Save Game Options: I can't be the only one that wants this feature..

Save Game options in DBC should include:

• Total voters

yusuf3d

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Why is it stupid? Because it's totally unecessecary and opens up tonnes of exploits in just about all the game modes. Save and exit is just fine, there's other more important things to tweak, saving a game isn't one of them.
If BIGGS say its not necessary then end of story. DBC 14 Rokxx:spy

ashidashraf

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
A.Biggs gives sometimes wrong decision....If you have a review, go for it:p

ideofunk

School Cricketer
I would probably not have supported an auto-save initially, but today experienced my first crash (after I achieved my first 5-for in career mode).

The fielders congregated on the pitch and nothing would advance the game - selecting any option including "Save and exit" queued up but would not complete.

Had to start the entire innings again..

Lebanna

Club Captain
I wouldn't mind an auto-save at the end of each innings. I generally get to play the game once/twice a week, but for 2-4 hours at a time. I can therefore easily be sitting through a full 4day or test match and my computer as developed a nasty habit of blue screening when bored. When it happens in the 4th innings it is very frustrating.

I recognise that it is my computer's fault that this happens and I'm working on teaching it alternate ways to counteract boredom. Generally if you save after each innings, you're not allowing people to build up say 10 wickets or a double century in any way different to the current state, but it does ensure that you keep the state of the match at its naturally break points.

Food for thought anyway.

adikal

Club Captain
Generally if you save after each innings, you're not allowing people to build up say 10 wickets or a double century in any way different to the current state

What keeps getting lost is that there is save-and-exit option in the game already which can be used to build up to whatever personal glory (10 wickets, double century) people want, but somehow that is not considered 'cheating', but having a quick-save or auto-save is. It makes no sense.

The other, most important point lost in this thread is what @barmyarmy said earlier:

I think Ross said that the system they have in place was required by Sony/MS to stop leaderboard manipulation?

Can someone elaborate on this? What exactly is the issue here and why can't there be a workaround -- e.g., maybe the use of quick-save or auto-save should make the game ineligible for the online leaderboards? I think one of the earlier cricket games had this - BLIC or ICC? I don't care about the leaderboard or flaunting how good am I at this game; all I care about is not getting endlessly frustrated when something like ^^ (ideofunk) said happens.

Last edited:

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
general point being made said:
I think with an option in game to just save, people will just cheat and then brag that they got 100 and that will just be annoying for all PC members.

This seems to be the main concern. In that case, this is definitely the PC members' problem that they cant hack someone else getting a century using the save game option.

I don't understand why people have a problem with 'options that are not being forced on you'. Same was the case with the fielding radar debate.

If you believe in the nobility of scoring a hundred without (mis)using the save feature, then simply don't quit the game and restart when you get out on 99. Right ?

Lebanna

Club Captain
What keeps getting lost is that there is save-and-exit option in the game already which can be used to build up to whatever personal glory (10 wickets, double century) people want, but somehow that is not considered 'cheating', but having a quick-save or auto-save is. It makes no sense.

Not 100% sure if you're agreeing with me or not, so just to be clear - I agree with you!

My point was that an autosave at the end of each innings wouldn't change the current state as people can still "cheat" by save & exit and reloading. The auto-save will just prevent crashes from forcing us to replay entire matches when we're on the last wicket in the 4th innings..

adikal

Club Captain
I should note that in spite of the critics in this thread, we have 70 votes so far on the poll, and even though it is a multiple choice poll (that was unintentionally created on my part, sorry), we can safely assume that no sane person would vote for option 4 (no change to current system) along with one of the other options.

Hence, we know that 45 people want at least some change to the save system (either auto-save, quick-save or both) while 25 prefer things as they are.

In other words, 65% of people would like to see the save feature enhanced! @BigAntStudios I'm hoping you notice this.

---
ps. Yes, 70 folk is a tiny sample :)

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Your maths is as terrible as your ability to interpret your own poll results...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Care to elaborate?

IMO you should have opted for radiobutton instead of checkbox as a poll option, i.e. folks can only select one option instead of multiple. So now you will have to assume folks who selected 4th option didn't select any other. Anyway it does look folks want the 'Quick Save/Save without exit' feature.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Elaborate? I already did.

there's other more important things to tweak, saving a game isn't one of them.

The largest two "responses" to your completely unscientific poll are "leave it the way it is" and "leave it the way it is, just don't exit out" I have no idea how you get 65% in favor of an arbitrary change that allows players to cheat their way to high scores more easily.

The whole concept of the game is actually playing it, not spending time in sub menus saving progress or mucking about with a billion save files of various games clogging up your hard-drive.

Just play the damn thing.

adikal

Club Captain
Elaborate? I already did.

The largest two "responses" to your completely unscientific poll are "leave it the way it is" and "leave it the way it is, just don't exit out" I have no idea how you get 65% in favor of an arbitrary change that allows players to cheat their way to high scores more easily.

The whole concept of the game is actually playing it, not spending time in sub menus saving progress or mucking about with a billion save files of various games clogging up your hard-drive.

Just play the damn thing.

Well, here goes:

1. I definitely agree that the poll should have been radio button but I accidentally set it multiple choice as I mentioned in my post and I saw no easy way to edit it when I created the post. Having said that, the assumption that only a moron would vote for option 4 *and* one of the other options is a good one. So there's nothing wrong in my interpretation of the votes at all.
2. I never said it being scientific. No poll on this site is going to be scientific esp. given the small sample size which I also noted in my post. The point was to simply gauge opinion and bring it to the attention of the devs if they cared.
3. If you actually cared to read what I wrote, I said 65% wanted some change, which is again correct. Oh btw, 45/70 = 0.65 - you might need a calculator for that.
4. Whether it's cheating or not is your opinion. Somehow 'save and exit' is not cheating but 'save without exit' is. Amazing logic.
5. Yes, I'm very worried about clogging up my hard drive

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner

I think the key point here is convenience. If you had a save-and-continue option, I can bet that a lot of people will do that every over or every ball (if made possible). I sure as hell would have done it.

But since it requires a relatively longer time to resume the game again with the current system, a majority of them wouldn't think about doing it that frequently (another key point). Yes, even with the current system people will abuse it, but the percentage will be very low.

Users who are viewing this thread