My Batting Advice

I am haaving a problem in batting on pro level.Every now and then my batsman misses the ball while my timimg is almost perfect every time.I play balls in the right directions.I checked from net practice that my footwork wasn't good.Any tip to improve it? I usually play full and good length deliveries on frontfoot but still finding it difficult to touch the ball

Play a bunch of casual odis and tests. I've seen that nets and practice matches are not the same as playing actual matches. If PRO mode still gives problems, go to Amateur and after plaing a few days on that level ramp up the difficulty level to PRO.

Some really useful tips. However I feel that my batting lacks in the 'technical' department. By this I mean, I am unable to judge if I should play on the back foot or front foot. I generally pick if I want to block or go for a shot before the delivery is bowled, which may not be a good idea if the bowler surprises me. Naturally, I suppose all this comes with practice and experience.

Some really useful tips. However I feel that my batting lacks in the 'technical' department. By this I mean, I am unable to judge if I should play on the back foot or front foot. I generally pick if I want to block or go for a shot before the delivery is bowled, which may not be a good idea if the bowler surprises me. Naturally, I suppose all this comes with practice and experience.

I don't think it will ever be possible to chose which foot to use to face fast bowling for most people and will be very difficult to master for 70-80mph bowling.

Medium pacers and spinners offer enough time.

the front/back shot choice doesn't seem hugely important.

I don't think it will ever be possible to chose which foot to use to face fast bowling for most people and will be very difficult to master for 70-80mph bowling.

Medium pacers and spinners offer enough time.

the front/back shot choice doesn't seem hugely important.
At times it does impact the shot. I find my batsmen playing a rather uncanny shot, all because I chose the wrong footing, albeit good timing and placement is what really counts in the end.

At times it does impact the shot. I find my batsmen playing a rather uncanny shot, all because I chose the wrong footing, albeit good timing and placement is what really counts in the end.

yep it has an effect, (wouldn't be in the game if it didn't) just more that i don't think it's a big one and will very rarely be the reason you get out. If you choose the wrong footwork, but choose the right direction and time it well it will be fine. maybe just 2/3 instead of four.

choose the right footwork but mistime it and you're out 90% of the time.

The problem that i am facing is with fast bowlers, i mean they're too fast to actually play shots according to the ball bowled. Its mostly a PRE-MEDITATED SHOT. If the bowl market is red which means a bouncer, then its hard to actually go backfoot and play...most of the time i have to play pull shot of the front foot... kinda same with fast-medium bowlers.

medium or spinners is a totally different story

any help on that would be highly appreciated.

The problem that i am facing is with fast bowlers, i mean they're too fast to actually play shots according to the ball bowled. Its mostly a PRE-MEDITATED SHOT. If the bowl market is red which means a bouncer, then its hard to actually go backfoot and play...most of the time i have to play pull shot of the front foot... kinda same with fast-medium bowlers.

medium or spinners is a totally different story

any help on that would be highly appreciated.

The short answer is practise.

The long answer: I felt exactly the same way as you for some time. Then I read someone (I don't remember who) on here saying "you have more time than you think", and stopped trying to premeditate.

The thing I have discovered is that I have way more time than I thought :)

Early in an innings, or early in a new bowlers spell, default to defensive shots. I tend to simply not play anything short in that situation, and leave stuff wide - so, exactly as if I was genuinely facing a quick early in my innings or early in the spell.

Once they've got 3 overs or so in (and assuming you've survived), I've built up some confidence and can begin to play some strokes - and they're fatigued, so less dangerous.

Things may have changed a little after patch 2, I haven't had long enough with it to be sure - the thing that I am sure of, though, is that the new career I started after patch 2, the batting is going much better.

I think it's largely because of the amount of time I've put in to get better at batting ...

The short answer is practise.

The long answer: I felt exactly the same way as you for some time. Then I read someone (I don't remember who) on here saying "you have more time than you think", and stopped trying to premeditate.

The thing I have discovered is that I have way more time than I thought :)

Early in an innings, or early in a new bowlers spell, default to defensive shots. I tend to simply not play anything short in that situation, and leave stuff wide - so, exactly as if I was genuinely facing a quick early in my innings or early in the spell.

Once they've got 3 overs or so in (and assuming you've survived), I've built up some confidence and can begin to play some strokes - and they're fatigued, so less dangerous.

