SA or India : The Real Challengers To Australia`s Throne.

Seems we agree on something else, that's 2 things, could be the start of a very special friendship ;)

That exact 4 pronged pace attack is the attack I'd go with if I was the Aussie selectors. If you've not got a spinner as one of the top 4 bowlers in the country, then don't play them. If they're not going to offer you anything special, don't play one. It worked with the great West Indian side, and with 4 bowlers in Clark, Johnson, Siddle and Tait you've got a fantastic mix of styles and real extreme pace as well.

Sure in a time of greener pitches and lesser workloads. You just can't go into a game without a spinner. What if the pitch is flat? What if one of your pacemen breakdown during the match and you have no one to hold up and end. In today's cricket it's very risky (more so than back in the day) to go in with 4 seamers.

Australia have Clarke, Symonds and Katich who can all bowl very capable spin in conditions where spin is vital. I think if their 4 best bowlers are quickies, then use them 4, there's no point trying to use a spinner who's not going to get wickets, and in Krejza's case get spanked and pick up the odd dodgy wicket. Outside the subcontinent Australia could easily get away with a 4 pronged pace attack and it'd work well for them.

Clark plays like a spinner anyway in some sorts. He can drop his pace 2-3k's and just hold up one end and build the pressure like Hauritz is doing by just hitting the spot. Not sure Tait is in our best 4 bowlers for Tests though. One Dayers and Twenty20's yes, but not Tests

Clark, Johnson, Siddle, Hilfy/Bollinger

Don't think that the world champions are gone...both SA and India still have to do prove a lot to beat them completely...

After losing to both these teams in recent times, I can safely say that SA are a better team. They play cricket as well, and don't have time for the stupid bickering in between. I have nothing but respect for the current SA team, however see many of the Indian players as very shallow people. While this has little to do with on field performance, I'm of the view that how you play the game is a major part of becoming the greatest team.

Purely on performance, while currently the two teams batting are equal, the retirement of several key Indian players in the coming years will put SA on top.

Quick bowling gives the edge to SA, Steyn is a freak, and Morkel is going to be something special, throw in the experience of Ntini and that is a menacing attack. I rate Sharma, however I find Khan very over rated, in the wrong conditions he goes missing.

Spinners are well in favour of India, however I don't think this is enough to put them above SA.

After losing to both these teams in recent times, I can safely say that SA are a better team. They play cricket as well, and don't have time for the stupid bickering in between. I have nothing but respect for the current SA team, however see many of the Indian players as very shallow people.
Why do people keep thinking like that though? I'll give you Harbhajan and maybe Yuvi, but what have the other players done to make you think this? Act like jerks on the field? Get under the opposition's skin? Isn't that the same thing Australia has been doing for years?

Quick bowling gives the edge to SA, Steyn is a freak, and Morkel is going to be something special, throw in the experience of Ntini and that is a menacing attack. I rate Sharma, however I find Khan very over rated, in the wrong conditions he goes missing.
He thrived in England, South Africa, and in the Subcontinent. And he did well in Australia. What exactly are these wrong conditions?

Otherwise, I agree. RSA seem better. Very little controversy from them.

Why do people keep thinking like that though? I'll give you Harbhajan and maybe Yuvi, but what have the other players done to make you think this? Act like jerks on the field? Get under the opposition's skin? Isn't that the same thing Australia has been doing for years?

Ive never really been bothered by things on the field, however some things off the field really frustrate me. When the team threatened to go home because things didn't go their way was a major part in this. SA would not have even considered this. Stuff like this is just throwing your weight in money around, and shouldn't be part of the game.

He thrived in England, South Africa, and in the Subcontinent. And he did well in Australia. What exactly are these wrong conditions?

He averages 29 in England, I'll give you that one.

40 in Aus (admittedly against Aus...)
38 in India, 41 in Pakistan, 40 in SL, 38 in WI, 38 in SA

then 28 in Bang, 13 in NZ and 21 in Zimb.

Cricinfo Statsguru - Z Khan - Test matches - Bowling analysis

I just don't rate him, at all, the sooner India find another test quick the better.

If you are going by averages, then that really isn't fair. He's a changed bowler recently. His performances in India were spectacular, he didn't have the wickets to show for it, but was easily the best bowler against Eng and Aus. Pace, accuracy, swing, reverse swing, long spells, and all on flat pitches. And he did very well on his recent tours to RSA and Aus (Or atleast I think believe he did very well). Dunnow about WI/Pak/SL though.

Ive never really been bothered by things on the field, however some things off the field really frustrate me. When the team threatened to go home because things didn't go their way was a major part in this. SA would not have even considered this. Stuff like this is just throwing your weight in money around, and shouldn't be part of the game.
It was a decision made by the board, not the players. None of the Indian fans were too happy about it, but you have to look at it from the eyes of the board and the players too. In a decision which could lead to the banning of a player, the judge concerned just took one side's word over the others, with no proof in between. That would make anyone mad. It wasn't the right move, but the players didn't actively said they would leave. It isn't fair to judge these players based on what their boards did.

Last edited:
I dont remember Aussies conducting well when they were dominating.

Actually he has, just not for the senior Indian team, but obviously it would be unfair and daft to look at his records from then to see how he is now or how he would fare now.

Sharma has never played in England.

So? If he can do well in the subcontinent, he can do well anywhere else.

saisrini80 added 2 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

I dont remember Aussies conducting well when they were dominating.

Absolutely. One of the biggest sledgers in the world who try to win by manipulating the opposition, and one of their greatest (I love him!) has coined it "Mental disintegration". What a pathetic thing! If they could remain world champions inspite of doing all this, I think any other team that can find the right mix and also the right method to counter obstacles can become world champions.

Right now, SA look a better team because India have not yet showed that they have mastered overseas conditions (they have shown improvement, but that aloone is not enough to be world beaters). Hopefully under Dhoni, India get the chance to correct it properly and emerge as true world beaters.

Will, we were discussing about Zaheer, not Sharma. :p Sharma hasn't played in England internationally...

Users who are viewing this thread