Story Livingston Lions: Hear them Roar!!! **FC Match Report vs Putney CC plus XI for OD announced**

Who will be the most successful 1XI player for the Lions this season?

• Paul Tailor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elton Reddington

• Dev Wilbrahim

• Dunc Lester

• James Roper

• Matthew Pretorius

• Marc Vadiveloo

• Total voters

Highlander999

ICC President
Here those Lions Roar!!!
untitled-43.jpg

At the end of 2007 a total unknown manager took charge of a small team in the KwaZulu-Natal Region in South Africa. They were in the bottom division's in both the OD and FC leagues and were a team where low morale and poor performances were everywhere. That changed though.

In just his first season, manager Tom Baker, managed to gain them promotion in both leagues and bring in a whole bunch of new players. After all the league re-shuffles and another couple of seasons, Livingston Lions (formely known as Muireston) find themselves sitting in Division IV in the OD league and Division V in the FC and 20/20 league and are ranked 128 in the whole of South Africa. That small unkown team has come a long way. Yet Tom Baker wants more from his boys.

Here are the 20 men who are going to be the guys out there on the pitch doing it for Livi Lions:

1XI

1-4.jpg

Paul Tailor is Livi's opener and also a part time seamer in FC matches. He joined Livingston at the end of 2008 for just over 1,000,000 and so far has really shown that he was a real bargain for the manager. He was the FC batsman for Season 12 where he scored 1127 runs at an average of 281.75, with 3 fifties and 6 centuries from 11 innings. Paul is a naturally quiet guy but has bags of experience and often gets Livingston off to the flying start that they need.

2-3.jpg

Elton is one of the newest guys to have joined Livingston and is Paul's opening partner. He came to Livingston in April of this year for 1.3 million and so far has been playing a fundamental part for Livingston in getting them off to a steady start. These two surely are one of the best opening pairs going around at this level.

2-2.jpg

"Big Doug" as his mates call him in Livingston's star batsman and wicket-keeper. Easily the most talented at 28 he is pivotal for the Lions. He is one of the most experienced players in the squad and is at the peak of his career now, scoring runs in nearly every innings. Like Elton, Doug is a relative new edition to the squad having also arrived in April for 2.2 million. Doug hit the local newspapers after it was revealed that he stuck a potato in the exhaust of manager Tom Baker's car, causing it to backfire and mean a new exhaust.

a.jpg

Malcolm has been moved up and down the Lions order for some time now, but appears to be most comfortable at 4. He didn't have the best of starts to his career at Livingston, but he really appears to have settled down now, and is a valuable player who has had a good start to the season so far. If the Lions are in trouble he will generally come to the rescue.

3-2.jpg

The Lions OD hero from last season. Dev, claimed the OD Season 12 batting award with 624 runs at an average of 156.00 with 5 fifties and 1 century from 11 innings and 7 not out's. Last season was a superb one from Dev, who go called it a few times when Livingston had wobbled and needed a steady hand to take them over the finish line. He joined the Lions back in 2008 and has had a massive impact from there on in. One of the players to watch out for, this season.

b.jpg

Dunc, is the Lion's back-up keeper and also their number 6 batsman. Like Dev, he also had a cracking OD season, last season and was unlucky that Dev just edged him for the OD batting award. Yet, him and Dev have constantly put on match winning innings which were so important in getting the Lions to finish first last season

54.jpg

The team's main all-rounder and also one of the two trainees. Darren was bought at the beginning of last season for just 40,000, but manager Tom Baker saw the potential that this lad has, and he has really begun to put the performances in. His last match saw him return 1-28 off 10 overs against arch rivals Polla, when other senior bowlers did not perform. Tom Baker has been heard saying that he plans for Darren's training to continue for a few more seasons, so keep your eye on this rising star.

4-2.jpg

James "Skip" Roper is the Lions star bowler and also the captain. He has certainly moved around the globe, with him now having a New Zealand dual nationality. His travels, now mean he has bags of experience and is certainly a force to be reckoned with, not only with his superb medium pacers but also with a great cricketing mind that has seen him take the Lions to victory after victory. He joined the Lions back in January for a massive bargain of just over 1,000,000 and so far he has been worth every penny.

