Indian Premier League - General Discussion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
It became boring the moment they had 10 teams playing each other.

The alternative,given that they want to add 2 more teams, should be to divide the teams into groups of 6 each. The Top can go into a Super Six sorta structure thereafter.

If the IPL keeps expanding,the only choice to avoid spectator burn out is by introducing the promotion/ relegation concept.

Can't see any other way tbh
I can't see promotion/relegation working because some teams would have to willingly agree to, potentially, lose money (unless they equally shared money across division).

I don't know how likely further expansion is, but that might lead to two groups which might make it more interesting.

Ultimately, even the IPL falls victim to the the long league stage, short knockout stage like all the other franchise leagues. Only the Blast and SMAT seem to navigate that, by virtue of having enough teams to keep it somewhat interesting thanks to an extended knockout.

From what I've read viewing figures have increased which would suggest change is unlikely and, if anything, more of the same is what would be desired by broadcasters and the BCCI.

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
SRH after their first 7 games in 2022- 5 wins 2 losses.
SRH after 12 games in 2022- 5 wins 7 losses

I am really hoping this season is not a repeat of that. I have been fearing that since the beginning. CSK in Chennai is a tough one so I'm really scared about that too (hopefully I get to watch it in the ground)

I think they might drop Markram now and bring Phillips in. He hasn't been in the runs in very long and has had 1/2 good games at best. And when we needed a Markram-anchor innings the most he has failed. Only issue is I don't see Phillips batting at 3, so they might need to change the batting order (Shahbaz at 3 ??)
I got the tickets for the CSK-SRH match !

Interesting take this. Thought SRH would need Markram all the more on a Chennai wicket against their spinners. BTW, if at all they try Markram for Phillips, Samad is a better bet @3. The guy has a decent technique to play around the game. Shahbaz is a good shout too.
Yeah considering Chepauk Wicket I think Markram is probably going to play. Samad is more of designated finisher , so Idk about that. Really hope they give Sanvir Singh a chance sometime this season. 192 Strike rate in domestic t20 and big domestic talent

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Another 250 plus!

The public expectations are going to be Super High going into USA-WI, where they will be in for a shocker, given the slow nature of the wickets.

Bevab

Staff Member
I feel he has been given the raw end of the stick. DK was never given an extended run in matches during ICC tournaments. Even CWC19, they got him in pretty late.

I agree for the longer format, but with the shorter ones, Pant has shown a tendency to slightly underperform. There's a growing call to include him, based off his part laurels(largely Test matches)

Hence, I'd still recommend the combo of Samson+DK, but know full well that ain't going to happen.

On a slightly related note, happy to hear Manjrekar announce his prospective 15 without Kohli. The commentators are now speaking out and it is good to note.

He had four games in the most recent WC and failed in three of them (didn’t bat in the other). He was utterly miserable to watch in particular against SA.

Pant’s selection is based off entirely his current IPL season where he’s currently the second highest run scorer at a healthy strike rate for a team that hasn’t been great. I don’t have as much faith in DK to replicate what he’s shown against better quality opposition. My worry with Pant is that he isn’t a ball one hitter either and needs at least five to six deliveries to get set but that can be managed if he bats at four or even five.

I’m a fan of selecting Samson too. I wouldn’t mind if either Samson or Pant plays. Both deserve a spot.

Bevab

Staff Member
I got the tickets for the CSK-SRH match !

Yeah considering Chepauk Wicket I think Markram is probably going to play. Samad is more of designated finisher , so Idk about that. Really hope they give Sanvir Singh a chance sometime this season. 192 Strike rate in domestic t20 and big domestic talent

Watch for the fireworks! :D

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
It became boring the moment they had 10 teams playing each other.

The alternative,given that they want to add 2 more teams, should be to divide the teams into groups of 6 each. The Top 3 can go into a Super Six sorta structure thereafter.

If the IPL keeps expanding,the only choice to avoid spectator burn out is by introducing the promotion/ relegation concept.

Can't see any other way tbh

I don't agree with that. The idea will be to have 16 or even 24 teams long term.

The issue is the tracks.

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
Watch for the fireworks! :D
I will have to - cause I really wanted the KMK or other Box tickets cause the comfort level of those are just ++++ but I will have to make do with Lower Tier

But on the bright side, some fielders would be in extremely close proximity to me (I saw Klaasen so close up in the SA-PAK game in WC from similar stand)
Post automatically merged:

He had four games in the most recent WC and failed in three of them (didn’t bat in the other). He was utterly miserable to watch in particular against SA.

Pant’s selection is based off entirely his current IPL season where he’s currently the second highest run scorer at a healthy strike rate for a team that hasn’t been great. I don’t have as much faith in DK to replicate what he’s shown against better quality opposition. My worry with Pant is that he isn’t a ball one hitter either and needs at least five to six deliveries to get set but that can be managed if he bats at four or even five.

I’m a fan of selecting Samson too. I wouldn’t mind if either Samson or Pant plays. Both deserve a spot.
Ultimately India's biggest problem is extra top-order players. So Pant being a middle-order bat edges out Samson solely on the balance aspect alone (Which was why I was very much for Jitesh being India's WK before Pant came into the talk)

Bevab

Staff Member
I will have to - cause I really wanted the KMK or other Box tickets cause the comfort level of those are just ++++ but I will have to make do with Lower Tier

But on the bright side, some fielders would be in extremely close proximity to me (I saw Klaasen so close up in the SA-PAK game in WC from similar stand)

Ultimately India's biggest problem is extra top-order players. So Pant being a middle-order bat edges out Samson solely on the balance aspect alone (Which was why I was very much for Jitesh being India's WK before Pant came into the talk)

As far as I know KMK’s mid tier is the holy grail of tickets.

I think Sanju is fine in the middle order given how he bats but yeah I think it’s unlikely they’ll pick him ahead of Pant and knowing Dravid and Rohit they may opt to take Jitesh along out of loyalty.

I don't agree with that. The idea will be to have 16 or even 24 teams long term.

The issue is the tracks.

The crowds have been loving the high scores though, at least from the two games I’ve attended. Whilst I’ve personally liked the stadium experience, I grew numb by the time of LSG’s innings and so did the bloke I went with. Doesn’t seem like the rest of the crowd shared that opinion.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Sanju Samson's name is growing to deafening levels for T20 WC selection. I have a feeling that this time, the noise has gotten very loud for the selectors and Rohit/Dravid to ignore him from the squad. I just cannot see any reason why he would be kept out of the squad. Not only does he need to be selected for the tournament, he needs to be starting in the XI on a regular basis. He can bat 3, 4, 5 or he can open too. And a strong captaincy potential candidate who can provide inputs for Rohit from behind the stumps.

Some critics might say "but he didnt grab his opportunities whenever he got them". Well, when did he get even a semblance of a consistent run. He would be picked for a game here, a game there, in short T20 series here and there, and then discarded. Has he been backed strongly and consistently like a Pant or a Rahul? No.

Bevab

Staff Member
I see that Gujarat TN Titans are back at it again.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Rubbish bowling from Mohit. He looks clueless in only one trick (slower balls) in operation.

Users who are viewing this thread