abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
*still finding a suitable explaination for Binny's inclusion.

I don't understand why aren't they giving a chance to Sehwag.He has put up a decent show in the IPL so far.If they can select a no goer like Binny,Sehwag is better than him.He can bat,bowl some spinning deliveries and fields well too.

I would be the last person advocate Samson, but according to your this Binny ahead of Sehwag makes complete sense. This IPL he has scored more than Sehwag, is the better fielder, can "bowl a bit".

Including either of them makes no sense

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
I've got this feeling that India will get bundled for <200 if England play 4 seamers despite the presence of the likes of Kohli, Puj, et al.

grkrama

National Board President
'I should go for my shots' - Dhoni
MS Dhoni, speaking about his batting, said he felt he should not be conservative during the five-Test series against England.
"For me, what's important is that I have to be far more aggressive. That's something that I have observed. When I play freely, I tend to fare much better than when I try to play like a proper batsman. I think it's something important to back your instinct and not think too much about the situation," Dhoni said.
In his seven Tests in England, Dhoni has scored 429 runs at 39, which is slightly better than his career average of 38.77. "In a set of six to seven batsmen, it's important that I back my instincts and try and score boundaries. That way I will score more runs rather than playing for time. That can be the job of other batsmen but I feel that it's important I should go for the shots."
MSD talking about his batting, before tour thats a new, hope he does it.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-india-2014/content/current/story/754411.html

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
^ I was going to post that quote. It is refreshing to see him talk about his own batting. The most important thing for me was him saying this

"For me, what's important is that I have to be far more aggressive. That's something that I have observed. When I play freely, I tend to fare much better than when I try to play like a proper batsman.

We saw him doing this in New Zeland test series. This is the best way he can play in the test matches. When he tries to be defensive, he usually nicks one to the slip poking outside the off stump. However, whenever he plays with some aggression, he always does well. He scored that double century vs Australia when he played aggressively. I think it's good that he has realized it and I am hoping he can do well this time because he is our most experienced batsman in the squad this time.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Good that Dhoni has realized that (hope not too late). Sehwag with his limited talent had a pretty successful test career because he backed his instincts. If Dhoni can do that, he can still have some success in the test arena before he hangs up his boots. Dhoni comes in most of the time when the new ball is taken, and he tries to defend and invariably gets out. He needs to attack, and if he gets out in that process, so be it.

Hope we see Dhoni implement it during this series. Can help India a lot!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Sai, I get your point, but what makes you come to the conclusion that Viru had "limited talent"

Viru never had the technique to successfully play (or even survive) in testing conditions. If he did survive in testing conditions, it was mostly due to luck. Viru didnt have the game to play it out in test matches for longer periods, in more helpful conditions. That is why, he adopted the aggressive game (he calls it "his natural game"). People who say they will only "play their natural game" mean that they do not have the technique/talent to play the ideal game. Dravid/Tendulkar are examples of that kind of technique/talent where they can bat out tough conditions, prosper/score really well in conditions where its helpful for batsmen, etc. Sehwag can do the latter, but not really the former.

Same with Dhoni!

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
It'll be interesting seeing Kohli and Rahane in the test series, so exciting these two.

AJEEB MUHAMMED

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
There is no point in taking vinay kumar as he is the best run leaker in the world.His economy rate in tests is above 5.50 so no point is there about taking him he should be dropped.Umesh Yadav should be given a chance to play as the seaming wickets at england should highly benefit him.Earlier shami was excellent but now its sad that he has also became a run leaker.Irfan Pathan should be recalled to the England Series as he is the only experienced Fast-Bowling Allrounder.Harbhajan should be taken instead of Ashwin.

lion100lion

International Coach
ravid/Tendulkar are examples of that kind of technique/talent where they can bat out tough conditions, prosper/score really well in conditions where its helpful for batsmen, etc. Sehwag can do the latter, but not really the former.

Same with Dhoni!

Same with Yuvraj, Same with Afridi, Same with Maxwell,
Same with almost all West Indian players,
Same with all T 20 hitters.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I am very, very apprehensive of this tour .. and the place where the English team is right now. They are down and hurt, their captain is completely out of form in batting and out of sorts in captaincy. Almost sounds like an ideal situation for 'roaring back in form' which a lot of teams have done against India :(

I hope our young, new team will buck this awful trend

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Looking positively, this could be the big chance for India to cause some upset and get brownie points (which tends to come whenever subcontinent teams have a good overseas tour). It would still be an upset because even the current England side can beat us fair and square with the kind of bowling attack we have and our batting thinness (in terms of experience and exposure).

Users who are viewing this thread