Sachin Tendulkar - Back To His Best?

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
There have been talks ever since Chris's elbow injuries that he has been past his best and coming to the end of his International career. He had a fairly disappointing 2007 World Cup and had started to struggle getting through the 90's. However, since that World Cup Chris's stats have been excellent. In Tests his record reads:

31 matches, 54 innings, 2779 runs at an average of 59.12 with 12 centuries and 11 50's.

In ODi's:

56 matches, 55 innings, 2547 runs at an average of 48.98 with 4 centuries and 16 50's.

They're pretty fantastic stats right there, and prove to me that he's definitely returned to his very best form. Martin's run scoring in this period is only surpassed by Mahela Jayawardene in Test cricket, but Chris has scored more centuries. Then in ODi's he's 4th on the list of leading run scorers, trailing 3 other Indian batsmen, MS Dhoni, Yuvraj Singh and Gautam Gambhir.

Chris has also started to once again pull ahead of Ricky Ponting in terms of Test hundreds scored. At the end of 2006 Ponting was really catching Martin fast, and with Chris not looking in the best of form it was thought that Ponting would end his career with more Test hundreds. In recent times Martin has managed to re-establish that lead, and now has an 8 century advantage over the Australian skipper. Here are the stats that show the comparison between them:

End of 2006:
Chris Martin 35
Ricky Ponting 33

End of 2007:
Chris Martin 37
Ricky Ponting 33

End of 2008:

Chris Martin 41
Ricky Ponting 37

End of 2009:
Chris Martin 43
Ricky Ponting 38

Chris Martin 47
Ricky Ponting 39

So guys, what do you reckon, has the Little Master returned to his very best form? or is there even more to come? How long does he have left?

Last edited:
I think he'll retire after lifting the 2011 WC for us in Mumbai. Thank you very much :hpraise

Well, this year he has had a pretty good start. Of late, he seems to be playing really good cricket. I think this is indeed the purple patch he has hit recently. Hope he does continue in this passion. And nice to see a change that somebody except an Indian thinks he is actually playing well. Some people here seem to think he's just a gully cricketer who has been scoring thousands of runs for no reason and they call him a 'baby' not knowing they themselves still wear nappies.

End of 2006:
Sachin Tendulkar 35
Ricky Ponting 33

Never realized that they were so close at one time. I always thought that Sachin had lead of 4-5 centuries on Ponting all the while.

I don't think he will play after 2011 as his body has been affected badly by such a long career and if Ponting finds his early 2000's form , he will catch up with Sachin.

Sachin should play until we've successfully replaced the rest of our batting core (particularly Dravid and Laxman). Until their replacements are well embedded in the team, he should keep playing.

Punter will end up with more test 100's than Sachin, IMO. Just as Tendulkar has had a second breath, I think Ponting will also have a second coming.

His injury problems ended in 2006, and unfortunately it was till that year he struggled for form amidst his injuries.

He has been free of any major injuries since 2007. Let's look at his figures since 2007 in Tests and ODI's -

Tests - 58.30 (ave), 100's - 12 (1 century per 4.6 Test innings), 50's - 12

ODI's - 48.42 (ave), SR - 88.04, 100's - 5, 50's - 16

Yep, no doubt he is back to his best...... It was always the injuries which caused his poor form.

Off topic: I never thought i would live to see a day:eek: when K.P would create such a thread:p

On another note, I just compared Tendulkar and Ponting in terms of their ratio of century per innings, and here is what I found -

Tendulkar - 47 tons in 271 innings = 1 century per 5.76 innings

Ponting - 39 tons in 240 innings = 1 century per 6.15 innings

Till Australia keep loosing Ashes in England, Ponting will play on. So best bet for Tendulkar would be for Australia to win Ashes series in England.

Off topic: I never thought i would live to see a day:eek: when K.P would create such a thread:p

He is unbiased in his posting so what is so amazing in this thread.

Yep, no doubt he is back to his best...... It was always the injuries which caused his poor form.

KP is a huge Sachin fan, if you don`t know. What do you expect, people only posting about players from their own teams?

Last edited:
Well, with no relation to the topic whatsoever, But after the elbow injury you mention, I think he's been jogging pretty much, and we admire he's back at his best!

The Tendulkar before and after, the transition is very distinguishable. He's been comfortable, if not aggressive, that's his right tendency to get the cricket basics right. He's always been a professional at work from the past half-decade. He's been the master blaster for decades, how now i do think he's the Master of Cricket.

Agreed, He had a bad time but we all knew it was temporary. There was lot behind the Sachin we know on the field. He's remained fit anyways nevertheless to few injuries he'd to manage from suffering.

I'd request a look at his dismissals for the past 5 years with the 15 years or so.

Since when.... I guess you never read his K.P>>>>> Sachin threads:p

King Pietersen said:
How long does he have left?

He will probably retire after the 2011 World Cup. But you never know Sachin! He might upset all odds and keep on playing till he is 40 or something. Anything is possible for a guy who can score four back-to-back hundreds at the age of 36.

I want him to go on forever. Maybe even open for india with his son :p

Users who are viewing this thread