Shots ALWAYS fly in a straight line...

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
I mentioned this countless times in the past, and have had a Big-Ant rep tell me that "the ball does curve in flight, after all why does it go up.............then down.........in its flight path...........".

He/she clearly didn't understand what I had stated, or were having fun with what COULD be construed as being to cover up the coding deficiencies in the Big-Ant team (I strongly believe that the coding team are very capable of giving batted shots real ball physics if they are not being held back........possibly they have been told to keep all shots in a STRAIGHT LINE for this game to aid other coded sections of the game, i.e. fielding reactions, that are maybe not up to scratch............because if CPU fielding cannot judge the end postioning of where a shot will land, it will look like the CPU fielding isn't coded very well)

For a game to have such amazing ball physics for EVERY aspect EXCEPT when the ball is struck by the bat (possibly a big part of real cricket.........), is truly surreal.

All lofted shots fly 100% straight, you simply have to watch a replay in slow motion from the moment it leaves the bat and travels towards the outfield. Ok......the ball deviates in direction for low shots every time it bounces in the outfield, but comically, it deviates back in the original direction on the 2nd bounce, etc etc with each bounce making it spin something like 5 degrees left or right and then the reverse for the next bounce. Ultimately, the ball still ends up heading towards the same direction is was heading when it left the bat, REGARDLESS of any natural side-spin on the ball that would have been imparted from the bat stroke.

I have always thought Cricket was reliant heavily on spin..........in all aspects of the game......maybe Big-Ant are purposely restricting this version in order to introduce batted strokes with real ball physics next time around...........??

The ball physics mathematics that are coded for the bowling, and non-batted deflections in the pitch area, are very very good and for me are the best ever (very, very organic)...............but oh no Pedro, lets just make these "batted" shots ALL fly in a straight line shall we.........cos no-one out there bothers to look at replays for the actual damn shots (except me of course and those few that back me up on this)!! Many a shot in real life curves in the air before its bounces/is caught/becomes a boundary, so why not make this happen in this game to TRULY be untouchable as a game? All ball based sports games have ball physics that 0.1% of the time has a ball moving in a solidly straight direction.....except lazily coded sections of certain games......

Quite clearly, the ball physics from the bowlers release, as well as the defection ball physics when the ball hits glove, pad, anything other than the actual Cricket Bat.............are the best ever.

I've watched as patch after patch comes out and STILL the ball flies perfectly straight (laterally, i.e. no sidespin/aftertouch/swerve/bend/real life ball spin effect etc) via whichever kind of bat stoke is played, I know this after watching slow replays of all the shots I and the CPU have made so far from the original release and up to the latest patched version.

Why oh why, is this still the case? To back up what I said above, a year or two ago the Big-Ant rep told me that "we know about this and it made it easier for us to code the fielding, as fielders would have to judge side-spin on the "batted ball" when working out where to stand/run to try and catch/field the ball.......", but surely they would have felt this wasn't the way to leave this bloody big part of their games, unless they felt, or feel, that "the moment the batsmen strikes the ball with his bat, shall have no ball physics related to it, lets let it fly in a damn straight line, shall we, and let it not be noticed by anyone except those that watch the replays!..............Oh yes indeedy!"

I am astounded that not one individual on this site has mentioned this yet (unless I have missed your post(s).....apologies if so.......), as you only have to watch a live or televised game to see a "batted ball" swerving in flight depending on what cut or angle the bat struck the ball at.....................ok not greatly, but it DOES move in flight regardless of the weight of a cricket ball and the fact that we are talking bat on ball and not hand on ball imparting spin.

Please Big-Ant, before someone else notices this and is shocked by this, fix this in the game using the same ball physics you have applied to the bowling and ball deflections not involving the bat coding...........if you can do this, the game is set to NEVER be outdone by any future competitors.....

Apologies to anyone who might think I have repeated myself a lot above but I am truly astonished that no-one else, unless I have missed your post(s), has mentioned this very same subject before...

Last edited:
Man you have a weird fetish.

Yes mate, fetish. Its the same as wanting a Golf game to depict a ball, in flight, swerving left or right, you know, only something like 99% of the game in terms of hitting the ball correctly.

