ICC News: Restructuring the ICC, BCCI Influence & more

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Aren't FIFA and NFL rife with corruption, scandals and controversies ? Especially FIFA - ranging from mismanagement at the last World Cup to misappropriation of funds and match fixing (Italian football)

I know I am going to sound like I am in bed with the ICC again ;), but I actually see things getting better in some respects over the last few years: Match fixing is being acknowledged and tackled, Players are feeling a lot more comfortable about reporting approaches from bookies, Chucking rules have gotten stricter

There is a shytload of work still to be done and the system is far from efficient, but I don't see it as bad as some people do :)

I've never once said FIFA and so on aren't corrupt, but they are not as corrupt as cricket as a global game. Which other sport has it's powers and revenue shared 3 ways and whatever is left over is given over as scraps to the rest?

The leading domestic league in cricket is the IPL and every year we hear about new convictions, new allegations, player and official corruption on a scale not seen in the BPL or any other major football league for that matter.
But if you want to keep denying it, that's fine by me.

grkrama

National Board President
there aren't nations bringing in their own laws and promoting their players above others.

Ferrari mclaren. also most rule changes stem from MCC i guess with input form ECB than bcci,ca, bcci rarely gets involved with game rules, only thing is opposing drs which is whole new topic that has some dedicated threads here. player promotion is more dependent on the player itself than the boards how they play and the kind of innings they play.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
@War

Been doing some nosing around and I have a hunch as to why the BCCI is clearly targeting SP Narine. I am sure you have heard of the name Subhash Chandra, one of his companies, Zee network has recently acquired the services of the Kolkata Knight Riders owner Shah Rukh Khan to host one of their primetime live shows.

Subhash Chandra as we all know has recently been linked to the possible financing of a separatist/rebel cricket league/administration/governing body and has been involved in the rebel ICL in '07. So what other way to send a message to Mr. Chandra than take out the KKR strike bowler. Sources are also indicating a possible breakaway of some of the IPL franchise to this 'new league'.

Personally I have maintained that Narine has always been a suspect bowler but he was protected by the BCCI all these years, and now he finds himself in the middle of a war, but to each his own you live by the sword you die by the sword.

To all naysayers come good, don't hunt what you cant eat.

Hmm interesting hunch, will monitor the dynamics of it all to see if it makes sense and run some checks with India cricket media I know to see what they think of theory.

War

Chairman of Selectors

Good article. Interesting topic to do some old history digging on.

does greedy always mean not paying players, ECB and CA guys are smarter[in a crooked way ] they wont get dragged into petty scrabbles over player money, intead cut off free to air tv make deals with the devil, what was that guy who landed from helicopter in the centre pitch of hallowed lords ground with a suitcase of money then got jailed, or barring press without cutting a deal with them CA etc..if that doesn't equate greediness for money i dont know may be as you say CA and ECB are saints ofcourse

The optics of Stanford flying in with his helicopter on Lords pitch to meet ECB is always thrown at them. But ECB don't control british airspace, they could't stop Stanford who was a billionaire from doing that. Essentially all the ECB were doing (something they trying to do now still with 18 counties to please) was discussing with a potential investor for the T20 domestic competition, who wanted to invest.

ECB alongside MCC have always been at loggerheads with BCCI trying to protect world cricket until Giles Clarke sold out to form Big Three as David Hopps described in this excellent article - Giles Clarke on verge of diplomatic triumph | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Yes money problems with players is not the only way a board can show greed. Indeed from the ECB case that free-to-air thing is big issue now that needs changing so more people can afford to watch cricket. You could throw in the ticket pricing for cricket which is caused by system set-up around 2000 where the ECB started making counties bid to host tests.

These things need adjusting. But to ECB defense these changes had to be made coming off the dark 90s to get board money to help invest in team & for majority of period since 2000 England have been successful. Winning their first global limited overs title, most Ashes series wins in 15 year period arguably since before WW2, being ranked # 1 test team (although faulty ranking system exaggerated this and wining test in the three major S Continent zones for the first time since the 80s & 70s (PAK & IND).

Santander

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
All of the new proposed rules are fine by me except having more free hits. I don't mind 2 run no balls, but free hits take something away from the game, imo.

War

Chairman of Selectors
All of the new proposed rules are fine by me except having more free hits. I don't mind 2 run no balls, but free hits take something away from the game, imo.

I guess this free-hit rule balances out in favour of batsmen when you consider other recommendation will give bowlers more help. At the end of the day, its all about creating conditions that will have an even balance between bat & ball.

Santander

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
At the end of the day, its all about creating conditions that will have an even balance between bat & ball.
Which is currently non-existent in limited-overs cricket, so batsmen don't need any favours at all from the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread