Indian Premier League - General Discussion

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Looks like Mumbai are completely rebuilding or looking to pick up players cheap again

Needed to do it after the previous season. They were left high and dry. Hopefully they would pick up a good bowling attack this time round.
SRH have also released Garg and Shashank Singh. End of an era.
Garg is surprising! But the , SRH has always been surprising with their choices.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Punjab make their first mistake of the 2023 season by releasing Benny Howell.

I’m surprised they retained SRK. Maybe they realised that they don’t have any other useful domestic batters other than the skipper and Jitesh.

I’d like to see them give Prabsimran a good run too. He’s been really good in the SMAT for sometime.

Bevab

Staff Member
Surprised that KKR have retained Chakravarthy. Not a lot of money left in their kitty too to shore up the squad.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I’m surprised they retained SRK. Maybe they realised that they don’t have any other useful domestic batters other than the skipper and Jitesh.

I’d like to see them give Prabsimran a good run too. He’s been really good in the SMAT for sometime.
According to Dan Weston's blog he's no longer involved as an analyst. Their squad seemed very focused on playing a certain way.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them get Curran with 30Cr in the bank.

Bevab

Staff Member
Lucknow released Holder and Chameera. :facepalm Relying on Wood to be fit for an entire season is a massive ask even if Chameera is injury prone himself.
Post automatically merged:

According to Dan Weston's blog he's no longer involved as an analyst. Their squad seemed very focused on playing a certain way.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them get Curran with 30Cr in the bank.

CSK are likely to go heavy for Curran too, they know he’s a fan favourite and that he likes it here. Might just come down to auction dynamics in the end. With Bayliss in there I doubt Weston’s attack philosophy will be missed or a thing of the past.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Lucknow released Holder and Chameera. :facepalm Relying on Wood to be fit for an entire season is a massive ask even if Chameera is injury prone himself.
Post automatically merged:

CSK are likely to go heavy for Curran too, they know he’s a fan favourite and that he likes it here. Might just come down to auction dynamics in the end. With Bayliss in there I doubt Weston’s attack philosophy will be missed or a thing of the past.
SRH has 42! Expect them to go in for Curran, Stokes, Green and end up with Odean Smith.

Bevab

Staff Member
SRH has 42! Expect them to go in for Curran, Stokes, Green and end up with Odean Smith.

SRH actually need a spin all-rounder more than a pace one. They’ve got arguably the best domestic pace attack in terms of variety and depth and can afford to even play all four and still have two young overseas pacers left. Someone like Shadab Khan (if only) would be invaluable in that side.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
SRH actually need a spin all-rounder more than a pace one. They’ve got arguably the best domestic pace attack in terms of variety and depth and can afford to even play all four and still have two young overseas pacers left. Someone like Shadab Khan (if only) would be invaluable in that side.
Shadab Khan would be perfect. I suppose there's Shakib Al Hasan and they do already have Abhishek Sharma. Lord Benny is basically a fast spinner. :yes:

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 13.48.30.png

Trying to think of some names who don't have deals, who might get them if they're in the auction (a bit English-centric):

Sam Curran
Ben Stokes
Cameron Green
Rilee Rossouw - probably the best batter not in the IPL
Harry Brook (although he didn't have a breakthrough innings in the WC which I think would have guaranteed it)
Ben Duckett - after his excellent series in Pakistan
Adil Rashid
Phil Salt
Will Jacks

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Is it just me or has the IPL lost its charm, like all these trades do not excite me at all. Also with all the leagues popping up and playing in 5 equals to playing in IPL monetary wise, I see more and more players wanting to opt out as the IPL schedule is as long as 5 other leagues combines lol! If I was a player I would think, let me earn $100,000 less and play in 3 leagues for 45 days compared to earning $100,000 more and play 450 days of IPL cricket.

If IPL has to survive while growing and being the best league, they need to reduce the schedule, eventually with ICC tournaments every year, it is going to lose its value. We currently have 9 T20 leagues that take place year round. Something has to give and this has to be consolidated somehow! I am not even counting some lesser leagues like MLC that is planned or Super Smash, or Euro T20 Slam or Nepal T20 league.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Indian viewers are the major part in today's Cricket economy... So I don't think IPL will lose his charm or any other league overtake IPL any time soon... Not even ICC tournament...
I am not saying Indian viewers are not major part of Crickets economy. Having said that in the history of sports, some really good sports that are fan driven have lost popularity because of its long schedule. Major League Baseball is the best example. Now I get it, IPL is not a 7 month long season like Baseball and IPL also does not have team play 162 games in a season like Baseball does, but Baseball was really popular and go to sports for Americans. Baseball like Cricket is played in handful countries and just like IPL, MLB was driven by American viewers being major part, now its losing attendance and popularity by 5% every year.