I admit.............that a heavy cricket ball hardly imparts any sidespin when hit, even if hit heavily to a boundary, but for the only reactions to my telling them that the ball travels in a STRAIGHT LINE to be "fetish" and "wow" makes me wonder if any of you lot on here actually watch slow motion replays of cricket shots or even understand how a ball should move in flight? Forums for other sports games are full of users posting a wish for "better curling crosses in FIFA/PES", or "more realistic ball movement in the air in the latest Tiger Woods/Rory "The Man Utd Twat" McIlroy golf game", but it seems only poor old me is running with this, lol.

All over this forum are people talking, quite rightly, about spin imparted on a ball during the bowling phase (and how the ball moves in the game during this phase), but maybe, just maybe Cricket balls in real life travel in a PURE straight line when it leaves the bat...............amazing, maybe a cricket ball actually weighs the same as a Car?

I put this down to no-one else actually looking at this ball flight.........its probably best that everyone ignores my posts about bat on ball "ball flight", and they can carry on with their "this game has amazing ball physics".

Lets simplify things:-

- Ball physics when the ball leaves the bowler hand - Perfect, amazing, incredible even, and I mean that, it makes my pet hate even more amplified.

- Ball physics when the ball deflects of glove or the batsmen's body - Perfect, amazing, incredible even, and I mean that, it makes my pet hate even more amplified.

- Ball physics when the ball leaves the batsmen's cricket bat - 1986 Amiga 500/Atari ST ball physics...........the ball once it leaves the bat goes in a pure 100% straight line......

I think most forum users who read this or reply to this with comments making it seem that I am mad as a hatter (I am mad, but not for these reasons!!!) haven't even bothered, or are not interested (each to their own), in ball flight physics, and are happy for this game to be real life in every phase of the game up until the moment the batsman hits the ball.

I will leave it at that, I'm so happy for all you guys who are obsessed with ball physics in one part of the game, but not the other. Its a bit like releasing a Tennis game where all ground strokes travel 100% in a straight line, this actually happened in the overrated Top Spin 3, thank god for the games that came out after that that has these ground strokes moving in flight, after all, how else could a Tennis game depict Rafa Nadal's bending ground strokes.....

@MattW can you please look further into this games balls?

@dazzer169, do you really think the ball deviating off the bat, instead of going in a straight line, really the most important aspect of the game? This is something you would want to address once you have nailed the game, including AI, more in depth career, stable & glitch-free online gameplay, better field sets & positions etc. Do you really think Big Ant should stop focusing on these high priority items and work on ball deviation angles? What's the payback for them in doing so? Most people wouldn't even know what Big Ant are talking about even if they work on it and advertise it on the back cover of the game. I doubt anyone would be swayed to buy the game based on this "feature".

As for golf, it's a different ball game altogether. The game revolves around the ball being hit as far as possible, mostly in the air, to a specific location. Cricket's objective and core gameplay is quite different. In this respect golf would be closer to baseball than cricket. And FIFA fans can wish for "curling passes" and golf fans can expect an out of the world feature from next iteration of Tiger Woods game but cricket game is not FIFA or Tiger Woods. DBC is in it's nascent stage and comparing it to well established and hugely popular games with a humongous fan base is frankly being naive and ignorant.

Last edited:
If you recall that Big Ant have stated many times that graphics and physics are separate systems (ie that the physics calculates an outcome, and the graphics represent that) it's highly possible the end point of the ball is calculated using all these spins and deviations in the physics, and the graphics represents that as a straight line for performance reasons.

Or it could be a massive conspiracy to wind up the 3% of people to have noticed and cared.

Hard to say; could really be either...

If you recall that Big Ant have stated many times that graphics and physics are separate systems (ie that the physics calculates an outcome, and the graphics represent that) it's highly possible the end point of the ball is calculated using all these spins and deviations in the physics, and the graphics represents that as a straight line for performance reasons.

Or it could be a massive conspiracy to wind up the 3% of people to have noticed and cared.

Hard to say; could really be either...
@dazzer169, do you really think the ball deviating off the bat, instead of going in a straight line, really the most important aspect of the game? This is something you would want to address once you have nailed the game, including AI, more in depth career, stable & glitch-free online gameplay, better field sets & positions etc. Do you really think Big Ant should stop focusing on these high priority items and work on ball deviation angles? What's the payback for them in doing so? Most people wouldn't even know what Big Ant are talking about even if they work on it and advertise it on the back cover of the game. I doubt anyone would be swayed to buy the game based on this "feature".