Things may have changed a little after patch 2, I haven't had long enough with it to be sure - the thing that I am sure of, though, is that the new career I started after patch 2, the batting is going much better.

I think it's largely because of the amount of time I've put in to get better at batting ...

I agree on your point that practice will make it better. But again practice in the nets is way different than bat in career. I guess what i'm going to do is play a test match and then practice it as much as i can.

the main problem that i think i face is even though if the bowler has bowled a bouncer...as soon as he is about to throw the bowl, I will just ASSUME that he will bowl good length (green color) and plays a front foot instead of back foot.

Also, talking about patch 2... yes the batting seems to be gettin a little easier. But bowling has become more difficult.. before I used to take atleast 5 wickets in an innings...but now its harder to take even 2 wickets in one innings :noway which is insane... the AI seems to play more shots than before.

I agree on your point that practice will make it better. But again practice in the nets is way different than bat in career. I guess what i'm going to do is play a test match and then practice it as much as i can.

the main problem that i think i face is even though if the bowler has bowled a bouncer...as soon as he is about to throw the bowl, I will just ASSUME that he will bowl good length (green color) and plays a front foot instead of back foot.

Also, talking about patch 2... yes the batting seems to be gettin a little easier. But bowling has become more difficult.. before I used to take atleast 5 wickets in an innings...but now its harder to take even 2 wickets in one innings :noway which is insane... the AI seems to play more shots than before.

I do most of my practise in Match Practise, rather than in the nets. I also tend to practise at a level higher than I'm playing (so, Veteran most of the time), and I set the bowler to be "Very Good" and the batsman to be "Very Poor".

Interestingly, I've found bowling to be not that much harder. My 16 year-old right arm off-breaks (bowling allrounder) already has two 5 wicket bags to his name, and an average and economy rate that I consider to be pretty silly.

FWIW, I don't think it's insane at all to be working hard to take 2 wickets, certainly as a new chum to the Provincial/Country scene ...

Hey guys, many times I have been out caught defending because the ball hits the middle of the bat and goes to bowler or silly midoff while defending. Is it because I am playing too late? But I find myself unable to play early as I need to see where the ball is going before defending. So what should I do? I am playing on legend by the way.

The one advantage of playing fast/fast-medium bowlers on the front foot all the time is that the second you see a red circle you can smash it through midwicket for a four. If anything's full or on a decent length, you have plenty of time to deal with it accordingly (because you're not concerned with two sticks at once).

The difficulty is to not get caught wafting outside off stump, because then you're just courting disaster. And making sure you don't end up walking too far out of your crease (because you will wander forward if you hold down the left-stick during the entire run-up) helps.

At the moment my feelings about pro cam batting controls against the seamers :

i) on pro cam it's very hard to read the line of the ball in the first 1/3 of the flight. Using the hud helps a little bit but it doesn't really give me the information I need in a way that's instantly apparent. In real life I get a strong sense of line and length as soon as the ball leaves the hand, but during this part of the delivery in DBC pro cam I'm looking but just not getting the information. It feels a bit like losing 30 points off my batting IQ.

I have tried taping string to the screen to draw a line showing me where the line of my off stump is. Sort of worked but a bit annoying to have string stuck to your screen.

ii) I still feel, as I said when the nets came out, that I have to hit the right stick way ahead of the bat coming through, and this is my main problem with shot selection and timing. Combine this with it being tricky to detect line and length early and it's a touch frustrating at times.

I can get runs ok in pro cam / legend / hud off but not without throwing in some spazzy number 11 shots when I don't pick the ball up early enough, or when I jump the gun and guess because I'm concerned about being late on a straight one and getting out bowled or lb.

eta - update : I've been experimenting with using only light pressure on the left stick, with some improvement in feel and usability. My reading of the practice match feedback initially was that the game gave you better footwork marks for getting right forward by pushing the left stick the whole way, so I've been batting with big movements of the left stick the whole time.

Smaller left stick movements don't seem to produce "perfect" footwork results as often, but I think it helps me cut down on big footwork mistakes such as walking across my stumps and getting bowled, and I feel I'm more prepared to be able to choose front or back foot, or to lean over to the offside for the wide ones.

Last edited:
I have tried taping string to the screen to draw a line showing me where the line of my off stump is. Sort of worked but a bit annoying to have string stuck to your screen.

My hero! :yes

Users who are viewing this thread