5.jpg

One of the long standing members of the Lions, Matty, was a player for the Lions back in mid 2008 and is also an ex bowling trainee of their fantastic training academy. Matty is, the skips opening bowling partner and between these two they have had their OD league sealed up for the past season, with teams unable to cope, with the swing and accuracy that these two generate. Matty will certainly be at the Lions for a few more seasons and is a valuable member of the team.

c.jpg

Carlton a.k.a. "Ranga Beard" is the Lions other current trainee. When he was first promoted from the Lions youth academy it was said that he had the potential to make the Under 19's and possibly the national team. Whilst it now appears he won't be making the Under 19's, there is still a chance he could make the international scene, but a lot of training resources will have to be devoted to him. Currently, it is a tough decision for the manager to make, but there is still no denying that Carlton will be the Lions best ever bowler in a season or two. The club joke is that someone has to cut the ridiculous beard off, as it is rather ginger :p

6.jpg

Marc joined the Lions at the beginning of the year to be the second change bowler. Whilst he may not be up there with the likes of James Roper, he still is a force to be reckoned with and has had his days where he has been fundamental to a Lions win. The first FC match of the season is proof of this where he returned match figures of 8-91 from 34 overs.

The Reserves

These are the guys who are used by the Lions when either a 1XI needs a break or when they are playing lesser opposition:

Reserve Bowlers

12.jpg

7.jpg

13.jpg

8.jpg

14.jpg

Reserve Batsmen

9.jpg

15.jpg

10.jpg

16.jpg

This season, manager Tom Baker has set out his goals. 1st in OD. Survival in FC and 20/20 and at least the fourth round of the Cup. These are realistic goals for the Lions and considering they came first in the OD form of the game last season it should be a certainty that they achieve that again. 20/20 will be the big one. Surival last season was not expected, but due to a good run, the Lions somehow managed to stay up. They will be looking to repeat this success again, this season.

Match Day: FC Match 16/17/18 of June away at Putney CG

Currently Putney CC are first in the FC league so this is a big match for the Lions. Manager Tom Baker has already named his side:

1. Paul Tailor
2. Elton Reddington
3. Dougie Hollis +
4. Malcolm Coutts
5. Dev Wilbrahim
6. Dunc Lester
7. Louis Mosheau
8. James Roper *
9. Matthew Pretorius
10. Fred Tenius
11. Marc Vadiveloo

Louis Mosheau comes in for Darren Ingham and Fred Tenius comes in for Carlton Manders with both players being rested after intensive training seassions at the weekend. Apart from that though, the Lions are going out with a full team, showing that manager Tom Baker wants to win this match and is treating FC very seriously. Daily reports and scorecards will be posted as this match progresses.

TIME FOR YOU TO GET INVOLVED!!!!!!

Next Monday, Lions star batsman and wicket-keeper, Dougie Hollis will be answering any questions that you have regarding, his cricketing career, what he thinks of Lions or anything else which you want to know about him. Get those questions in early.

Last edited:
I have two questions for Dougie,

1) What do you think of Tom Baker as a manager?

and

2) On a night out, what is your preffered thing to do? Cinema? Restraunt? Clubbing?

I dont have any questions yet :p but for you tom. good start mate and looking forward to this. good luck:happy

Carlton Manders is a legend. :p

I've always been interested in Battrick but it's too much effort, lol.

Shall be following this story. :)

yh i don't really know much about battrick so this will be interesting for me to follow. I have one question:-

What realistically do you think the team can achieve in the coming season and individually what are your goals for the coming season?

Great start Tom as always :)

Tom, I have a feeling that you are doing the same mistake which I did to my team! i.e improper training plans. I am not sure, but do make it a point that you are concentration on couple of individuals first on training and make them as a superstar and then move on like that!

And my question will be,

When Tigers and Lions met, why didn't the lions roar? ;) ( I hope you understood my context )

So ..........

Tommy is now back with another story ;) i hope he will be keeping the same level as he has been :) my money is on Darren Ingam :D

All the best Tommy or Ben, which one you prefer :p :thumbs

Tuesday's FC Summary (Day 1 vs Putney CC)

There were big problems for the Lions when Louis Mosheau, Darren Ingham's replacement phoned up sick at 7 in the morning meaning that 12th man, Prashant Vineetha had to be drafted in. This did leave some problems for the Lions as it meant that the tail now started at 7 and put a bit of extra pressure on the batsmen. However, there was very little the Lions could do, and in true style they got about warming up hard.

