Cricket Academy: Improving player creation and skilling

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I’ve been very occasional poster and long time lurker, so I hope I am not needlessly posting an old idea.

First off, I love this game. My mate who doesn't like cricket finds it bizarre whenever he asks what I’ve been playing and I always say ‘Bradman. It’s just ace.’

I love the academy and the community involvement in this aspect of the game. But when it comes to ‘skilling’ a player this comes down to an individuals opinion. I’ve done a lot of editing myself but when I see the @blockerdave thread it makes me wonder if skills and attributes have just too much bearing on the game, thus making it completely different even if two people are playing on Veteran when they use players that have been skilled differently. I'd love to get more knicks to slips but if this can only be done through tweaking skills it seems more unsatisfactory, although I commend the efforts to do it! I have faith in Big Ant to make this happen through improvements to the game rather than making batsmen worse or bowlers better.

So, would a more effective way of determining the ability of a player to be through the use of their stats rather than in skills?

Using Alistair Cook as an example.

He averages just under 47 in Test Cricket. So when you play test matches on the game wouldn’t it make sense that he averages something like that, no matter what the level the game is played on? With some obvious variation of maybe 3 or 4 up or down.

With that as a start I’d just remove the skill setting element of player creation and keep it more cosmetic. The look of a player is created independently and people can choose whichever they want, but with the option of adding options that determine the playing style, similar to the mentality option each batsmen has. For example, instead of setting specific skills as you do at the moment you choose three of those as ‘strengths’ and this then determines the how the player makes those 47 runs. I’d say Cook’s strengths are ‘Back foot’, ‘Flat Bat’ and ‘On side’. People might disagree but one way around this would be to replace 'Get Best' with 'Get average'

An average of all versions of the linked players strengths could be downloaded alongside the particular player - so if 85% of the Cooks on the academy are Back Foot, Flat Bat and On side - that’s what you get, based on a majority opinion of editors.

For bowlers I’d like to see an option similar to the mentality added. This could be categories that include ‘Strike bowler’, ‘Precise’ (A Glenn McGrath type), ‘Orthodox spinner’, ’Mystery spinner’ and ‘Part-timer’ (this could help in getting the AI to bowl players that do bowl occasionally but don’t have particularly high stats).

I don’t know if stats have any bearing upon the ability. Perhaps this is something only @BigAntStudios can answer but I feel this could add greater consistency for the players used. I have faith in them to get the game right but I think changing how players are skilled could lead to a more consistent game for everyone.

To enhance the use of stats as being the main determining factor they’d have to be kept up to date, maybe there’s some way this could be done automatically, as a consensus (like with the strengths) or if you’d just have to a person that does this as a day job (either voluntarily or paid by Big Ant - which may have conflicts with licensing, I dunno).

I wanted to get that idea off my chest

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I think having no license there is a limit to how Big Ant can connect their skilling of their AC player to real-life Alastair Cook. Also it's a bit subjective - average averages differ across eras: is Cook really so much better than Gower for instance?

I've become convinced of 2 things - the general translation of skills to gameplay is overpowered: players become too good too soon. Secondly, I believe there won't be a universal set up - everyone will want differences that affect the gameplay in a way that suits them.

The problem has really only got so far because Big Ant haven't engaged regarding skills - how they're supposed to relate to gameplay, or whether Big Ant agree regarding the overpowering. Right now it's not clear whether patch 3 will address the overpowering issue - so there is no point re skilling teams yet - or whether they won't address that, in which we will need to address the skills across the board.

My hunch is that the overpowering won't be addressed by patch 3 as it will be a match engine issue, but that's really just a guess I have pulled out my ass...

grkrama

National Board President
The problem has really only got so far because Big Ant haven't engaged regarding skills

should have gone on a strike :p for these details before creating players when CA was released but guess we were all just too excited for a new cricket game.

Users who are viewing this thread