Flintoff rejects England contract

rocky_g

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Flintoff rejects England contract

Andrew Flintoff has rejected the offer of an England incremental contract, the all-rounder announced on Tuesday in a move that effectively saw him become a freelance player.

The 31-year-old, who retired from Test cricket after England's Ashes triumph last month and who is currently sidelined with a knee injury, said his decision would help him in his goal to become the best one-day international player in the world by giving him greater global experience.

While stressing he remained committed to both Lancashire and England, Flintoff said in a statement on his own website: "I said when I retired from Test cricket my ambition was to become the best one-day and Twenty20 player in the world and playing in all these different countries can only help."

Pace bowler Flintoff and hard-hitting batsman was only available for an England incremental contract, worth some 30,000 pounds, rather than the more lucrative central contract because of his retirement from Test cricket.

An England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) spokesman told reporters here at Trent Bridge, where England were playing the fifth one-day international against Australia: "We have only just received the statement so we need some time to digest it properly and consider where the ECB stands before making a considered response."

Flintoff made the decision to turn down the England offer after consultation with his agent Andrew Chandler, best known for looking after top golfers including England's Lee Westwood.

Flintoff has reportedly been the target of interest from South Australia and Northerns in South Africa.

"I've been very lucky playing for England for the past 11 years and I've sampled different countries, but I've always wanted the opportunity to play more in these places, get to know them and the way they go about their cricket," Flintoff said.

Full read Flintoff rejects England contract: Cricket Next

Sureshot

Executive member
Thanks for the loyalty Fred, who's effectively said, "I'll play for England when I'm free."

I've got no interest in seeing him play for us again, we should move on and let players who want to play for England, play for England. A complete lack of loyalty shown to a board who gave and saved his career through several difficult decisions.

Bye Freddie, thanks for what you've done, but please take yourself elsewhere. :)

rocky_g

International Cricketer
Thanks for the loyalty Fred, who's effectively said, "I'll play for England when I'm free."

I've got no interest in seeing him play for us again, we should move on and let players who want to play for England, play for England. A complete lack of loyalty shown to a board who gave and saved his career through several difficult decisions.

Bye Freddie, thanks for what you've done, but please take yourself elsewhere. :)

Believe it or not but without KP and Freddie england team is boring. ;)

D

Dutch

I think Freddie is succumbing to becoming a knee-jerk! Reaction? :)

P

pcfan123

Agree with SureShot here, this is tantamount to spitting in our faces and then taking our money for his rehab.

What is the point of having him around in the limited overs game anyways? We should be using the limited overs as testing grounds and stepping stones for those who want to play Test cricket for England.

No point in dragging along someone who will run away from the team at the first sign of some easy cash.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors

That't not quite true, you don't know if he has actually done that untill England pick him to play and he says Yes or No. As he said, if he has signed the contract the ECB would have had full control over him and being a big adult he doesn't feel like he needs to be told when he needs to take a rest.
He has every right not to sign a contract knowing that he still can get picked on his performances, i.e Denly & Morgan

P

pcfan123

Believe it or not but without KP and Freddie england team is boring. ;)

yes maybe 4 years ago, but we won the Ashes without any significant contribution from KP, and there is no shortage of seamers in England right now. We will do just fine with Fred, hope KP is back for SA though

D

Deleted member 11215

I see no harm in him doing this, he's given his heart and soul for England for years now and played with great pain for the last year or two so to me he's served his debt to us. My theory is he's been advised he's not got long left in cricket even just playing one day and 20/20 cricket so he's trying to get some money to fall back on.

Sureshot

Executive member
That't not quite true, you don't know if he has actually done that untill England pick him to play and he says Yes or No. As he said, if he has signed the contract the ECB would have had full control over him and being a big adult he doesn't feel like he needs to be told when he needs to take a rest.
He has every right not to sign a contract knowing that he still can get picked on his performances, i.e Denly & Morgan

"I've been very lucky playing for England for the past 11 years and I've sampled different countries, but I've always wanted the opportunity to play more in these places, get to know them and the way they go about their cricket," Flintoff said.

Most important part of the statement.

He will be more injury prone as he gets on. Very influential player, but we have some exciting all-rounders around and I think we should be focusing on creating and introducing the next Flintoff in to the side. I'd also say that he's been less effective for us in the last couple of years, being out of the side more often than not doesn't help.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
He's not giving up playing for England to play abroad. He's just making sure he can play the entire IPL without having the ECB having control over him. I don't see a problem with it. If he ends up rejecting England call-up to play for Chennai then I see a problem, but until then I don't mind him being a free-lance cricketer.

Sureshot

Executive member
I see no harm in him doing this, he's given his heart and soul for England for years now and played with great pain for the last year or two so to me he's served his debt to us. My theory is he's been advised he's not got long left in cricket even just playing one day and 20/20 cricket so he's trying to get some money to fall back on.

Flintoff needs money to fall back on? :laugh

Users who are viewing this thread