Pumping in money does not equate to being a quality product, IPL has to keep innovating which it has failed to do so, IPL has to keep the pulse of youngsters known, which also I feel they are not doing so.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Rayudu’s still in that CSK squad… oh dear.

CSK needs a good overseas pacer with the exit of both Jordan and Milne. Pathirana still has a long way to go IMO. Wouldn’t surprise me if they were also in the hunt for Curran though, 20Cr left with just 2 overseas spots remaining is overkill.

Disappointed! Could've saved the 6.75c on Rayudu and tried for some other batter. Did CSK worry that they might not easily find a good middle order right handed batsman in the mini auction? I dont think CSK can go that hard on Sam Curran, who is likely to break the bank at the auction and there is SRH and PBKS with hefty purses to go any distance on Curran. And I hope CSK does not go hard on Curran, because with the games returning to Chepauk, we'll be back to spin heavy attack again and we have Theekshana-Moeen-Jadeja-Santner-Solanki.

CSK is getting left-handed heavy in their batting order (Conway, Ali, Dube, Jadeja). With Uthappa retired and Jagadeesan released, we need to find a few right handed replacements and most importantly folks who can bat middle-lower down the order. Maybe a KS Bharat might be a good fit. If they really need a top order player as backup, Vishnu Vinod has been released. And hope CSK play Senapati this season

DJ Bravo getting released was expected since we have Pretorius now. Still we need a proper death bowler to replace Bravo-Jordan. Hope we can try for someone like a Josh Little. And also a 140+ clicks fast bowler to replace Milne. Maybe we would've got some pointers from the SAT20 auction where JSK (CSK's new sister franchise) did some pretty interesting and positive picks. I really wish Fleming attends this auction and also maybe we bring in Prasanna (JSK's analyst for SAT20 league) for the IPL 2023 mini-auction. Prasanna did a pretty good job at the SAT20 auction and he is a hardcore CSK fanatic and is a regular at Ashwin's YouTube channel where both Ashwin and Prasanna literally swoon over CSK :D:clap:cheers

So basically they have him in the nets since the last 2 years and want to pick him in this year's auctions only to play him in 2024?

Doesn't make sense Sai. Even I were to agree on the Jagadeeshan point, that poses another question over Hangargekar. Bana's career would be risked if he were to get into CSK

Fleming did talk about Hangargekar last season where he mentioned that he was raw and needed some time in the nets before being played. On Bana staying in nets that long, you also gotta factor in auction dynamics, where the player was, etc. I completely understand where you're coming from and as a CSK fan, I have also at many times been frustrated with CSK giving too much importance for experience and comfort but I do see signs that they will change that in the coming year(s) as the prime stalwarts are all ready to move on.

Bevab

Staff Member
Shadab Khan would be perfect. I suppose there's Shakib Al Hasan and they do already have Abhishek Sharma. Lord Benny is basically a fast spinner. :yes:

View attachment 272926

Trying to think of some names who don't have deals, who might get them if they're in the auction (a bit English-centric):

Sam Curran
Ben Stokes
Cameron Green
Rilee Rossouw - probably the best batter not in the IPL
Harry Brook (although he didn't have a breakthrough innings in the WC which I think would have guaranteed it)
Ben Duckett - after his excellent series in Pakistan
Adil Rashid
Phil Salt
Will Jacks

An aggressive spin option would be nice. Shakib's a bit iffy.. he's got history with SRH but I'm not sure of how reliable he can be. Abhishek does have some promising spells under his name economy wise but then again the wicket-taking spinner is the problem. They do have Sundar already for that role (assuming he's fit). Other than pure spinners like Rashid, Zampa and Shamsi I don't think there's anyone else they can take a punt on. Lord Benny is unlikely to earn a deal in this auction I think... too many quality overseas prospects have come up and with the rising talk of wanting more focus on cricketers from other nations than the bigger ones.. I expect the likes of Raza, Muzurabani, Little etc to attract some attention.

