South Africa in England July-Sept 2012

Might have been interesting tomorrow if KP was in the batting lineup, still South Africa's to lose from here. If England pull it off, no one will be able to say they didn't deserve to keep the number 1 spot, and likewise South Africa will have earnt it.

Hmm, tough, but not impossible. Just need a good session tonight, with hopefully, nobody getting out.

Cue the collapse tonight. :(

Game on! We may just be 20 runs short here but I think our bowlers will be equal to the task. My prediction - England 220 all out.

Hmm, tough, but not impossible. Just need a good session tonight, with hopefully, nobody getting out.

Cue the collapse tonight. :(

Really needs Strauss and Cook to put together an opening stand of some substance. Last time they both made 50+ was in Sri Lanka (2nd Test) They both made big scores against India last summer (3rd Test), last time they both made decent scores 2nd innings was Ashes 1st Test in 10/11 when they both made hundreds.

Backing the saffers to win it because England need to win

----------

Barbecue (Cook out), that's really torn it. Need 50+ from Strauss, Trott and Bell here to give us a shout, another wicket tonight and I think that's curtains.

I seem to recall lots of overnight run chases into the 5th day back in the 90s, you could tell they were going to fail - usually 1-2 down overnight

Hmm... Taylor and Bairstow to become heroes? Think this is only going one way now.

We've not been good enough all year. Cook, Strauss, Trott. All had poor form.
This 2-0 defeat was always on the cards I'm afraid.

Game over! already :facepalm

What odds the same four regular batsmen play in the next Test, maybe a recall for teeny Bopar.........................? Probably change a bowler or two, that's the usual "strategy".

I'd hate to think how much sheet England would be in had they played five bowlers, no Bairstow at six and no chance second time batting. Maybe we should play them at aunt sally, they've probably never heard of it but would probably still whip our behinds at it.

I'm not a big advocate of ditching players who've served us well, but I think either Strauss will stand down or maybe be axed. Apart from a handful of high points, we've been behind the eight ball throughout this series - AT HOME. If it wasn't for there being so many mediocre sides about our wins would be as rare as in the 90s where we picked off Sri Lanka until they got good, New Zealand and sometimes got draws and occaisional wins over the likes of South Africa and India, mainly at home. Good job the aussies are in crisis or we'd still be losing to them.

----------

Oh, and despite this being a crucial Test which BBC is quick to point out has the number one ranking at stake, they see KP's "golden duck" as a bigger front page headline than this crucial Test............. :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

----------

And for all the talk of how good England are, them being number one, blah blah blah, they KNOW they are going to lose, as do the rest of us. Hardly what you'd expect IF they were that good and were deserving number one

I'm really not understanding the England attitude here. There is no point in being so tentative and scoring so slowly. They don't have any option other than getting the runs and they're not gonna get them scoring at 1.23 per over. Sure they've lost two wickets but I'd rather die trying than bending over and taking it where the sun don't shine.

We've not been good enough all year. Cook, Strauss, Trott. All had poor form.
This 2-0 defeat was always on the cards I'm afraid.

To be fair on the other two, Strauss has had poor form for 2 and a half years. His calendar averages for 2010, 11 and 12 read: 34, 28 and 33.

Owzat - Indeed, the game has gone. I still think England are a very good side, but South Africa are better. Particularly in the batting stakes. Though we do need to be more ruthless with selections. It'll be joke if Bresnan starts ahead of Finn in India after his performance in this match.

There is a chance for England to prove they are true No. 1,

Need a Trott special tomorrow to stand any chance. It's the kind of chase where you need someone to get 180 or so with the rest batting around. Looking very unlikely though obviously.

I'm really not understanding the England attitude here. There is no point in being so tentative and scoring so slowly. They don't have any option other than getting the runs and they're not gonna get them scoring at 1.23 per over. Sure they've lost two wickets but I'd rather die trying than bending over and taking it where the sun don't shine.
They're not going to blaze away tonight when they've already lost two wickets, that would be suicide. Tomorrow, I'd expect them to be a lot more positive as you say, because they have to win. Trying to see off the new ball after Philander's start is no bad thing.
Though we do need to be more ruthless with selections. It'll be joke if Bresnan starts ahead of Finn in India after his performance in this match.
The question comes if we play two spinners in India, which we probably should and will do. Have the selectors got it in them to drop say Broad, to allow Finn to play? That's the issue for me.

Users who are viewing this thread