Kshitiz's Cricket Sim 09 Discussion/Testing

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Sorry for looking at this so late. Yeah, the website's down, or rather no longer maintained... I unfortunately lost all my website source with the old host and had no backups. :mad

I can do a public release sometime... but if someone has the latest edition downloaded from the site itself, please post it here so others can download.

Thanks,
Kshitiz

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
See Kshitiz, I told you we're interested in your projects. This and MM. I'm still very much expecting that.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Yeah... so am I. But sadly my irresponsible behavior towards supporting my past softwares has continued this summer. I don't really know what's been wrong... I just haven't been able to find the will and the time to devote to it. :noway

simsanta123

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Can someone please send me a copy of the game? I had it in my old computer and really liked it, but it seems the site is down now. :/

Dipak

ICC Board Member
Please can you post it here mate please. I might need it. :p

There's no probs if you do so because the creator himself has requested the people who have the latest edition to post it here
but if someone has the latest edition downloaded from the site itself, please post it here so others can download.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
So I was looking across some old data backups and what I found? Source Code of CS09.

Since I now have basically no plans to expand/maintain this, and I've been getting a lot of requests, I am releasing the source code publicly.

I will not, and cannot provide any support of this source code. It means no explanation, no help with compiling, or anything. You're on your own if you want to venture this way.

A few notes:
  • The source is being made available with a GPL License - if you reuse any parts of the code directly, you MUST release the source of your application too. Feel free to use the code as a reference/learning any way you feel like.
  • The source is in C++ language and was developed in Visual C++ Express 2010. To compile it in any other compilers, please make the necessary changes.
  • Almost all of the source is portable and will work on Linux and others too, except perhaps the part which finds team files in the directory and works with files; I haven't tested its portability.
  • This is an old version of the source; unfortunately I do not have the newest copy.

Please note that this source code is very old (Like 4 years) and is really bad code; for anyone learning to program or starting out, I'd highly recommend NOT to use this code as inspiration to base your designs; this code is very inefficient and any regular programmer would cry on seeing it.

With all of that out of the way, please find the cpp file attached!

Cheers,
Kshitiz

Attachments

• CS09Source.zip
    8.8 KB · Views: 72

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
So PCPL informed me about some minor issues with the sim, so I thought it'd be fun to download the source, fix them, and release another version.

As it turned out, however, I nearly cried my eyes out. The code I wrote some 6 years ago is so bug-prone, so ugly, so naive... I am surprised about how it all still somehow pulls together and produces valid output without crashing here and there!

I had thought of overhauling the sim a bit but considering the code quality, I decided to give it a miss.

I gave a shot at some fixes. Here's what I was able to do:

1. Increase the frequency of sixes.
2. Fix issue with overs appearing as "18.6"

Give it a whirl. Some disclaimers:
0. I don't know whether the source I used (and had posted above) was the latest source with which the sim being used in PCPL was compiled. It may very well be older and hence more buggy or different in behavior; unfortunately this is also the only source still available.
1. I may have broken 10000 things; please do not kill me. If you can present a bug report to me (which includes how the issue occurred, how to make it occur if possible, state of match at that moment, what exactly is the issue), I shall be happy to fix it if I can.
2. I'm not really sure if the old team files would continue to work. They should, though.
3. The increase in number of sixes might translate into slightly higher total team scores. Let me know if it becomes too much of an issue/you have some suggestions (like reduce the twos, or fours, or dots, etc.)

Attachments

• CS15.zip
    43.3 KB · Views: 46

MishraJee

Panel of Selectors
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
So PCPL informed me about some minor issues with the sim, so I thought it'd be fun to download the source, fix them, and release another version.

As it turned out, however, I nearly cried my eyes out. The code I wrote some 6 years ago is so bug-prone, so ugly, so naive... I am surprised about how it all still somehow pulls together and produces valid output without crashing here and there!

I had thought of overhauling the sim a bit but considering the code quality, I decided to give it a miss.

I gave a shot at some fixes. Here's what I was able to do:

1. Increase the frequency of sixes.
2. Fix issue with overs appearing as "18.6"

Give it a whirl. Some disclaimers:
0. I don't know whether the source I used (and had posted above) was the latest source with which the sim being used in PCPL was compiled. It may very well be older and hence more buggy or different in behavior; unfortunately this is also the only source still available.
1. I may have broken 10000 things; please do not kill me. If you can present a bug report to me (which includes how the issue occurred, how to make it occur if possible, state of match at that moment, what exactly is the issue), I shall be happy to fix it if I can.
2. I'm not really sure if the old team files would continue to work. They should, though.
3. The increase in number of sixes might translate into slightly higher total team scores. Let me know if it becomes too much of an issue/you have some suggestions (like reduce the twos, or fours, or dots, etc.)
Thanks just when my league was starting

Users who are viewing this thread