I don't think Duckett, Rashid (overseas spinners seldom do) and Salt will get deals. Overseas openers seldom get deals unless they are peak T20 material with potential to improve or world class. Having said that I now remember that Duckett did play in the middle order vs Pakistan and dealt with spinners superbly.. maybe that sways the mind of an analytics driven franchise.... still think he's too niche to get a deal unless it's a last moment bid at base price to fill up the numbers. Brook's also in the same frame... I expect him, Duckett and Jacks' fates to be determined by the dreaded auction dynamics. Rossouw will probably get a deal after his century although I don't expect it to be a big one.

Mayank will probably be the biggest domestic attraction. SRH for instance should go all in for him. I expect Williamson to be the subject of a bidding war between CSK and SRH.

Bevab

Staff Member
Disappointed! Could've saved the 6.75c on Rayudu and tried for some other batter. Did CSK worry that they might not easily find a good middle order right handed batsman in the mini auction? I dont think CSK can go that hard on Sam Curran, who is likely to break the bank at the auction and there is SRH and PBKS with hefty purses to go any distance on Curran. And I hope CSK does not go hard on Curran, because with the games returning to Chepauk, we'll be back to spin heavy attack again and we have Theekshana-Moeen-Jadeja-Santner-Solanki.

CSK is getting left-handed heavy in their batting order (Conway, Ali, Dube, Jadeja). With Uthappa retired and Jagadeesan released, we need to find a few right handed replacements and most importantly folks who can bat middle-lower down the order. Maybe a KS Bharat might be a good fit. If they really need a top order player as backup, Vishnu Vinod has been released. And hope CSK play Senapati this season

DJ Bravo getting released was expected since we have Pretorius now. Still we need a proper death bowler to replace Bravo-Jordan. Hope we can try for someone like a Josh Little. And also a 140+ clicks fast bowler to replace Milne. Maybe we would've got some pointers from the SAT20 auction where JSK (CSK's new sister franchise) did some pretty interesting and positive picks. I really wish Fleming attends this auction and also maybe we bring in Prasanna (JSK's analyst for SAT20 league) for the IPL 2023 mini-auction. Prasanna did a pretty good job at the SAT20 auction and he is a hardcore CSK fanatic and is a regular at Ashwin's YouTube channel where both Ashwin and Prasanna literally swoon over CSK :D:clap:cheers

Fleming did talk about Hangargekar last season where he mentioned that he was raw and needed some time in the nets before being played. On Bana staying in nets that long, you also gotta factor in auction dynamics, where the player was, etc. I completely understand where you're coming from and as a CSK fan, I have also at many times been frustrated with CSK giving too much importance for experience and comfort but I do see signs that they will change that in the coming year(s) as the prime stalwarts are all ready to move on.

I didn't notice that Delhi released Bharat. CSK should go all in for him and have him be the Dhoni replacement behind the stumps. The bloke is excellent with the gloves and with the all-rounder mania in the squad they can afford to carry his batting returns (which aren't too shabby either).

Curran is the best death bowler available in the auction. We should be going all in for him personally as he fills an excellent role in the team. I don't trust Mukesh Starc or Chahar at the death even if the latter has improved a lot in that department. Pretorius isn't as good as Bravo at the death too. He did surprise me last season with the ball though. I don't think we need too many players in the auction honestly and that might just embolden us to go all in for Curran who will fill a role in the XI. I don't expect SRH and/or PK to spend all of their hefty money on Curran. SRH don't even need him either, they've got Jansen who is of similar profile at a distant glance. They'd be better off targeting Stokes or Green. PK will be the main competition I believe along with MI who need an all-rounder that can bowl four overs.

Little's a good shout even if we've already got a left-arm option in the team. Agreed on the need for a fast bowler, we're sorely missing one for a while now. Shame that Asif never got his proper chance here. Might even be worth taking a punt on a newbie to the IPL like Sears or Coetzee (who I think is with JSK?). There's still the likes of Meredith if we want a more experienced option. I hope they don't go crazy on someone like Williamson because they want a captaincy replacement when we've still holes to patch in the squad. I'm not sure why Pathirana was retained after one impressive debut.. he wasn't that good for Sri Lanka. Hopefully he's shown something exciting in the nets to warrant a retention. Pleased that they didn't release Santner too, he was excellent in the WC and might be very useful on Chepauk pitches. :D

Users who are viewing this thread