International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Shame that WI haven't selected Hetmyer nor Lewis. Two of WI's best batsmen that they could have in their team right now. Their inclusion would give WI a massive boost for those OD WC qualifiers next year. Not overly convinced by having Brooks or King in their top order/middle order either. Think that Lewis and Mayers would be a pretty good opening pair, Mayers can either be the aggressor up front or play sensibly as well, something that WI miss in their top order. Same goes for Lewis. Probably would go with a lineup like this for next year's WC:

Lewis
Mayers
Hope
Pooran
Hettie
Powell/Shepherd
Holder
Akeal
Motie/Walsh
Seales
Joseph/some wickettaking fast bowler

Think that'd be a decent batting lineup in general barring the fact that's a lot of left handers in the middle. Might be a problem against teams with 1-2 decent offspinners (England, Australia). Hope would be perfect at 3 despite his numbers at the top and allows the rest of the batsmen to play their natural game and play the big shots. Also I think WI should back Powell, seems like the more faith and confidence that's shown within him, the better he'll play, even though there's often times where he gets out due to poor shot selection. Could even bat him at 5 and let Hettie bat 6 given his late overs hitting too. Shepherd could also play in place of him too, showed he can tonk the ball and can bat at 7/8.

The biggest problem for this WI team is that they lack a dependable wicket-taking bowler. Seales looks pretty decent though, would be willing to give him a run. Might need to get everyone of their 6-7 players that can bowl to chip in with wickets here and there. Akeal Hosein has probably been the biggest find for them in the past year or so, a really good option at 8 and as a spinner that controls the middle overs.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Shame that WI haven't selected Hetmyer nor Lewis. Two of WI's best batsmen that they could have in their team right now. Their inclusion would give WI a massive boost for those OD WC qualifiers next year. Not overly convinced by having Brooks or King in their top order/middle order either. Think that Lewis and Mayers would be a pretty good opening pair, Mayers can either be the aggressor up front or play sensibly as well, something that WI miss in their top order. Same goes for Lewis. Probably would go with a lineup like this for next year's WC:

Lewis
Mayers
Hope
Pooran
Hettie
Powell/Shepherd
Holder
Akeal
Motie/Walsh
Seales
Joseph/some wickettaking fast bowler

Think that'd be a decent batting lineup in general barring the fact that's a lot of left handers in the middle. Might be a problem against teams with 1-2 decent offspinners (England, Australia). Hope would be perfect at 3 despite his numbers at the top and allows the rest of the batsmen to play their natural game and play the big shots. Also I think WI should back Powell, seems like the more faith and confidence that's shown within him, the better he'll play, even though there's often times where he gets out due to poor shot selection. Could even bat him at 5 and let Hettie bat 6 given his late overs hitting too. Shepherd could also play in place of him too, showed he can tonk the ball and can bat at 7/8.

The biggest problem for this WI team is that they lack a dependable wicket-taking bowler. Seales looks pretty decent though, would be willing to give him a run. Might need to get everyone of their 6-7 players that can bowl to chip in with wickets here and there. Akeal Hosein has probably been the biggest find for them in the past year or so, a really good option at 8 and as a spinner that controls the middle overs.

Joseph is their best pacer in ODIs right now, he’s the first name on the team sheet as far as I’m concerned. He’s also better than your ‘some wicket-taking fast bowler’ considering that he’s the highest wicket-taker in ODIs amongst full members in this ODI cycle. :p

Seales will come good in time I’m sure but whether he can bring his best next year will still be a question mark. KPaul and Cottrell are the other names that spring to my mind. Neither has really stepped up in this cycle but they’ve got the benefit of experience that Seales painfully lacks at the moment. The kid’s still very raw which does come through on occasion. I’d save him for tests and induct him slowly into the white ball setup but I can see the allure that he brings.

Motie ahead of Walsh for me. Walsh looks painfully below average whenever he is up against any sort of challenge. Agree with you on Hosein being a superb find, he’s very versatile and offers a lot of options.

Holder’s bowling has reverted to fifth/sixth bowler levels in the current cycle for some reason. He’s still worth a spot given his usefulness with the bat but he’s also been much less aggressive in this cycle. In his defense, he’s come in to bat often when the team has collapsed and whilst he has also failed as part of the team on numerous such occasions it is tough to be a slogger under those circumstances. I still think he’s not that good with the bat for a slogger role but he deserves the benefit of the doubt for now. His numbers this year with the ball also seem much better for a fifth bowler. He’s unlikely to be dropped just because of reputation but I’d still be cautious and keep an eye out on his bowling form maintaining and see how he bats when there’s a decent platform built for him.

Shepherd hasn’t really been that effective with the ball for me. I‘m not sure what I’m missing that others seem to see in him. He seems ideal for T20s where you can get by with him as a lower order slogger and a bowler you can extract overs from but in ODIs he seems a bit too… inconsistent with both bat and ball? Would love to be proven wrong though. Then there’s always Odean who had a fiery start to his ODI career. I’d say that these two should be challenging Holder for a spot along with Allen if he can ever get his talent to work rather than Powell.

