India Team Discussion

I just wonder - what would have happened if India had won the WC?
All future finals till stadium degrades would happen at NAMO stadium. I am glad we lost, I cannot stand that stadium!

I just wonder - what would have happened if India had won the WC?

We’d have seen the biggest political overshadowing of a sport final since the last century.

All future finals till stadium degrades would happen at NAMO stadium. I am glad we lost, I cannot stand that stadium!

Let’s be honest, they’re extremely likely to milk as many opportunities as possible to schedule more games there for both political and capacity purposes.

Virat and Rohit wouldn't be traveling to the USA later this month.
On the contrary, it would have added more weight towards their inclusion. However, who knows perhaps both would have retired from T20I having won a WC which is what they're after at the moment.
Post automatically merged:

All future finals till stadium degrades would happen at NAMO stadium
Like Bevab said, it is likely to happen come what may.

Btw, Indian coach? Who are we looking at ?

Fleming, Ponting or Gambhir? Inam swinging more towards GG, seeing as he quit active politics and stated he wanted to focus on cricket. Sign of things to come that he was aware of this brewing at the back?

An IPL coach isn't required round the year, hence that statement of his seems to align more with Indian coaching aspirations.

Like Bevab said, it is likely to happen come what may.
I expect them host semi finals of 2026 and 2031 there. Finals seems doubtful at the moment. For 2026, likely they will have the final in either Mumbai or Kolkata

I honestly think Gautam Gambhir is going to be a bad choice at this point of time to be the head coach.

Post this T20 WC, India will surely be in transition and Rohit and Kohli have to be eased out. For that, you need a subdued/man manager kinda person (like Kirsten, Wright). Gambhir’s personality is headstrong. We already know his controversy with Kohli. It’s going to be very tough if Gambhir stays true to his persona.

I’d pick him for the job with a much younger team, 5-6 years down the line. But not now!

I honestly think Gautam Gambhir is going to be a bad choice at this point of time to be the head coach.

Post this T20 WC, India will surely be in transition and Rohit and Kohli have to be eased out. For that, you need a subdued/man manager kinda person (like Kirsten, Wright). Gambhir’s personality is headstrong. We already know his controversy with Kohli. It’s going to be very tough if Gambhir stays true to his persona.

I’d pick him for the job with a much younger team, 5-6 years down the line. But not now!

A headstrong person can ease out non performers. With KKR, we've seen that he hasn't shied away from keeping someone like Nitish Rana (their captain last year) out of the squad. This is the kind of man manager the team needs.

The mere fact that you are alluding towards the need of a subdued personality, is, in itself an admission of how big some individuals are than the game/ than the country. Looking at the options that the BCCI seems to have laid out, other than Fleming, all others seem feisty characters and that, is the need of the hour, for this bunch of spoilt brats. Gambhir, Langer, Ponting, won't take things lying down. Another name I'd throw in the mix be that of Mike Hesson- the man came a close 2nd to Shastri and I do feel he can work wonders with the Indian setup, should any of the other 3 decline.

Last edited:
A headstrong person can ease out non performers. With KKR, we've seen that he hasn't shied away from keeping someone like Nitish Rana (their captain last year) out of the squad. This is the kind of man manager the team needs.

The mere fact that you are alluding towards the need of a subdued personality, is, in itself an admission of how big some individuals are than the game/ than the country. Looking at the options that the BCCI seems to have laid out, other than Fleming, all others seem feisty characters and that, is the need of the hour, for this bunch of spoilt brats. Gambhir, Langer, Ponting, won't take things lying down. Another name I'd throw in the mix be that of Mike Hesson- the man came a close 2nd to Shastri and I do feel he can work wonders with the Indian setup, should any of the other 3 decline.

In an ideal world - Indian cricket would not be so “individual driven” and I’d want that always. However our DNA (majority of it) is in conflict with that ideology. Fiesta coaches or strict taskmasters court lots of controversies and eventually the individual/ player wins. We’ve seen examples of it with Chappell, Kumble.

Ravi Shastri was a “yes man” to the superstars and he survived. I doubt Gambhir will be that! He’ll punch hard at the stars, and they’ll wail and court media drama. Also Gambhir is not a senior to Rohit or Kohli. He’s the same set. I still think a subdued person is the need of the hour.

Users who are viewing this thread