National Anthem

themuel1

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi guys,

Im just wondering if any of you think that our (England's) national anthem should be changed. All other home nations have their own anthem (I think ours is Land of hope and glory, but its rarely played)

I'm personally sick of hearing the drone of God save the queen, when I couldn't actually care what happens to her. If were going to have one it should spark some sense of pride of our nation, like Jeruselum did for the cricket.

What suggestions would you guys have for a new song (seriously)?

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Keep it as it is, I'm not really interested in saving the queen either but dont want to end up with the crazy frog!!!!!

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
The title of the national anthem "God Save The Queen" essentially indicates that you can only truly be British if:

1) You believe in some sort of god.
2) You support the monarchy.

I'm an atheist and don't accept the Queen as a legitimate head of state, so that's me out.

I'd have "God Save The Queen" by the Sex Pistols though :D

Definitely not Jereuselem though, I still think the ECB made a big mistake with that. We're struggling to get young Asian kids in England playing for counties, and we go and choose the song that is also used as the anthem of the BNP. Great idea guys.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
LOL @ the sex pistols, can you see our athletes standing to attention to that when they are on the podium at the olympics getting their bronze medals :p

Sureshot

Executive member
Well the Queen has no say on most matters anymore, i still get Goosebumps from it, and i didn't know about that BNP bit!

FreddieFan

International Coach
I like the National Anthem, despite being an Atheist. I wouldn't like to see it changed.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Sureshot said:
Well the Queen has no say on most matters anymore
You'd be surprised what she has a say on. There is legally nothing to stop her sacking Tony Blair as Prime Minister. She probably wouldn't do it, but the fact that the monarch can do that is worrying, especially as in the future there is the possibility of getting a complete nutter as King or Queen.

Sureshot

Executive member
I knew that, i'm not completely thick. :D

If a monarch made a outrageous decision in the future, could it be overridden?

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Sureshot said:
If a monarch made a outrageous decision in the future, could it be overridden?
Technically not. Although if it did happen, there would be such an outcry that the monarchy would probably collapse.

In the 70s (I think), the governor of Australia, who exercises the Queens powers in Australia, sacked the Australian PM due to an argument over the budget. So such a thing is not without recent precedent.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Yer your national anthem is kinda lame.

Australia used to have it until we got bored of it. I dont mind our current anthem, but i'd much prefer that one that goes "I am, you are, we are Australian" (Telstra ad:D)

themuel1

International Coach
andrew_nixon said:
The title of the national anthem "God Save The Queen" essentially indicates that you can only truly be British if:

1) You believe in some sort of god.
2) You support the monarchy.

I'm an atheist and don't accept the Queen as a legitimate head of state, so that's me out.

I'd have "God Save The Queen" by the Sex Pistols though :D

Definitely not Jereuselem though, I still think the ECB made a big mistake with that. We're struggling to get young Asian kids in England playing for counties, and we go and choose the song that is also used as the anthem of the BNP. Great idea guys.

I don't think the kids will know that the BNP had it as their anthem. It wasn't a song written with racist intent. What happens if the BNP have " God save the queen or Angels by Robbie Williams" as their anthem?

Also, just because the song is tarnished being used by the BNP doesn't mean it shouldn't be used. I mean, the BNP are English, they havent tarnished the rest of us have they? We still say were English.

Users who are viewing this thread