Spectating AI matches and some worrying AI findings

Binary

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Try not to be too down buddy - I've appreciated all your work on this thread (it's what persuaded me to buy the game - despite the problems you highlight). You've clearly run several AI matches - do you have any advice on my save game problem (post above)? I'm a couple hours in to W.Indies vs New Zealand..but I'm going to want to stop at some point and catch up on the Augusta Masters.

Windies not doing so good, btw - 5/92, first inns...

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Its the style of releasing a game with bugs that we've all picked up very quickly, and then expecting everyone to download a patch to fix it after two delays of original release. Patching is easier said than done for some of us who live in places without decent internet. I wish developers would consider this.

Anyway I've tried giving two cents to what I think is still a good game and suddenly AC13 is being mentioned, not sure where I brought that tragedy of a game up.

Anyway I'm out

People appreciate what you're doing but if the developer says that AI v AI matches will not give an accurate reflection then there's not much to add to this thread other than why not seeing as AI v AI is an important part of career mode?
Re the bugs thing, I think it's inevitable for the first iteration. It is annoying if you don't have great internet to get patches but it's better than the EA approach which is to totally disengage with the community post-release and not even consider patching issues. As such I think you're being a bit unfair on Big Ant.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Try not to be too down buddy - I've appreciated all your work on this thread (it's what persuaded me to buy the game - despite the problems you highlight). You've clearly run several AI matches - do you have any advice on my save game problem (post above)? I'm a couple hours in to W.Indies vs New Zealand..but I'm going to want to stop at some point and catch up on the Augusta Masters.

Windies not doing so good, btw - 5/92, first inns...

So far as saving games goes, you can't do it. I've had an ashes match cut short because of a power cut.

Seeing reasonable results, other than England winning all the time, but they are in game terms a similarly skilled side, if not in the recent ashes. Tailenders are too good and there are too many runouts, but in terms of simulation its streets ahead of the rest

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
So I've spectated eight test matches, one no result

Sri Lanka beat West Indies 3-0 and England beat Australia 4-0

Here is a full breakdown of batting and bowling averages for anyone who cares.

Attachments

• April batting averages.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 52
  • April bowling averages.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 25

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Is there a way to get the data into that format or did you create that long file by hand?

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Is there a way to get the data into that format or did you create that long file by hand?

My club uses a piece of software called cricket statz by red axe so I just made a new database

Pat

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
My club uses a piece of software called cricket statz by red axe so I just made a new database

But how did you feed the actual data (from the game) into that software?

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
But how did you feed the actual data (from the game) into that software?

Manually entering the scorecards and the data is produced for you.

AFAIK the spectating doesn't add to in game stats

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Patching is easier said than done for some of us who live in places without decent internet.

1) Get better internet. This isn't a valid excuse in 2014. Developers don't cater to the lowest common internet denominator. What do you want them to do, send you patch-updates on 3.5 inch floppy disk?

2) You're buying a cricket game, not a video package. Running AI vs AI matches while I'm sure is cute, you've brought a cricket GAME to play. I honestly don't expect R&D time and money is put into any game ever on the planet to produce realistic "AI Games" because it's a game you PLAY not watch being played!

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
1) Get better internet. This isn't a valid excuse in 2014. Developers don't cater to the lowest common internet denominator. What do you want them to do, send you patch-updates on 3.5 inch floppy disk?

2) You're buying a cricket game, not a video package. Running AI vs AI matches while I'm sure is cute, you've brought a cricket GAME to play. I honestly don't expect R&D time and money is put into any game ever on the planet to produce realistic "AI Games" because it's a game you PLAY not watch being played!

1) I don't care which denominator they cater to, after handing over a lot of dosh, I don't expect 5 runouts an innings. Could I have handed over R400 and then paid the next R300 when they release the patch? Why are we all standing up for companies who release buggy games? Is that how your face got on the umpiring roster?

2) As a significant part of your career player time is spent watching AI play AI, it is actually a valid sim. What I've seen watching the game is mirrored playing it as well. (tailenders too effective, test match slogging and appaling running, spinners taking hatfuls of wickets caught in the ring in FC games)

Wealey

ICC Board Member
1) I don't care which denominator they cater to, after handing over a lot of dosh, I don't expect 5 runouts an innings. Could I have handed over R400 and then paid the next R300 when they release the patch? Why are we all standing up for companies who release buggy games? Is that how your face got on the umpiring roster?

2) As a significant part of your career player time is spent watching AI play AI, it is actually a valid sim. What I've seen watching the game is mirrored playing it as well. (tailenders too effective, test match slogging and appaling running, spinners taking hatfuls of wickets caught in the ring in FC games)

To counter this, I just played South Africa and they piled on 500 plus against me at just over 4's. Had lovely dismissals!

To be honest if you have time to spend watching a game rather than playing a game then maybe your looking too hard for the bugs and errors.

I dint have a single runout in my innings due to the fact i dint throw the ball back when they went for a crazy run. Not idea, but did it bother me? Not really. Anyways they said it will be fixed.

If i sat and watched a game of Ai v Ai fifa i could bang on, on how unrealistic it was etc etc but it is still a game.

I also just got all SA tailenders out pretty cheaply on veteran as well so no worries there?

When you think of how much detail there is in this game, ball physics etc i feel that they an be excused a few bugs. Especially when they have pledged to fix.

In a nutshell bowled 130 overs and really there wasnt much to grumble about.
Unless i was sat there starring at every players movements!!!

kurtkz

Game Developer
I'm going to agree with Langeveldt here for one simple reason:

every interaction in career mode where you're not controlling the player, is simulated.

This fact, alone, makes the simulation extremely important. I'm not sure why people think that Langeveldt is trying to crucify BA here? He's just made an interesting investigation and come to some fairly solid conclusions.

If anything, he's helping guide BA as to what they should fix in future patches.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
I'm going to agree with Langeveldt here for one simple reason:

every interaction in career mode where you're not controlling the player, is simulated.

This fact, alone, makes the simulation extremely important. I'm not sure why people think that Langeveldt is trying to crucify BA here? He's just made an interesting investigation and come to some fairly solid conclusions.

If anything, he's helping guide BA as to what they should fix in future patches.

Fully agree with the career mode thing! No doubt, you want as realistic outcomes as possible.

But they have said it will be patched and that they will continue to address issues.

So surely go play a tour or something else knowing that the issues are being rectified rather than barking up the same tree annoying yourself further !?!?

kurtkz

Game Developer
@wealey88: See, that's where we differ. I didn't get from Langeveldt that he's annoyed about the fact that it's getting patched. He's annoyed that he might struggle to get the patch here in good ol' SA. As a fellow Saffer, I can confirm that the quality of your connection is definitely variable (and sometimes crazy expensive).

Again, it boils down to early adopter syndrome. I find that all the reviews about DBC don't mention these small(ish) problems, which will probably lead to more complaints of this nature.

Users who are viewing this thread