Schofield takes Lanashire to Court

Will p

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Chris Schofield, the former England legspinner who was released by Lancashire at the end of last season, is taking his old county to court after claiming he was unfairly dismissed.

Schofield, 26, was once cited as one of England's brightest young prospects, and played two Tests in 2000. But he did not bowl on his debut against Zimbabwe at Lord's and was then dropped for good one match and 18 wicketless overs later.

He was even awarded one of the first batch of ECB central contracts, but his career never recovered from this premature promotion and he was a peripheral figure throughout Lancashire's disastrous season in 2004, in which they were relegated from the first division of the county championship, despite starting the season as favourites.

Schofield claims that his dismissal came out of the blue, adding that according to the terms of his contract, he ought to have undergone an appraisal before any decision was reached. "There were an unfortunate series of events in cricketing terms which prevented Chris being told he was being released until the end of the season," Ian Smith, the Professional Cricketers' Association legal adviser, told The Daily Telegraph.

Schofield has yet to find a new county, although Durham and Sussex are reported to have shown some interest. His case is due to be heard in Manchester on April 12, the day before Lancashire's first match of the 2005 season.

Source: Cricinfo

What do you English fans think?

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting..... Crawley took Lancashire to court over his dismissal a few years back too, so Lancashire are used to this.....

It's a real shame what happened to Schofield, a real performer at Under 19 and England A level, but rushed into the senior side way too early. Then forgotten about at Lancashire with Murali playing in 2001, and Gary Keedy becoming England's best spinner. He could have been one of the greats.....

Will p

International Cricketer
Yeah I feel the same one of those players that they handled badly and he lost dearly because of it, i just hope Kent sign him because i dont think he has lost all hope, he is still young and i think he could still become a quality spinner!

Will p

International Cricketer
Yeah although i would't pick him because of it! I think he might work his way back into the England side, he just has to keep performing...as for sueing Lancashire well, what can you say, its only them who knows what really happened

Users who are viewing this thread