New Computer for graphic designing/3D CAD

Abhas

Retired Administrator
I'm planning to assemble a computer to be used primarily as a 3d CAD designing machine. It will be running for 10 hours daily, and would be put to extensive use.
Here is the config I'm looking at..

Processor: Core i5 750 (8M Cache, 2.66 GHz)
Motherboard: Intel P55
RAM: 4 Gb DDR3 1333 MHz, Transcend
HDD: 500 GB Western Digital
GPU: Nvidia GT240 (1gb GDDR3) - MSI
Display: Samsung 20" widescreen LCD
Cabinet: Cooler Master Elite 330
Power Supply: 600 Watt Cooler Master.

Total Price: Approx Rs. 42,000 (900 USD)

Please provide inputs on the system.
One thing I wanted to ask was about the power supply.. I have chosen Coolermaster, while there are cheaper alternatives available. Is a Coolermaster SMPS worth its price, or should I just go in for the cabinet, and choose some other power supply.

Comments/ Criticisms welcome :)

Try going for a 3.00ghz processor, because running high usage programs for 1o hours will really suck the life out of your processor

Go for i7 no looking back, and extra space as you say it's for extensive use. The rest looks good enough to run 3D.

Best of luck! :D

Try going for a 3.00ghz processor, because running high usage programs for 1o hours will really suck the life out of your processor

There aren't any Quad core processors available running at 3.00 ghz. Rather than going for a C2D with 2 cores and 4 threads, I'd rather have 4 cores with 4 threads.

Go for i7 no looking back, and extra space as you say it's for extensive use. The rest looks good enough to run 3D.

Best of luck! :D

Dude, i7 is a bit too expensive. It would increase the cost of the system by 10-15 thousand, coz then i'll have to go in with Intel 58 motherboard as well.

Besides, I've seen the performance of this chip, and I must say it's quite good.

Space is not an issue. All the computers will be connected to a 2/4 TB NAS, where they would be storing their data.
They would work on their individual machines, and there would be time-scheduled backups to store the data on the Network.

Damn I m gonna buy a new one too :D (especially for Maya) just waiting for Fermi to be released. Anyway If your back in India then CoolerMaster should be best for the budget it should be certainly better than VIP, If you in Aussie land then you can actually get a lot of variety. Corsair ones are good but should fit in your budget

Are you assembling yourself?

My recent build was an i7-860, which is the same socket type as the i5-750, IIRC. I think it's 2.8GHz, with 4 cores and 8 threads. It was in the same price range as the i5-750 as far as I can remember. Unlike the other i7's its not tri-channel RAM.

BTW, my computer is currently running pretty much 24 hours a day as a server. However, the amount of work I do on it is minimal, so I cannot comment on that aspect of it.

Are you assembling yourself?

My recent build was an i7-860, which is the same socket type as the i5-750, IIRC. I think it's 2.8GHz, with 4 cores and 8 threads. It was in the same price range as the i5-750 as far as I can remember. Unlike the other i7's its not tri-channel RAM.

BTW, my computer is currently running pretty much 24 hours a day as a server. However, the amount of work I do on it is minimal, so I cannot comment on that aspect of it.

Getting it assembled, yes.
i7-870 looks good, but looking at the online prices, it is about Rs. 4.5-5k higher than i5-750. Would I need to change the motherboard type? I've zeroed in on Intel P55.. Going in for X58 would further increase the price.

The thing is, I've to buy 8 similar computers. Even a slight change in price would be multiplied by 8 :p

Edit: Ok, just figured it out, both processors fit on P55, infact they are incompatible with X58.

Abhas added 1 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

Damn I m gonna buy a new one too :D (especially for Maya) just waiting for Fermi to be released. Anyway If your back in India then CoolerMaster should be best for the budget it should be certainly better than VIP, If you in Aussie land then you can actually get a lot of variety. Corsair ones are good but should fit in your budget

Yes, This computer will be built in India.. Corsair Cabinet and Power supply? Available in India?

Last edited:
Getting it assembled, yes.
i7-870 looks good, but looking at the online prices, it is about Rs. 4.5-5k higher than i5-750. Would I need to change the motherboard type? I've zeroed in on Intel P55.. Going in for X58 would further increase the price.

The thing is, I've to buy 8 similar computers. Even a slight change in price would be multiplied by 8 :p

Edit: Ok, just figured it out, both processors fit on P55, infact they are incompatible with X58.

Abhas added 1 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

Yes, This computer will be built in India.. Corsair Cabinet and Power supply? Available in India?
PSUs are available not sure about Cabinets

See here:
TheITWares -TheITwares Ecommerce
Computers, Peripherals, Cameras, Laptops, Gaming Equipment Tech Heaven

Be careful, the i7-870 is the big brother of the Lynnfield line and retails at almost double of the i7-860.

Go for the i7 and future proof your machine.
I'd consider upping ram a bit too (6, maybe 8GB) as it seems like you'll be doing some pretty heavy lifting on this thing. It'll add a few K to your budget though.

I think he has to buy 8 of them, making all of them an i7 is surely going to burn a big hole in this pocket. :p

I think the i5's are just fine. Honestly, they're a bit low on cache, no turbo boost (I think), yet they are the derivatives of the same species.

Users who are viewing this thread