that Manchester United had requested permission to speak to Blanc, which is hotly contested at Old Trafford, and then came the rumours yesterday of the Paris rendezvous.

"We will continue with him [Blanc] for a long time because he and the club are on the same wavelength," said Jean-Louis Triaud. "Our relationship has been ideal since the first day."

Jean-Louis Triaud had made light of Manchester United's interest in Blanc by joking that they could have him if Cristiano Ronaldo, the Manchester United winger - linked strongly with a move to Real Madrid - could move in the opposite direction. Behind the scenes, though, Jean-Louis Triaud might have worried that the ground was being prepared for Blanc to listen to Manchester United. There was talk in Bordeaux yesterday afternoon of Didier Deschamps, the former Juventus manager, taking charge at Stade Chaban Delmas.

Blanc, who has won the Ligue 1 and Coupe de la Ligue as the manager of Bordeaux, has a contract with them until 2011 but he ticked the boxes for Manchester United. Gill wants an on-field tactician and a man who can play attractive football. Laurent Blanc though a defender during his playing career is considered to be the most attack-minded of the top French coaches.

Since parting company with Sir Alex Ferguson on last Monday, Manchester United have maintained a supreme confidence that the search for his successor is comfortably in hand. A series of high-profile candidates have been under consideration, notably Jose Mourinho, Sven-Goran Eriksson, Moyes, Martin O'Neill, Pep Guardiola, Frank Rijkaard and Roy Keane only for several to have fallen by the wayside.

Guardiola, the coach of Barcelona, who guided his team to the unprecedented Spanish treble, has strongly maintained that he intends to honour his contract which ends next year, while Eriksson, who was appointed as Nots County's director of football yesterday, was undermined by his having turned down Manchester United twice previously. Mancini is locked in negotiations with Manchester City owners over his salary as he is set to replace Hughes at the Eastlands, while Rijkaard, who was dismissed by Barcelona last season, is believed close to become the next manager of Turkish side Galatasaray.

Manchester United said that they were "extremely happy [at] how our search is progressing". Their statement continued: "Manchester United Football Club has not reached agreement with any individual to become manager, nor have we sought permission from any organisation to talk to their manager."

Paris appears to be a popular city for high-powered football men as last Friday, Massimo Moratti, the Internazionale owner, met Jose Mourinho there to discuss the objectives for the next season. Jean-Louis Triaud, though, said that Blanc had given him assurances that he had not met Gill at the Four Seasons hotel in the French capital.

"I can confirm that he [Blanc] was in Paris on Monday but not to meet Gill," said Jean-Louis Triaud. "That is something he has denied expressly. He was in Paris on his own business. Blanc is coach of Bordeaux and will continue to be so."

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
manutd1.jpg
manutd2q.jpg

Manchester United Pre-Season Transfers 2009-10
10th June, 2009

zvvrph.jpg

Manchester United have allowed their star player Cristiano Ronaldo to join his dream club Real Madrid for a world record fee, at the same time the Red Devils have completed the signing of Michael Owen, Antoni Valencia and Gabriel Obertan.

In:
Antonio Valencia - ?17m (Wigan Athletic)
Michael Owen - Free (Newcastle United)
Gabriel Obertan - ?3m (Bordeaux)

Out:
Cristiano Ronaldo - ?80m (Real Madrid)
Lee Martin - Undisclosed (Ipswich Town)
Fraizer Campbell - ?3.5m (Sunderland)
Ricard Eckersley - Compensation (Burnely)
Manucho - Undiclosed (Real Valladolid)
Rodrigo Possebon - Loan (Barga)
Danny Simpson - Loan (Newcastle United)
Daniel Drinkwater - Loan (Huddersfield Town)
Tom Heaton - Loan (Queens Park Rangers)
Tom Cleverley - Loan (Watford)
Craig Cathcart - Loan (Watford)
David Gray - Loan (Plymouth)
James Chester - Loan (Plymouth)
Ben Amos - Loan (Peterborough United)
Febian Brandy - Loan (Gillingham)

manudt3.jpg
manutd4.jpg

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Excellent start to a new story,I am never been a great soccer fan but still how much I know about Sir Alex,He was a great manager for Man U.
His retirement must not be a easy a decision for himself as well as for Man U.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
de8gu1.jpg

Rio: Jose the right man
12th June, 2009

f06qsh.jpg

Rio Ferdinand says Jose Mourinho is the right man to succeed Sir Alex

Rio Ferdinand has given the strongest hint yet that Jose Mourinho will be the right man to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

Ferdinand, who is United's third choice skipper after Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs, cited Mourinho's 'ego' as the reason he could cope with the hottest seat in football at Old Trafford. The England star is the first current United player to talk openly about the succession to Ferguson, who decided to hang up his coat, a couple of days after Manchester United lost to FC Barcelona in the Champions League final.

Ferdinand's comments put him in direct competition with United legends Sir Bobby Charlton and Bryan Robson, who earlier had both warned against luring Mourinho to Old Trafford. Ferdinand, said the Special One was an obvious choice to be his successor.

"There are very few people who could take over," said Ferdinand in an interview in GQ magazine out this Thursday. "If you're talking about someone with the ego and personality to do it, then Jose Mourinho is the name that jumps out at you. Sir Alex was phenomenal. He was a winner, full stop. He can still do the hairdryer. I've seen players turn pink and black guys turn white. It's not pretty, it is unbelievable!"

Ferdinand also added: "Jose Mourinho has the hunger for success that even the club and its supporters have. He is the man with a big personality. There are big shoes to be filled and huge expectations at the this club which I feel he can do it."

Ferdinand's call for Mourinho might bring about some consternation within the corridors of power at Old Trafford. But Robson warned that Mourinho's defensive style at Chelsea may not win him friends at United.

"Manchester United aren't just a club who only want to win things," said the former United captain. "The fans demand that success is achieved by playing the Manchester United way. Attacking football is a vital part of the club's heritage. For me, Jose Mourinho is too cautious in his approach to the game to be manager."

Charlton has also questioned whether he would appreciate United's fine tradition of bringing through young players. "I would hate for anyone to take this the wrong way but I don't see him (Mourinho) here," he said. "He's got a talent but maybe if he ever came here the philosophy of youth football might never be the same again."

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
de8gu1.jpg

Jose drops United hint
14th June, 2009

2my13qf.jpg

Jose Mourinho wants England return

Jose Mourinho admits that he badly misses English football and if he leaves Italy he would return to England and manage in the Premier League.

The Internazionale manager, who is out of contract at the end 2010, has been strongly linked with the vacant managerial position at Manchester United. The Red Devils are reported to have already contacted his current employers in regards to his availability and are keen to get a new man in place as soon as possible.

The Premier League outfit have already missed out on Roberto Mancini, who joined Manchester City, and were rebuffed in their attempts to lure Laurent Blanc from Ligue 1 champions Bordeaux.

Two time Premier League winner with Chelsea, Jose Mourinho would appear to be of the calibre required by the Glazers to fill the void at Old Trafford and, he did not refuse to admit an interest to manage Manchester United. The Portuguese also did insinuate that he would be open to the prospect.

"I have a contract with Internazionale which I honour and respect and we will see what happens in the future," said Mourinho. "I badly miss England and the Premier League, if I have to leave Italy I will return back to England to manage a Premier League side."

Recently departed Manchester City Mark Hughes, ex-Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari and Italy chief Marcello Lippi are all still in the frame for the Manchester United job, but Mourinho is thought to be top of the Red Devils' wish-list.

Users who are viewing this thread