James Roper won the toss and elected to bat first on a cracked pitch. The wind had picked up and it was rather chilly out there. The Lions started well, with the openers putting on a 107, before both Tailor and Reddington fell within 9 runs off each other. Hollis then showed why he is such a class batsman and as batsmen got starts but then fell, he remained there throughout, guiding the Lions towards a respectable total.

In the end he was left with the tail and was eventually caught, attempting to hit big, but his 130 off 132 balls was vital for the Lions. Livingston almost made it to 360 to gain full batting points but were eventually dimissed 28 runs short. 332 All Out off 90 overs. It was not a bad batting performance, and Dougie Hollis was the real star!!!

1-5.jpg

With such a good total on the board it gave the Lion's bowlers something to work with. James Roper and Matty Pretorius were sharing the new ball. They had a great start when in the second over, Pretorius had his first wicket getting Peacock to feather an edge behind to Hollis. It was the perfect start and the Lions became even more buoyent when the skip claimed his first wicket and then when Marc Vadiveloo, who was brought in to replace Pretorius got a wicket, when Whalley hit a wide one straight to Tailor at gully.

It was a great 20 overs for the Lions and they finished Day 1 with Putney CC on 55/3 with 7 wickets in hand.

2-4.jpg

The Lions bowlers will be looking to continue the good work tomorrow and hopefully get Putney CC out for such a low total, that the follow on can be enforced.

I love Battrick stories! I would restart my old one but I don't have enough time on my hands unfortunately.

I'd be dissapointed not to get full batting points but I don't think will matter if your bowlers keep running through their line-up.

Now a question for Dougie:
How did you get your nickname "Big Dougie"?

Lions Cruise to 9 wicket victory

The Lions managed to seal up a comprehensive 9 wicket victory over rivals Putney CC in just 2 days, meaning that the Lions players were able to take today off and rest up for Friday's OD match against tiger11.

With Putney CC resuming on 55/3, Roper and Pretorius proceeded to clean up the middle and lower order, with Roper returning figures of 17-7-30-4 and Pretorius getting figures of 15.4-4-22-5. All in all Putney CC were rattled out for just 73 runs and skipper James Roper asked them to follow on straight away

1-6.jpg

Roper and Pretorius were feeling a bit tired having to go straight out again and bowl, which might account for the good top order performance by the Putney batsmen. The openers managed to put on 142, before the skipper leading by example managed to snag both of them in quick succession. Wickets then began to fall at regular intervals, although Putney CC did manage to get past the Lions first innings total, before being bowled out for a more respectable total of 291.

Once again, Roper and Pretorius, although flagging, starred with the ball, picking up 7 wickets between them, with Vadiveloo also chipping in.

2-5.jpg

The Lions only needed to score 36 runs, and Paul Tailor will be disappointed that he was removed for a duck in the first over. Reddington and Hollis were there though to steady the ship and guide the Lions home to a fabulous victory against a tough team.

3-3.jpg

A local reporter for the KwaZulu-Natal Times was there and in his write up this is how he summed up how he felt the two teams matched up along with some other match details:

4-3.jpg

As you can see, the Lions had the better top order, but Putney CC had the better middle order and spin bowlers, whilst both were evenly matched in the seam bowling department. Manager, Tom Baker can be pleased with such a performance!!!

With that win, the Lions moved to the top of the table, with a 100% win record so far this season. The big question, is will Tom Baker want promotion in FC?

5-1.jpg

Tom Baker also named his side for Friday's OD match:

1. Paul Tailor
2. Elton Reddington
3. Dougie Hollis +
4. Malcolm Coutts
5. Dev Wilbrahim
6. Dunc Lester
7. Darren Ingham
8. James Roper *
9. Fred Tenius
10. Carlton Manders
11. Marc Vadiveloo

Matthew Pretorius is the only player who is being rested after getting through quite a few overs in this weeks FC match, so Fred Tenius comes in to replace him. "It was a tough call between Nelson Goodhead and Fred" said manager Tom Baker, "...but with the tiger11's pitch favouring seam bowlers, I decided to go with Fred over Nelson". The Lions will be expecting to win tomorrow's match as the tiger11 are a capable team, but not really up there with the Lions.

Lions hit the Transfer Market

Manager Tom Baker did say at the beginning of the season he wanted a bit more depth to the B team, and the batting has been sured up, with the buying off 17 year old Neale Wren, who will be making his debut in Sunday's cup match, it is expected.

An excellent win for your boys in that FC match. I feel they had the better of the summary but you dominated them in the end!

Users who are viewing this thread