As for golf, it's a different ball game altogether. The game revolves around the ball being hit as far as possible, mostly in the air, to a specific location. Cricket's objective and core gameplay is quite different. In this respect golf would be closer to baseball than cricket. And FIFA fans can wish for "curling passes" and golf fans can expect an out of the world feature from next iteration of Tiger Woods game but cricket game is not FIFA or Tiger Woods. DBC is in it's nascent stage and comparing it to well established and hugely popular games with a humongous fan base is frankly being naive and ignorant.

To quote Ronnie O'Sullivan (greatest Snooker player of all time in terms of talent) on Talksport radio recently in the UK (and bear in mind he spends a lot of time looking down his cue witnessing balls rolling, spinning, sliding, bumping etc)...........he said this:-

"i dont think Cricket coverage on the television is as good as it could be, you get the view of the bowler bowling the ball, with all its trajectory turns and spins caused by the bowlers intentions or otherwise, and yet when the batsmen hits the ball, the camera pans to a fielder, or the outfield with no one around, and all you see is either a catch, a dropped catch, a shot that is picked up by a fielder, or it goes to the boundary and is a 4 or a 6.........as a "player", he wants to see more than that, he wants to see a televised Golf style line drawn to show the ball trajectory off the bat"

Now the thing is, what he says I obviously fully agree with, except for the Golf televised coverage line drawn on screen to show the ball trajectory in the air, which is too over the top and quite difficult for a televised broadcast to show accurately in real time, but the thing is a game doesn't have to be restricted like this, all it needs to have, and its comical to have to keep stating this..........................is ball physics coded to show the ball moving in the air, i.e. a spin affected trajectory.............no excuses by anyone on here, about the coders concentrating on other things, can hide from this, they did it great for the bowling and glove/pads deflections, so why not from something FAIRLY important in Cricket...............yes, the Bat...................enough said.

As for the comment:- "Do you really think Big Ant should stop focusing on these high priority items and work on ball deviation angles?" -- so why is it that they have comfortably done this "work on ball deviation angles" for the more complex bowling and ball deflections off the glove or pad? There is no excuse at all to have ALL SHOTS IN THIS GAME TRAVEL 100% STRAIGHT, and I cannot believe I am the only one who seems to have noticed this.

Now for the killer comment, I will be honest and admit I am not a massive Cricket fan, but.............I am obsessed with checking out all sports games, to look for realistic ball physics and organic AI gameplay, and its only Cricket games (DBC isn't the only one) that don't seem to want to make every aspect of the game have true "every shot is different, watch the ball move in the air due to spin".

So hats off to coders of non-Cricket games for making their games, in this technically great 2015 era, have amazingly real ball physics for all of their games and not just a few parts............it seems Cricket games will always want to restrict themselves from being realistic..............and of course as one of the Big Ant reps stated a year or so ago "the coders had to make all shots fly straight otherwise the AI fielders kept ending up in the wrong positions to field the ball"............i.e., its a coding issue....I've coded and know how hard it is to get things right, but dont get it right for what surely is the hardest thing to get "right" (the bowling, the glove/pad deflections"), and have an excuse for the fielding...

**Watching the Ashes highlights tonight with England going really well, the amount of shots that bend in the air off the bat is so blatantly obvious**

...and of course as one of the Big Ant reps stated a year or so ago "the coders had to make all shots fly straight otherwise the AI fielders kept ending up in the wrong positions to field the ball"............i.e., its a coding issue....

If you're going to quote a post, you should really just link the post: I can't believe this is an exact quote?

To be fair, having fielders react to balls that swerve in the air and also bounce off the ground with back spin and what have you would be very tough.

Heck, it's tough in real life being an outfielder and have a ball bounce first a couple of metres in front of you with some back/side spin on it.

It would be nice to have this in the game but it's hardly a big deal. The fielding right now is very approximate, and hence this level of detail in the ball movement would be lost within the fact that the fielders move at rather random speeds, can jump huge distances etc.

Let's just get the fielding sorted out, yeah? Before we go making anyone's balls in the game do weird things.

....oh and cheerleaders. Let's get that happening.

I'm finding the AI fielding a lot less frustrating now that I'm on veteran. I think it's because you generally don't time the ball as well in veteran, so you can take quick singles in the infield. On pro you'd generally smash it straight to them a lot quicker, so quick singles were suicidal.

Users who are viewing this thread