NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
People calling Tests to be scraped have not seen the amount of crowds its pulling the last 6-7 years. Test cricket has not been as great as it is right now. Keep ODI's to world cup, stop the bilateral tours and keep it only for test matches, play a 3-4-5 team T20 series or have Asia Cup, Euro Cup, North American Cup, etc.

Once international cricket reduces by 10%, it will go back to what people want.

noducksallowed

Club Captain
OP wants all test teams to play each other but is ok for India and Pakistan not to play each other...not sure if we have the same meaning of "all" :tongue:

Back to the topic at hand, I think the WTC has been a great way of adding relevance to test series but there needs to be the aforementioned pre-requisite for all the teams to play each other. I think there's also a need for some jeopardy and that should come in the form of two divisions, 4 teams each, with the lowest ranked division 2 team falling out into a "play-off" league and having to work their way back in. For example, using the current test teams:

Div 1
  1. India
  2. Australia
  3. England
  4. South Africa
All teams must play each other home and away, with a minimum of 3 tests per series.
Team with the lowest points/percentage is relegated to Div 2.
The top two ranked team will play the WTC final at a neutral venue.

Div 2
  1. New Zealand
  2. Pakistan
  3. Sri Lanka
  4. West Indies
All teams must play each other home and away, with a minimum of 2 tests per series.
Team with the lowest points/percentage is promoted to Div 2.
Lowest ranked team drops into the play-off

Play-off league
  • Bangladesh
  • Zimbabwe
  • Afghanistan
  • Ireland
The team which is relegated from Div 2 joins and each team must play each other home and away in a minimum of 1 test series.
The top two ranked teams must then play each other in a one-off test at a neutral venue/same menu as the WTC final. The winner then is promoted into Div 2.

The play-off league imo is a way to grow the game away from traditional cricket powers and add relevance to lower ranked teams playing each other. Plus these teams are likely to product competitive games.

MrDependable

County Cricketer
There was a "ODI Championship", better known as the Super League, and its second division was League 2. Had a third division called Challenge League which was played in List A format (no ODI status).

noducksallowed

Club Captain
There was a "ODI Championship", better known as the Super League, and its second division was League 2. Had a third division called Challenge League which was played in List A format (no ODI status).

I remember that, this was very recent but it wasn't really a championship and more of a means to sort out qualification for the World Cup if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, not relevant to the test format as we only have a recently included championship and final. I think it adds much needed context to the test format but just needs some stakes for anyone not ranked 1 or 2.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I remember that, this was very recent but it wasn't really a championship and more of a means to sort out qualification for the World Cup if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, not relevant to the test format as we only have a recently included championship and final. I think it adds much needed context to the test format but just needs some stakes for anyone not ranked 1 or 2.
The Super League and the WTC are just pretend tournaments.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The Super League sure...it was actually more about WC qualification.

But why is the WTC pretend?
Like the Super League is based purely on the FTP, so the structure is an afterthought. You can have a match at then, call it a final, have a trophy but doesn't make it seem legit.

Also, three eligible teams aren't allowed to play, or even qualify to play in it. Not because of how good they are, but because they can't afford to host or aren't profitable guests to host.

Hilmens

School Cricketer
Make me ICC Chairman- I did have a rather interesting thread over it, a few months ago! :laughter:

Users who are viewing this thread