Hetty has been blackballed for a while on the grounds of fitness. Lewis has had his fair share of issues with fitness too. Them returning will be a huge boost to the side. I think King finally seems to be finding some groove in international cricket. He’s always seemed like someone who has a lot of talent but fails to bring it to the bigger stage, like Reeza for South Africa. Brooks doesn’t have much of a future but I assume he’ll be in the frame till next year. He’s shown that he can bat adequately if needed. Wonder what happened to Sunil Ambris, he always seemed like someone tailor-made for ODIs.

I’d be most concerned about Hope ironically. His playing style just seems ill-suited to ODIs these days and the setup no longer has a bunch of hitters to blame when he’s also a culprit in the losses.
Post automatically merged:

Jeez that was smart from Alzarri. Bowls short to Shreyas continuously and then surprises him with a quick fuller delivery. No wonder @qpeedore was a big fan of him, the lad’s got a very smart brain.

Bevab

Staff Member
Jatin: I've always believed 50s in ODI cricket gives you a match or two but 100s cements your spot. Iyer's 63 and 54 will keep him in the pool but doesn't cement his place. There's a reason Virat's place is still pretty much untouchable in ODIs

Cricbuzz pouring oil on two different raging fires at the same time.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Joseph is their best pacer in ODIs right now, he’s the first name on the team sheet as far as I’m concerned. He’s also better than your ‘some wicket-taking fast bowler’ considering that he’s the highest wicket-taker in ODIs amongst full members in this ODI cycle. :p

Seales will come good in time I’m sure but whether he can bring his best next year will still be a question mark. KPaul and Cottrell are the other names that spring to my mind. Neither has really stepped up in this cycle but they’ve got the benefit of experience that Seales painfully lacks at the moment. The kid’s still very raw which does come through on occasion. I’d save him for tests and induct him slowly into the white ball setup but I can see the allure that he brings.

Motie ahead of Walsh for me. Walsh looks painfully below average whenever he is up against any sort of challenge. Agree with you on Hosein being a superb find, he’s very versatile and offers a lot of options.

Holder’s bowling has reverted to fifth/sixth bowler levels in the current cycle for some reason. He’s still worth a spot given his usefulness with the bat but he’s also been much less aggressive in this cycle. In his defense, he’s come in to bat often when the team has collapsed and whilst he has also failed as part of the team on numerous such occasions it is tough to be a slogger under those circumstances. I still think he’s not that good with the bat for a slogger role but he deserves the benefit of the doubt for now. His numbers this year with the ball also seem much better for a fifth bowler. He’s unlikely to be dropped just because of reputation but I’d still be cautious and keep an eye out on his bowling form maintaining and see how he bats when there’s a decent platform built for him.

Shepherd hasn’t really been that effective with the ball for me. I‘m not sure what I’m missing that others seem to see in him. He seems ideal for T20s where you can get by with him as a lower order slogger and a bowler you can extract overs from but in ODIs he seems a bit too… inconsistent with both bat and ball? Would love to be proven wrong though. Then there’s always Odean who had a fiery start to his ODI career. I’d say that these two should be challenging Holder for a spot along with Allen if he can ever get his talent to work rather than Powell.

Hetty has been blackballed for a while on the grounds of fitness. Lewis has had his fair share of issues with fitness too. Them returning will be a huge boost to the side. I think King finally seems to be finding some groove in international cricket. He’s always seemed like someone who has a lot of talent but fails to bring it to the bigger stage, like Reeza for South Africa. Brooks doesn’t have much of a future but I assume he’ll be in the frame till next year. He’s shown that he can bat adequately if needed. Wonder what happened to Sunil Ambris, he always seemed like someone tailor-made for ODIs.

I’d be most concerned about Hope ironically. His playing style just seems ill-suited to ODIs these days and the setup no longer has a bunch of hitters to blame when he’s also a culprit in the losses.

Jeez that was smart from Alzarri. Bowls short to Shreyas continuously and then surprises him with a quick fuller delivery. No wonder @qpeedore was a big fan of him, the lad’s got a very smart brain.
Joseph looks good in ODIs. He looks much improved in test cricket too in the last few months. He's still only 25.

Bevab

Staff Member
Second bizarre dismissal for us, guess this is just not our day.

Bangladesh managed to whitewash this side, this IPL XI couldn’t even do this. #DhawanOut

Bevab

Staff Member
Alzarri losing the plot here after I praise him all game.

It was all calculated. :spy

Damned scriptwriters working hard to save ODIs after EVIL Stokes and Shastri tried to shove it into the ground.

Bevab

Staff Member
Does Avesh know that the piece of wood he holds is called a cricket bat and not a baseball one that he has to wildly swing everytime?

SMMODS

Panel of Selectors
India
AUS..
Mumbai Indians
CSK
Sydney Sixers
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Axar Patel you beauty yessssssssssss....................................

Users who are viewing this thread